Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin/Zimmerman Trial

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The prosecution would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the account above is untrue.
    I won't lie. As a guy who got jumped a few times in my youth, I believe this story is 100% plausible, given what we've subsequently found out about Martin.

It's one reason I believe Martin's past and behaviour is and should be admissable, as I feel it's reflective on if someone is capable/willing to engage in bahavior consistent with Zimmerman's story.

You are correct on the time. This link is actually really informative. Gives accounts of Martin, Zimmerman and the various eye witness accounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin
    You can't trust Wiki for facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I won't lie. As a guy who got jumped a few times in my youth, I believe this story is 100% plausible, given what we've subsequently found out about Martin.

It's one reason I believe Martin's past and behaviour is and should be admissable, as I feel it's reflective on if someone is capable/willing to engage in bahavior consistent with Zimmerman's story.
    If you read what the wiki page stated, it states Zimmerman was in his car and rolled up his window as Martin circled it. Why would he get out of the car if he was in fear for his life? A smart person would call 911 and either stay in the safety of his vehicle or drive away.

Wiki is not a solid source of info, anyone can go in there and manipulate the page.

As to Martin's past it has absolutely nothing to do with the case what so ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    If you read what the wiki page stated, it states Zimmerman was in his car and rolled up his window as Martin circled it.
    Because Martin moved off and he lost sight of him (i.e. thought he was gone). He may also not have been in fear for his life at that stage. I was never in fear of my life BEFORE getting jumped, even in a threatening situation. After being jumped tho...

As to Martin's past it has absolutely nothing to do with the case what so ever.
    Agree to disagree. I think it could be reflective as to what one could expect him to do in teh situation as claimed by Zimmerman. If he had a history of jumping or beating up people who confronted or questioned him, IMO, thats a valid point to raise.

Have you ever followed someone for a long period of time and then get jumped by the person you're following? Doubt it.

Zimmerman didn't know Martin and therefore Martin's past is not relevant in a criminal case.

Because Martin moved off and he lost sight of him (i.e. thought he was gone). He may also not have been in fear for his life at that stage. I was never in fear of my life BEFORE getting jumped, even in a threatening situation. After being jumped tho...

Agree to disagree. I think it could be reflective as to what one could expect him to do in teh situation as claimed by Zimmerman. If he had a history of jumping or beating up people who confronted or questioned him, IMO, thats a valid point to raise.

Zimmerman didn't know Martin and therefore Martin's past is not relevant in a criminal case.
    Doesn't have to have known him for his past actions to be relevant IMO.

Obviously, the judge disagrees, hence the law (for now) disagrees.

Doesn't have to have known him for his past actions to be relevant IMO.

Obviously, the judge disagrees, hence the law (for now) disagrees.
    You would be able to get that in during a civil trial.

There is a difference between what is admissible in court and what is admissable in the court of public opinion. It's good that victims past histories are not admissable in court for obvious reasons (IE painting rape victims as promiscuous etc..) but in the Zimmerman case I agree with Fish that the past history has bearing in the court of public opinion.

The defense's case is that Martin attacked Zimmerman and Zimmerman feared for his life. If Martin was known for fighting a lot and trouble with the law etc it bolsters the plausibility of the defenses case. If Martin had never been in fights and/or violent altercations it bolsters the prosecutions case. None of it is admissable in court not is the fact that Martin had been staying with his father due to having been suspended from school for being caught with thief's tools in his locker.

You would be able to get that in during a civil trial.
    Yup.

Could still get it in the criminal trial, I believe, if the prosecution brings up certain aspects of Zimmeran's past as well. Doubtfult they'd go that route of course.

What type of kid were you during your teen years? Martin had a video of 2 homeless men fighting, what else do you know about him that made him a violent kid?

Zimmerman has a criminal history, not Martin, so I would tread lightly on the thug BS.

There is a difference between what is admissible in court and what is admissable in the court of public opinion. It's good that victims past histories are not admissable in court for obvious reasons (IE painting rape victims as promiscuous etc..) but in the Zimmerman case I agree with Fish that the past history has bearing in the court of public opinion.

The defense's case is that Martin attacked Zimmerman and Zimmerman feared for his life. If Martin was known for fighting a lot and trouble with the law etc it bolsters the plausibility of the defenses case. If Martin had never been in fights and/or violent altercations it bolsters the prosecutions case. None of it is admissable in court not is the fact that Martin had been staying with his father due to having been suspended from school for being caught with thief's tools in his locker.

What type of kid were you during your teen years? Martin had a video of 2 homeless men fighting, what else do you know about him that made him a violent kid?

Zimmerman has a criminal history, not Martin, so I would tread lightly on the thug BS.
    I didn't say any of that in my post. I said that IF he had a past history of violent confrontations it would add plausibility to the defenses case. I also said I recall hearing that he had been staying with his father due to having been suspended from school due to thief's tools having been found in his locker.

