Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice Article on the Jets view of our 1st 4 games

Nice Article on the Jets view of our 1st 4 games

I actually feel better about our early schedule after reading this. I like this Randy Lange guy.

Two-Minute Drill: First Quarter of the Schedule Posted by Randy Lange on May 29, 2013 – 9:40 am

It’s never too soon to start prepping for the arrival of the 2013 schedule. In a biweekly series on into July, I’ll post some blogs capturing some bullet points for each game on the slate, by quarters of the season. Today we review the First Quarter (a.k.a. Games 1-4):

Game 1 — vs. TAMPA BAY, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Sept. 8, 1 p.m.
    ■ Jets will be going up vs. remade TB secondary featuring Darrelle Revis, their former Pro Bowl CB, S Dashon Goldson (from SF), and top draft pick CB Jonathan Banks.
    ■ Jets opened their season once before vs. Buccaneers — at home in the Meadowlands in ’91, 16-13 win secured with Pat Leahy 40-yd FG with 1:22 to play.
    ■ Jets are 9-1 overall and 6-0 at home all-time vs. TB. Six home wins are the most without a loss for the NYJ vs. any NFL opponent.
    ■ Green & White’s last home game vs. Bucs: 2005, when QB Vinny Testaverde “climbed off his couch” to start his first Jets game in two years, lead 14-12 win.
    Game 2 — @ NEW ENGLAND, Gillette Stadium, Thursday, Sept. 12, 8:25 p.m.
    ■ Is this the best time to get the Patriots? NE is 8-5 in September since ’09, 1-3 in Game 2′s (and 0-2 vs. Jets) since ’09.
    ■ Patriots are 10-1 in home openers since ’02. But that one loss came last year, by 20-18 to Arizona — in Game 2.
    ■ Third time in franchise history Jets will play Game 2 on three days’ rest (1984, Thurs night loss to PIT; 1986, Thurs night loss to NE).
    ■ 10th time in last 15 seasons Jets will play NE in first two weeks of season, but first time in the first two weeks since 2010.

Game 3 — vs. BUFFALO, MetLife Stadium, Sunday, Sept. 22, 4:25 p.m.
    ■ Jets will want to welcome new BUF coach Doug Marrone, their OL coach from 2002-05, into the big leagues with a rousing home win over their longtime AFL rivals.
    ■ Jets lead this series at home, 27-25, after taking four of the last five, including last year’s season-opening 48-28 shootout at MetLife Stadium.
    ■ Which QB will Green & White face? They’ve never played vs. Kevin Kolb or first-round rookie EJ Manuel, faced Tarvaris Jackson in relief only once in ’06 win @ MIN.
    ■ C.J. Spiller had 56-yard TD run, 49-yd run in opener, 66-yd TD reception in finale vs. Jets. First Jets opponent with three 40-plus plays in a season since Chiefs WR Carlos Carson (2 games in ’88).

Game 4 — @ TENNESSEE, LP Field, Sunday, Sept. 29, 4:05 p.m.
    ■ RB Chris Johnson had unusual game vs. Jets last year: 10 yds in his first 7 carries, 18 yds in his last 13 carries, 94-yd TD burst on his 8th carry that helped TEN post 14-10 win.
    ■ Titans who’ll be familiar to Jets: RB Shonn Greene, four-year Jets back now backing up Johnson, plus DE Ropati Pitoitua, S Tracy Wilson, and ex-Bills QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    ■ Despite last year’s loss, Jets have fared well recently against AFC South, winning 9 of last 13 beginning with ’08 road win at TEN.
    ■ Jets have lost 16 of 22 on the road in this series, but have won 3 of last 5 on road since Titans moved to Tennessee, including ’98 at Vanderbilt, ’06 in season opener, ’08 when Titans were 10-

Rookie
    2-2 anyone??

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I actually feel better about our early schedule after reading this. I like this Randy Lange guy.
    He is a staff writer for the New York Jets so he may be a tad optimistic.

2 and 2 is possible, the only team that has got it's sh*t together of those four is New England ...

Hall Of Fame
    I think the Buffalo game is a toss up b.c it will likely be two rookie QBs making their third starts. The other 3 I think we will be underdogs.

2-2 is possible. But I think that would be a best case scenario.

All Pro
    Sure, the Jets always play the Pats well on 3 days' preparation.

Rookie
    Don't see them beating NE at all. The TN, BUF and Tampa game 2 outta three maybe.

The Jets have done nothing to improve on the questions about offense from two years ago. 0 and 4, Rex fired.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhoys in Green View Post
    The Jets have done nothing to improve on the questions about offense from two years ago. 0 and 4, Rex fired.
    Thanks SAR II

Jets Insider VIP
    Please..... We can beat any of those teams.

I say 3 and 1.

We can beat Tampa, Tenn and Buff on an average day. We can beat the Pats.

Game 2 in Foxboro on a short week has disaster written all over it. The other 3 are winnable although I'm not sure we'll be favored in all of them

We'll probably escape September with a 2-2, maybe even a 3-1 record. It's after that stretch when the **** will hit the fan and the season will end in 4-10/5-9 fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Thanks SAR II
    Much like the N or F words, we should move on from such slurs. What do you see us beating them with?

Jets Insider VIP
    Depending who the QB is I see different scenarios:

1. Geno Smith then 1-3

2. Old Sanchez 1-3

3. Revitalized Sanchez 2-2 or 3-1 ( not likely).

I'm a fan, so I'm cool aid drunk and hoping for 3-1 but who knows that's why they play the games.

All Pro
    Much like the N or F words, we should move on from such slurs. What do you see us beating them with?
    Defense and a surprisingly good running game. Competent OC. Those teams are not very good. We may not have a good offense, but it will not be as horrid as last year, and we should have beaten the Pats, and the Texans. The defense will be better, and it wasn't bad last year. I don't get all the bs. We are an average team with potential. We'll compete in almost every game, and find out what we need for 2014.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

agree 2-2 is possible without even feeling like i'm being a homer

week 5 through week 9 is the brutal part for us ... i'll see who the qb is and what the results of that first month are before i cement us in at 0-5 for this stretch

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Sure, the Jets always play the Pats well on 3 days' preparation.
    That actually favors us a lot to be honest. This team has changed way more then NE so prep shouldnt be to hard for us. NE is also coming off 3 days rest and also like 4 away games. So we will be more rested and are younger. Health aside going into this game we should have the edge. Team wise yeah it is a tough game.

Thumbs up

Look bigger picture, on the Jets 2013 schedule.

First half of the season is VERY tough, second half schedule is VERY easy.

If the Jets are 4-4 after week 8, this team WILL actually make the playoffs....thats how easy the 2nd half schedule is!

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post

If the Jets are 4-4 after week 8, this team WILL actually make the playoffs....thats how easy the 2nd half schedule is!

We better start 4-0 then

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    2-2 anyone??
    I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    That actually favors us a lot to be honest. This team has changed way more then NE so prep shouldnt be to hard for us. NE is also coming off 3 days rest and also like 4 away games. So we will be more rested and are younger. Health aside going into this game we should have the edge. Team wise yeah it is a tough game.
    +1