Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin/Zimmerman Trial

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin/Zimmerman Trial

The preliminaries have begun. Assume we'll want to cover it, given how much attention it got here.

Pre-Trial Round 1, Zimmerman takes a massive defeat, as almost all of Martin's background, drug use (apparently including that Martin had THC in his system when he was killed), alleged criminal/mischivious past, previous thefts, his alleged violent rhetoric text messages and his cellphones pictures of him holding a gun have been tossed out as inadmissable.

The character and history of the victim, which the defense appears to believe painted Martin (and his possible violent reactiont o Zimmerman that night) in a more accurate light as a violent drug-using thug than the angelic much-younger pcitures bandied about, is now completely out.

For our resident Lawyer(s), how mcuh damage does this do to the Zimmerman defense?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait until this thing is over.

Hopefully nobody gets hurt in the process.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I can't wait until this thing is over.

Hopefully nobody gets hurt in the process.
    Can me a cynic, but the only chance of that is if Zimmerman is found guilty and has the book thrown at him in the formof a maximum sentence. Anything less, and I'd expect a violent reaction in response.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Zimmerman gets convicted it would be a big shock to me. The evidence in the case is fairly clear cut.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Anything less, and I'd expect a violent reaction in response.
    March 2012: Students protesting the Trayvon Martin ransacked and looted a Walgreens they stole items and trashed the store knocking over shelves breaking other items and throwing things on to the floor running through the store 400 dollars of merchandise was stolen and broken but the list was not finished.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRQpMBQskT0

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The preliminaries have begun. Assume we'll want to cover it, given how much attention it got here.

Pre-Trial Round 1, Zimmerman takes a massive defeat, as almost all of Martin's background, drug use (apparently including that Martin had THC in his system when he was killed), alleged criminal/mischivious past, previous thefts, his alleged violent rhetoric text messages and his cellphones pictures of him holding a gun have been tossed out as inadmissable.

The character and history of the victim, which the defense appears to believe painted Martin (and his possible violent reactiont o Zimmerman that night) in a more accurate light as a violent drug-using thug than the angelic much-younger pcitures bandied about, is now completely out.

For our resident Lawyer(s), how mcuh damage does this do to the Zimmerman defense?
    I smell appeals; especially if the prosecution attempts to portray Martin as saintly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason it reminds me of the Kennedy rape case years ago.

Was Tray wearing provacative clothing? Why was this character stuff admissible then but not now?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    If Zimmerman gets convicted it would be a big shock to me. The evidence in the case is fairly clear cut.
    It makes you wonder why the defense would want to attack the character of a dead youth if the evidence is clear cut?

If Martin had a gun in his backpack or a gun was recovered in close proximity then pics with guns would become relevant. He was just exercising his 2nd amend rights.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zimmerman's attorneys knew that none of the stuff would be admissible. The fact that those pictures, texts and reports were made public is a major victory for him. The entire jury pool has now seen those pictures and read those text messages.

And when you have POTUS and the Rev ignorantly chiming in, that only stokes the fire. Regardless of the outcome of the trial very little will be done to change people's opinion no matter which side they are on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Zimmerman's attorneys knew that none of the stuff would be admissible. The fact that those pictures, texts and reports were made public is a major victory for him. The entire jury pool has now seen those pictures and read those text messages.
    This.

I expect this to end with a hung jury.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Not much. They can't really have expected to get victim-character evidence in (though if the prosecution opens the door by discussing Martin as a "good kid" they will get it all in). The only point of raising it was to (hopefully) taint the jury pool by making it more likely that the prospective jurors will have already seen this stuff. (Charitably, you can call it responding to the previous taint of the "Martin as good kid" media exposure).

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my bottom line on this, if you have the gun you don't have to get close enough to be struck. You can stand back and do all the talking, and dialing you need to or shoot as a last resort. This judges son is a stroker.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The radio said something about possible evidence taken from the 911 call. Somehow they cleaned up the background noise in the phone call and it sounds like Martin begging for his life.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite part is how the defense was trying to portray Treyvon as a dangerous criminal.

When it was only Zimmerman who has been arrested before. Battery of a police officer? Domestic violence?

Sounds like a swell guy. LOOK!! That kid smokes the pots!!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    The radio said something about possible evidence taken from the 911 call. Somehow they cleaned up the background noise in the phone call and it sounds like Martin begging for his life.
    Find a source for this yet....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    My favorite part is how the defense was trying to portray Treyvon as a dangerous criminal.

When it was only Zimmerman who has been arrested before. Battery of a police officer? Domestic violence?

Sounds like a swell guy. LOOK!! That kid smokes the pots!!
    I hear ya but Trayvon's problems went beyond smoking pot...not that it means he deserved to die...just shows he wasn't the 12 year old angel the media still tries to portray him as.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I hear ya but Trayvon's problems went beyond smoking pot...not that it means he deserved to die...just shows he wasn't the 12 year old angel the media still tries to portray him as.
    Indeed.

And Florida really shouldn't let wife beaters and people who take swings at cops have guns and patrol neighborhoods in search of his lost manhood.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Indeed.

And Florida really shouldn't let wife beaters and people who take swings at cops have guns and patrol neighborhoods in search of his lost manhood.
    Also true.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    It makes you wonder why the defense would want to attack the character of a dead youth if the evidence is clear cut?

If Martin had a gun in his backpack or a gun was recovered in close proximity then pics with guns would become relevant. He was just exercising his 2nd amend rights.
    Sorry but its pretty obvious what happened there. Zimmerman as part of the neighborhood watch was following the kid through the neighborhood. He calls the police to report a suspicious activity. Kid sees Zimmerman, confronts him then attacks him. T- "you got a problem" Z- "no" T - "well you do now" (Punch, Slam). Zimmerman takes some punches to the head. Evidence of a struggle. Then he shoots the kid in self defense.

Is it possible that Martin beat Zimmermans ass then was backing off when a now enraged Zimmerman pulls the gun and shoots? Sure. Can it be proven? Unlikely. The evidence was that Zimmerman was attacked first. Then the gun shot.

The idea that Martin had a gun or anything like that is not only irrelevant but something you just made up. No one has ever claimed that to be the case. What is relevant is the thug nature of Martin who had been suspended for having thief's tool kits at school and who tweeted about beating up bus drivers. It is relevant because the case is essentially about proving that Martin attacked first and Zimmerman feared for his safety.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 05-31-2013 at 10:52 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    Was that NBC news or some other media outlet. When this story came out NBC was able to manipulate the phone call to make it sound like Zimmerman was following the kid because he was black. That was just deceptive editing. I have no doubt they would try and edit a tape to make it sound like little 12 year old Trayvon was begging for mercy. I don't believe it for a second. Its much more likely that Zimmerman was begging for mercy as the "kid" was almost twice his size.