Here is the article:

Trayvon Martin was suspended from school three times in the months before he was shot dead by a neighborhood watchman, it emerged today.
    The new claims, revealed in a leaked report, paint a different picture of a teenager who frequently found himself in trouble with authorities.
    It was also revealed that he might have attacked a bus driver, according to a Twitter account that it is claimed belonged to the teen.
    The Miami Herald claims that in October, he was caught with a 'burglary tool' - a flathead screwdriver - and 12 pieces of women's jewellery. Martin insisted that they did not belong to him.
    Earlier, he had been suspended for skipping school and showing up late to class. And most recently, in February, he was suspended again when officials found a 'marijuana pipe' and an empty baggie with traces of the drug.
    The fresh claims are likely to be seized upon by supporters of George Zimmerman who say the teenager launched an unprovoked attack on the neighbourhood watch volunteer moments before Trayvon was shot dead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2WECKFXdJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 06-14-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Thought he was suspended for an empty baggy with marijuana residue within the baggy.

I didn't say any of that in my post. I said that IF he had a past history of violent confrontations it would add plausibility to the defenses case. I also said I recall hearing that he had been staying with his father due to having been suspended from school due to thief's tools having been found in his locker.

Here is the article:

Trayvon Martin was suspended from school three times in the months before he was shot dead by a neighborhood watchman, it emerged today.
    The new claims, revealed in a leaked report, paint a different picture of a teenager who frequently found himself in trouble with authorities.
    It was also revealed that he might have attacked a bus driver, according to a Twitter account that it is claimed belonged to the teen.
    The Miami Herald claims that in October, he was caught with a 'burglary tool' - a flathead screwdriver - and 12 pieces of women's jewellery. Martin insisted that they did not belong to him.
    Earlier, he had been suspended for skipping school and showing up late to class. And most recently, in February, he was suspended again when officials found a 'marijuana pipe' and an empty baggie with traces of the drug.
    The fresh claims are likely to be seized upon by supporters of George Zimmerman who say the teenager launched an unprovoked attack on the neighbourhood watch volunteer moments before Trayvon was shot dead.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2WECKFXdJ
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What type of kid were you during your teen years?
    The big athletic kind who didn't have to worry so much unless a whole rack of heads rolled up on me.

Which they did, sadly, on occasion.

In some cases, kids who looked just like Martin. Ins oem cases, kids who looked just like Zimmerman. Or just like me.

Point being, kids do exactly the kind of thing Zimmerman claims. Regularly.

"Tread Lightly"? Why, because the usual suspects will scream racism?

I'm not overly concerned.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    He called 911 and he was watching for criminal behavior. He got out to pursue a criminal probably to keep him from getting away before the police arrived unless his intent was to kill him. Now if he thought he was a criminal which he did since he called 911 and he was trying to prevent him from getting away until the police arrived and he had a gun, what makes you think he didn't have it out and if he didn't how was he supposed to hold him? Maybe he thought since he outweighed him by 60 pounds he could physical confront him?

I think he is either stupid or a cold blooded murderer. I lean toward stupid. Yes it's speculation but his word isn't good enough based on his action. There should be DNA from Martin under his nails and in his head and I suspect if he feared for his life lots of Martins DNA in his gun hand unless he couldn't defend with that hand because the gun was out. Martin presumably came from him head on. Zimmerman's strong hand is presumably his gun hand. there should be Martin DNA under his nails if he was in a fight for his life.
    Are you sh*ttin' me?

If you're unarmed and someone has a gun pointed at you, would your first instinct be to run or to charge in like you're John f*cking Matrix?

This isn't the movies.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 06-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Zimmerman has a police record not Martin. Neighborhood watch groups are all told "DO NOT CONFRONT".

How can you be a gov employee? You have no objectivity. Drug user, thief, tossed out of school. Have you seen his facebook page. Thug wannabe.
    Zimmerman got arrested for interfering in a situation with a friend. Not exactly a big deal. Police threaten people all the time with that.

Have you ever followed someone for a long period of time and then get jumped by the person you're following? Doubt it.

Happens in combat all the time. Happened to me and my unit more than once. Happens to police a lot as well. It's called an ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    How can you be a gov employee? You have no objectivity. Drug user, thief, tossed out of school. Have you seen his facebook page. Thug wannabe.
    Zimmerman got arrested for interfering in a situation with a friend. Not exactly a big deal. Police threaten people all the time with that.
    You forgot Zimmerman also had a restraining order against him as well.
    In your simple world getting arrested isn't a big deal but school suspension is and oh yea, his Facebook page. Yea, you're objective.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Happens in combat all the time. Happened to me and my unit more than once. Happens to police a lot as well. It's called an ambush.
    Holy sh1t, who gives a f5ck about what "you" did or have done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lol.

I love it when old f*cks use the word "thug". Makes them look like old idiots that have trouble peeing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Lol.

I love it when old f*cks use the word "thug". Makes them look like old idiots that have trouble peeing.
    Really?

Rappers have used that sh*t so much like it's going out of style.