Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5/30 OTA News &Notes OTA

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cimini's Summary of Today:

Practice notes: Good day for QBs -- really
    May, 30, 2013
    May 303:59PM ETBy Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com Recommend1Tweet2Comments1EmailPrintFLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from Thursday's OTA practice, the second session open to the media:

1. Look, no interceptions: Eight days after Rex Ryan chided his quarterbacks (mostly Mark Sanchez) for their turnover-prone ways, the overall play from the quarterback position was considerably better than the previous open practice. Sanchez and rookie Geno Smith didn't have any turnovers. Repeat: no turnovers. Sanchez, working exclusively with the first team completed eight of 12 passes in team drills. He ended with three straight completions (all against the second-team defense), including a blitz-beating pass to TE Hayden Smith, who made a terrific catch. Smith was nearly perfect, completing eight of nine (one drop), plus two sacks -- although he had a couple of near-interceptions in a seven-on-seven drill in the red zone.

This wasn't high-risk offense; both quarterbacks operated a controlled passing attack, throwing mostly screens and short passes. Smith's longest completion was a 30-yarder to WR Joseph Collins, who caught the ball over CB Aaron Berry -- a misplay by Berry. Smith played with the second-team offense, although he got several reps against the starting defense. About half of his plays came out of shotgun, where he's more comfortable. On one play, Smith checked to an audible and threw a quick screen. Overall, this was a solid practice for both quarterbacks.

2. Hill's back: WR Stephen Hill, who missed a practice last week due to knee swelling, was back on the field. He participated in positional drills, but he still was limited in team drills. He looked fine, but the team is proceeding with caution. As Sanchez noted, Hill still is chipping off some rust. Clyde Gates (hamstring) remained on the sideline. Newly-signed WR Ben Obomanu, formerly of the Seahawks, jumped right in and got a lot of reps, including a few with the starters. He dropped a pass in a seven-on-seven drill. Obomanu also returned some kickoffs. Santonio Holmes remained on the sideline, rehabbing his surgically repaired foot.

3. New old role: It looks like CB Kyle Wilson, who replaced the injured Darrelle Revis in the starting lineup last season, is destined to return to his nickel-back role. He worked in the slot, with Antonio Cromartie and Aaron Berry starting on the outside. When first-round pick Dee Milliner (shoulder surgery) is healthy in training camp, he'll probably replace Berry in the starting group. From all indications, the coaches really believe Wilson is best suited to covering the slot receiver.

4. On guard: The Jets will have two new guards. The question is, which two? LG Willie Colon and RG Stephen Peterman lined up with the starters, but third-round pick Brian Winters rotated with Colon. Clearly, Colon gets the edge because of his experience, but don't rule out Winters in the left-guard competition. Here's something interesting: Former second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse lined up at left tackle with the backups. Hey, the more you can do ...

Jets' Greatest Draft Thefts

From Gastineau to Klecko, we ranked the top 10 Jets draft steals. Top 10
    5. Aussie shines: Former rugby player Hayden Smith continued to make strides at tight end. Smith, who didn't play organized football until a year ago, made a brilliant, 15-yard catch on a pass over the middle. He made a full-extension lunge, holding on to the ball and he crashed to the ground. He got extra reps because Jeff Cumberland (personal reasons) wasn't at practice. Smith will be a fun player to watch in training camp.

6. Safety dance: With Josh Bush recovering from offseason shoulder surgery (he practices with the red, non-contact jersey), Antonio Allen is receiving a great chance to win the starting safety job opposite Dawan Landry. He's had some good moments, and he's had some shaky moments. He missed a big-play opportunity in a seven-on-seven drill, dropping a would-be interception from Smith.

7. Aggressive D: Rex Ryan offered an interesting note on the defense, saying he wants to get back to the ultra-aggressive mentality from 2009. He said they spent too much time last season adjusting to matchups created by the offense instead of dictating the matchups themselves. (A tweak at former defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, perhaps?) To accomplish that, Ryan said they're throwing the kitchen sink at the offense in OTA practices, also increasing the tempo in practices. Indeed, there was a lot of energy in Thursday's practice, with players flying around in non-contact drills.

8. Goodson is fast: In recent weeks, RB Mike Goodson has been making headlines for the wrong reasons. This week, he returned to practice, showing the reason why the Jets signed him -- speed. On a toss play, Goodson got to the corner and turned up, blowing past would-be tacklers. If he can provide that dimension to the offense, a threat on the perimeter, the running attack will be a lot less predictable than it was last season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know who worked as the second team center?

Was it dalton freeman or Schlauderaff?

Anyone writing off hill before the end of the 2014 season just doesn't get it.

You can reach hand placement for a receiver you cannot teach being 6'5 and running a sub 4.4 forty. If he has a 45-50 catch season, limited drops, and opens up the field for Holmes and Kerley he will be right on track.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Does anyone know who worked as the second team center?

