Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 78 of 78

Thread: Jets sign Ben Obomanu

  1. #61
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That's against Brandon Carr.

    You could make the argument that he's a Top 10-15 player at his position.
    Not on that play he wasn't!

  2. #62
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,580
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Not on that play he wasn't!
    Well...yeah.

    And Revis didn't look like "the best CB of all-time" when he got toasted by Ted Ginn and Randy Moss a few years back.

  3. #63
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I'll take him too....if we face KC cornerbacks each week!
    This. .. Blown coverage highlight reels do nothing to arouse me ....

  4. #64
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    How is COPLES going to rundown RB's playin OLB at his size? I don't see it. Leave QC @ DE and let him gain weight as he grows like a normal player. What the hellz goin on out there??? Lombardi HaHa!

    Exactly my point. He is a DE period. They already had a good lineup on the DL. They needed a first rate OLB.

  5. #65
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Coples is stronger faster and has more agility than jarvis jones. He'll be a better OLB

    He's stronger because he's 30 pounds heavier. Read slower. He is a DE (although quite lazy at UNC). Already called out in OTAs by Rex for dogging it. Suddenly he understands OLB. What's next - TE? Big diff between a DE and OLB. Where did he develop coverage skills?

  6. #66
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Just what we need. A slow, small, brittle edge rusher. The entire defense was geared to getting Jones 1 on 1 with space around a slow tackle. He can't shed a block, and he's not fast enough to get around tackles in the NFL. There's a good reason why he fell. You may have noticed that he wasn't even on the Cowboy's draft board at all.


    He will have a couple sacks when Pitt beats the Jets.

    Cowboys? Since when do they know how to draft. Jerry Jones is a moron. Almost as bad a Al Davis was.

  7. #67
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    I completely forgot about A Thomas who was quite successful at OLB......I think Rex has an idea of what he is doing with coples.....one thing I cannot question rex on is defense.


    That's because he was so successful when he guaranteed he would make Gholston very productive.

  8. #68
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    8,385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obamanu is a much better option than Edwards as a possible No.4, 5 WR.

    Like the signing.

  9. #69
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    10,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Obamanu is a much better option than Edwards as a possible No.4, 5 WR.

    Like the signing.
    I wish Idzik would reconsider....

  10. #70
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He's stronger because he's 30 pounds heavier. Read slower. He is a DE (although quite lazy at UNC). Already called out in OTAs by Rex for dogging it. Suddenly he understands OLB. What's next - TE? Big diff between a DE and OLB. Where did he develop coverage skills?
    You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? Why is it that you like to talk so much? Coples ran a 4.69 40, and Jones ran a 4.9. Jones has no coverage skills, no strength, and he cannot disengage a block. Jones is a pathetic prospect. He has one pass rush move, which is a speed rush, but he has no speed. Speed rushers have no time to get to the QB in our system against 3 step drops anyway. Better to bull rush, and then swim, or rip your way straight to the QB. Coples did this many times the last three games last year. All you have to do is watch the tape, but you just making stuff up in your head seems to support your case better. Coples will not play what you think an OLB is. This has been gone over time, and time again. Maybe you should read a little more, and talk less.

  11. #71
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Exactly my point. He is a DE period. They already had a good lineup on the DL. They needed a first rate OLB.
    Sheldon Richardson #91 ,1nce he gains 10-15 lbs of muscle( frm295 to310) WATCHOUT) every1 will forget bout Copout like VGholstn...

    Jets future DL

    Wlkersn - 320 lbs
    Ellis - 350 lbs
    Richrdsn - 310 lbs??? Hopefully! Get Big bc S.Rich could be aSTAR in nfl!

  12. #72
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He will have a couple sacks when Pitt beats the Jets.

    Cowboys? Since when do they know how to draft. Jerry Jones is a moron. Almost as bad a Al Davis was.
    I think the Cowboys have an idea of what a 3-4 OLB should look like. Jones is not going to have any sacks unless it's his sack lunch eaten on the bench where he will spend the year.

  13. #73
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    2,155
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like this signing- under-the-radar.

    Think about it this way- Obomanu got injured last year which led to Golden Tate seeing more playing time and improving and the Seahawks traded for Harvin so Obomanu became expendable.

    To the Braylon Brigade, it is looking unlikely that he will ever be a Jet again for 3 reasons:
    1. he had chemistry with Sanchez, who will be gone in a year
    2. John Idzik released Braylon Edwards last year, presumably for a reason
    3. he isn't getting any younger

    Also, Obomanu doesn't have any off-the-field issues which is a huge plus. I'm starting to trust Idzik more.

  14. #74
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    4,850
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    You really have no idea what you're talking about do you? Why is it that you like to talk so much? Coples ran a 4.69 40, and Jones ran a 4.9. Jones has no coverage skills, no strength, and he cannot disengage a block. Jones is a pathetic prospect. He has one pass rush move, which is a speed rush, but he has no speed. Speed rushers have no time to get to the QB in our system against 3 step drops anyway. Better to bull rush, and then swim, or rip your way straight to the QB. Coples did this many times the last three games last year. All you have to do is watch the tape, but you just making stuff up in your head seems to support your case better. Coples will not play what you think an OLB is. This has been gone over time, and time again. Maybe you should read a little more, and talk less.

    Sure. That's why he Steelers, an infinitely better franchise than the Jets, took him. I'll take the Steelers front office, coaching and total organization ANYDAY versus the Jets.
    I know more about football than you ever will BTW.
    Coples will unfortunately be part of a so so defense. He can play whatever version of OLB Rex comes up with. And be eh.
    There is ONR decent player on the defense - Cromartie. Prove me wrong by pointing out the other all pros and pro bowlers. Just chock full of them?
    Gholston? Rex GUARANTEED it. The great Ryan. Failed.

  15. #75
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Except you forgot to mention that he can play special teams very well and he has nice hands. He was fairly well thought of in the NFL prior to becoming a Jets player. now he sucks!
    You guys really overvalue special teams like crazy. Any scrub off the street can play ST well if they put their mind to it.

  16. #76
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    He's stronger because he's 30 pounds heavier. Read slower. He is a DE (although quite lazy at UNC). Already called out in OTAs by Rex for dogging it. Suddenly he understands OLB. What's next - TE? Big diff between a DE and OLB. Where did he develop coverage skills?
    Coples is an athletic freak. Mario Williams has the same body and skill set and got 5.5 sacks in 5 games as a OLB in 2011 and did fine against the run. And really you guys think Coples is going to be slower than Calvin Pace LOL? Pace was worthless against the run his last 2 years here Coples will absolutely be an improvement in that area.

  17. #77
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what everyone is missing on the whole Quinton Coples playing OLB thing: Coples is going to be playing on the LOS with his hand on the ground as DE in a 4 man front easily 30-40% of the snaps. All this nonsense about Coples covering WR's is brought up by 15 year olds.

    1st and 2nd down Coples will be playing OLB and then 3rd down the Jets will do what most teams in the NFL do which is go 4-2-5 or 4-1-6 defensive alignment. NASCAR alignment.

  18. #78
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3,174
    Post Thanks / Like
    Years old, and has no bearing on him as a pro, but not a good look here for Obamanu:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js-z7YvILCw

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us