Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no OTA News this year?

All Pro

Why no OTA News this year?

Saw some reports from the day that Sanchez threw three picks but really nothing else. There have been other days, correct? Have the Jets changed their access policies?

(Also, why am I getting so many web attacks on this site today (Norton calls it "Malicious Java Download 13"?)

All League
    Charter JI Member

This is from the 2012 NFL media policy - not sure what changes, if any, were made for this year (couldn't find one listed) if no changes have been made, it looks like the Jets are allowing minimal access per NFL policy. One media day for every three OTA days.

There was one day open to the Media last week and only one open this week (tomorrow)

http://www.pfwa.org/2012MP.pdf

OFFSEASON PROGRAM (OTAs) – To enhance publicity during the offseason and help
    keep the NFL in the news on a year-round basis, clubs must open to the media at least
    one of every three Organized Team Activity (OTA) days. In addition, it is recommended
    that clubs open to the media the first OTA session of the year. The purpose of opening
    at least one of every three OTA days (not one-third of the total number of OTAs but one
    of every three) is for media to have at least one mandatory access day in each of the
    four weeks of Phase Three of a club’s offseason workouts as described in
    Article 21 of the CBA. This means that on these designated days teams must 1) make
    players available to the media for interviews, either in the locker room or elsewhere at
    the club’s facility, and 2) open the OTA on-field session to the media in its entirety. It is
    permissible to limit the videotaping or photographing of certain portions of these
    sessions. These mandatory offseason media sessions are in addition to the veteran
    minicamps that must be open to the media in their entirety as described above. Any
    media access to Phase One or Phase Two of offseason workouts is a club
    decision.
    Last edited by IndianaJet; 05-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    unlike in the days of Blabberbaum the GM providing barcaloungers for the media to watch everything and Rex running wild at the mouth, the Jets are following NFL policy this year. The Jackal Jackasses have been allowed in for the ONE OTA each week that they are entitled under league rules and have had their poison pens barred from viewing the OTAs on the other days

Much better way to do business

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    unlike in the days of Blabberbaum the GM providing barcaloungers for the media to watch everything and Rex running wild at the mouth, the Jets are following NFL policy this year. The Jackal Jackasses have been allowed in for the ONE OTA each week that they are entitled under league rules and have had their poison pens barred from viewing the OTAs on the other days

I agree. While I miss the amount of news we get it's also refreshing that the media has no material to go with regarding their "circus" stories and it's got to be better for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Saw some reports from the day that Sanchez threw three picks but really nothing else. There have been other days, correct? Have the Jets changed their access policies?

(Also, why am I getting so many web attacks on this site today (Norton calls it "Malicious Java Download 13"?)
    That's what happens when you shut down the Hotties Forum to appease prudish advertisers.

Hall Of Fame

Man when you flip-flop you certainly do that with a vengeance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    go stalk someone else, obsessed parasite

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    +.5 ... Hahaha I'm not taking sides ... .5 is a hedged bet.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

God, you are so pleasant. You're the mayor of Charmville

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    God, you are so pleasant. You're the mayor of Charmville
    I apologize to you Paulie, but if you were to review this EM guys posts, there's not a single one about football. Every one is some snarky witless attack on another poster...I'll try.and refrain from lowering myself to his level in the future and stick to the topic

Hall Of Fame
    Awww.... Never mind I will just wait for you to flip-flop on me and then you will think that I am just the greatest poster ever. Because you know flip-flopping tends to do that.

Seriously, you were a mega-supporter of both Mike Tanenbaum and Mark Sanchez for the longest time. Now you act as if the two of them ran over your dog. When did it all start to go wrong for you with Mikey and Marky? When did it start to go wrong for you with me?

sg3 and I are now buds. No reason that a EM31/sg3 friendship cannot be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    That's what happens when you shut down the Hotties Forum to appease prudish advertisers.
    so true....

I think Idzik let Rex know he was showing his hand way too much.
    I also think that Idzik has no plans to give Rex a shlt team so he can fire him.

I think Rex took the point, moved on from some of his stubborn ideas, and we now have a PROVEN OC in as long as I can remember.

Face it. If Sanchez didn't suck so bad and didn't play QB better for the OTHER team, we could have won a lot more games. It's not like we were getting blown out by any stretch. (except for some of those demoralizing NE games- which we usually bounced back from the next time around, btw)

The Defense WILL be a monster. If we can get first downs and some points here and there we may be pretty good! We don't need 5tds a game every game like NE and GB... We ACTUALLY have a real Defense and don't need to play that way.

We're gonna be better than a lot of people think and history shows this is one of our Playoff years.

And this is NOT me being a homer. I was ready to destroy EVERY SHRED of Jets anything when we got Tebow. I'm still angry about it.