Was it dalton freeman or Schlauderaff?

Anyone writing off hill before the end of the 2014 season just doesn't get it.

You can reach hand placement for a receiver you cannot teach being 6'5 and running a sub 4.4 forty. If he has a 45-50 catch season, limited drops, and opens up the field for Holmes and Kerley he will be right on track.
    Holley Mangold.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    Former second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse lined up at left tackle with the backups. Hey, the more you can do ...
    Doesn't sound good, starting the year with the backups. Had hopes for him given his size and speed but the brainbox just doesn't seem to be aligned.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Holley Mangold.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so excited to see what Hayden Smith does in the preseason games, to see if any of those great practices translate into something positive on the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Sanchez doesnít expect Geno Smith to beat him out

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 30, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez says he isnít giving a lot of thought to losing the starting job to rookie Geno Smith.

ďI donít plan on that happening,Ē Sanchez said, via the New York Daily News. ďIím planning on playing, Iím planning on starting.Ē

Sanchez also said that heís happy to help Smith in any way he can, and that one of the reasons heís secure in helping Smith is that heís secure in his belief that heíll be the starter when itís all said and done.

ďPart of that comes when youíre just confident in yourself. If I was insecure about something or . . . canít handle this competition, maybe I wouldnít say much to him. Maybe Iíd be a little scared to give him help,Ē said Sanchez. ďBut I donít feel like that. I just donít. Thatís not my personality. Iím confident, Iím ready to go, I can do it, I know I can.Ē

Sanchez said heís rooting for Smith to do well, and that heís also rooting for the other two quarterbacks on the roster, Greg McElroy and Matt Simms, to do well. He just thinks they wonít do as well in training camp as him.
    Sounds like the "separation" is happening.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    "although he had a couple of near-interceptions in a seven-on-seven drill in the red zone. "
    "dropping a would-be interception from Smith"
    Conspiracy theory of the day:

Wondering if Rex told the D not to finish any interceptions today in front of the press....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Doesn't sound good, starting the year with the backups. Had hopes for him given his size and speed but the brainbox just doesn't seem to be aligned.
    They need to let the guy learn one position... I honestly feel like with his physical skillset .when he leaves the jets some team is gonna pick him up and make it easy for him from a mental standpoint and he will pan out and be decent ..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    Right now, I'd put her on the O-Line ahead of Ducasse.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    AAAAAHGHGHGGGHH!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    We are not releasing Sanchez. No chance after Garrard retiring.

Glad to see Hill catching the ball with his hands. IMO Hill is the key. He can make things easier on everyone if he turns into a legit deep threat. Helps the running game and will open up things underneath for Kerley and Tone.
    But his retirement all but sealed Geno as the starting QB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Tannenbaum whiffed hard on Wilson and Ducasse, 4th year players that can't get into the starting lineup. Ducasse is much worse than Wilson but man were those bad picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Tannenbaum whiffed hard on Wilson and Ducasse, 4th year players that can't get into the starting lineup. Ducasse is much worse than Wilson but man were those bad picks.
    For the life of me, I can't figure out what they saw in Wilson. In coverage, his technique is a complete disaster.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    For the life of me, I can't figure out what they saw in Wilson. In coverage, his technique is a complete disaster.
    Yeah you'd figure that playing with Revis and Cromartie every day, for years, that he'd watch and learn, and that it would translate on the field for him but he never really developed. The coaches saying "he's better suited for the slot" just means he's not good enough to play outside with the big boys.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still have nightmares of Wilson taunting opponent receivers as they completely abuse him. If opposing qb's actually completed those passes Wilson might have been gone this offseason. He is a solid tackler so there is some hope with him back in the slot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree. But be careful, Wilson might have as many apologists here as Sanchez once did.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you'd figure that playing with Revis and Cromartie every day, for years, that he'd watch and learn, and that it would translate on the field for him but he never really developed. The coaches saying "he's better suited for the slot" just means he's not good enough to play outside with the big boys.
    Exactly. Rex: "Wilson. Putz. Just do what Revis does."

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Green View Post
    Still have nightmares of Wilson taunting opponent receivers as they completely abuse him. If opposing qb's actually completed those passes Wilson might have been gone this offseason. He is a solid tackler so there is some hope with him back in the slot.
    Any time we put him at corner, guys were just running past Wilson.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pick can only be judged based on how the players picked around him have done. Wilson was a mediocre pick but take a look at those selected right next to him. The bottom third of that drafts first round stunk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Green View Post
    I am so excited to see what Hayden Smith does in the preseason games, to see if any of those great practices translate into something positive on the field.
    I finally figured out how to tweet. Now he knows we are watching him!

@eallenjets @Hayden_Smith_ Congrats on great practice today, many on jetsinsider.com looking for a breakout year from you!