Thread: Anonymous Jets Source

Anonymous Jets Source

Using an anonymous source in your reporting should be against the law.

Do any of you even pay attention when a reporter says they have an anonymous Jets source? I totally disregard the story when I see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Literally? Just in sports or everywhere?

Do any of you even pay attention when a reporter says they have an anonymous Jets source? I totally disregard the story when I see that.
    Good, then disclosing that it comes from an anonymous source gives the reader enough information to decide how seriously they'll take what was allegedly said.

All League

Illegal? You do know that is how we find out of a lot of very important things?

[QUOTE=Digetydog;4902323]Illegal? You do know that is how we find out of a lot of very important things?[/QUOTE

I was being sarcastic about it being illegal.

Do other teams consistently have anonymous sources quoted in the media?

All Pro
    "So, Mr Deep Throat...we totally appreciate all this information about Watergate, but we can't run it unless you put your name on it".

#click#

"Hello? Hello? Mr Deep Throat?!? Damn...I guess Nixon gets away with it, then."

Anonymous sources are essential to a free press. Banning them would be stupid and would allow a lot of powerful people to get away with doing bad things.

Journalists have gone to prison to protect sources for good reason - without them, the media cannot operate and hold state agencies to account.

It may be slightly different in sports, but the principles are the same.

Hall Of Fame
    The fish rots from the head.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Good, then disclosing that it comes from an anonymous source gives the reader enough information to decide how seriously they'll take what was allegedly said.
    Unfortunately the average sports fan/American doesn't seem to be intelligent enough to make such a decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Unfortunately the average sports fan/American doesn't seem to be intelligent enough to make such a decision.
    Who cares? That's their problem.

In an unrelated story, Santonio Holmes has filed to have his name legally changed to "Anonymous Jet Player".

Quote Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
    Who cares? That's their problem.
    I hear you, but people like you or myself are stuck listening to them on the street, at work, at the stadium, or reading about it on this website. It's pretty annoying.
    They LOVE telling me or you about some trash article they read that could be torn apart in seconds by anyone with at least half a brain.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I hear you, but people like you or myself are stuck listening to them on the street, at work, at the stadium, or reading about it on this website. It's pretty annoying.
    They LOVE telling me or you about some trash article they read that could be torn apart in seconds by anyone with at least half a brain.
    Ditto!
    People who aren't hardcore Jets fans (everyone but two of my friends) see headlines of bogus, biased, or just plain unprofessional articles that get read on major news outlets and tell me all about it. I've gotten so sick of explaining the articles and defending the Jets that I just say "Yeahhh, they suck" and walk away.