I think this Thurs is open to media

along with next Wed. Expect a flurry of tweets.

sg3 and I are now buds. No reason that a EM31/sg3 friendship cannot be ironed out.
    Per my anonymous source, reports of a deal being close between Stewart Gunther III and Emilio McArther are false. #jets #getitdone

Yes Cimini's wellspring just dried up. F the stupid media. Just give the access to Soothsayer and co for our information...

Hall Of Fame
    Not really sure how to respond to that Borgo. Perhaps sg3 thinks that I do not like him or something. Not even slightly true. I think he brings color to the place and I value his gravitas.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Yes Cimini's wellspring just dried up. F the stupid media. Just give the access to Soothsayer and co for our information...
    Except....when the real news well dries up, all Cimini needs to do is call up the has been and ask for an inflammatory quote or two.

Namath questions Goodson signing
    By Rich Cimini

Hall of Famer Joe Namath, sharply critical in recent years of the New York Jets' previous management team, took aim Wednesday at new general manager John Idzik, questioning the wisdom of signing troubled running back Mike Goodson.

"I hope [Goodson] changes for the better, but if you check on people's history, you might be a little more careful with who you're bringing in," Namath said in a phone interview.

Goodson's legal issues began long before his recent arrest on drug and weapons charges. A report by ESPNNewYork.com last Friday revealed a history of trouble involving women and money -- paternity and child-support suits by three women in a nine-month span, a $56,000 bill at a jewelry store that wasn't paid, two eviction notices and unpaid car payments.

Namath said he read the report. He was disappointed in the Jets' decision to sign Goodson because he believes there's some carryover between off-the-field behavior and on-the-field performance.

"I'm just saying, you have to be smart," he said. "You have to use your mind out on the football field. I mean, there is a mental side of the game that you have to be responsible for and own up to. It's the same way with life. If you're not showing that kind of responsibility reasonably consistently, you're lucky if you can get a job."

Reminded that Goodson received a $1 million signing bonus as part of his three-year, $6.9 million contract, Namath laughed.

"Maybe they're related somehow, Idzik and Goodson," he joked. "What the hell?"

Idzik's first two free-agent signings haven't panned out. The other was QB David Garrard, who recently announced his retirement because of a pre-existing knee condition. He lasted less than two months.

"Yeah, that's food for thought. It does cause some concerns, there's no doubt about that," said Namath, alluding to Idzik's judgment.

Namath also took issue with Idzik's silence on the matter; he hasn't publicly addressed the Goodson arrest. The Jets released a statement, saying they won't comment until the legal process runs its course. Meanwhile, Goodson has returned to practice as he awaits his next court date, a pretrial hearing June 12.

"The fans are crying out, we want to know," said Namath, adding, "It should be a two-way street. You expect the players to answer every question they get, but what about the people that are running the show? Shouldn't they have to answer to the fans, too, and let us know something reasonable?"

Goodson, on the advice of his attorney, won't speak to reporters Thursday after the team's OTA practice, according to the Jets. Coach Rex Ryan, however, is scheduled to address the media.

"Oh, I'm sure you'll get a good answer there," Namath said, sarcastically.

Namath is in New York for a couple of days to promote the Pro Football Hall of Fame's "Future 50" project, a $27 million expansion and renovation on the 50th anniversary of the Hall. In fact, Namath will be in Canton, Ohio, on Saturday for the reopening ceremony. In an interview with ESPNNewYork.com, he addressed other Jets-related topics, namely the Mark Sanchez-Geno Smith quarterback competition.

"I expect Mark to be the opening-day starter because of the four years he has under his belt," said Namath, who believes Sanchez has the ability for a turnaround. "I would expect him to be mentally ahead of the rookie coming in. Now, if the rookie comes in, and Geno outperforms Mark from now until opening day, you have to go with the guy that has convinced teammates and the coaches he's giving you the best chance to win."

The Jets may have run out of patience with Sanchez, and some believe the decision-makers want Smith to win the job.

"The decision-makers have scared me the last couple of years," said Namath, adding: "[Last season] was scary. You wonder who the heck is making these kind of decisions. You have to start with Woody Johnson and ownership and the people he believes in and trusts. It's downright scary."

Johnson dismantled the front office, but he retained Ryan. Namath isn't a fan of Ryan's coaching style, but he believes it's premature to refer to him as Dead Coach Walking.

"What is this lame-duck business?" Namath asked. "If that team wins, how can you get rid of him? If he gets those guys to make the playoffs somehow, how can you change coaches? If they're making good progress, of course you keep him."

Jets Insider VIP
    Any way to shut the sad, pathetic old lush the F up???