Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez confident he will start..........

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.

Sanchez confident he will start..........

Mark Sanchez has entered this season facing his most serious quarterback battle to date. His competition, Geno Smith, is an athletic second-round pick who is learning the offense quickly.

According to Rex Ryan, the two have swapped days working with the first-string offense. Sanchez, who went 8-of-11 in team drills today, was with the No. 1's today.

But Sanchez doesn't seem to be worried in the least. When asked about the possibility of not starting, he was adamant. This wasn't a possibility.

"I don't plan on that happening," Sanchez said.

Sanchez called it his best offseason to date, and amid reports that his accuracy has been better, it seems his confidence has improved from a rock-bottom in 2012.

"At that position confidence is huge," Rex Ryan said. "I think there's only one other position you better be as confident as the quarterback -- maybe more than one, kicker and cornerback -- that if you're short on confidence you're going to struggle. But I feel, really, all the quarterbacks we have are confident guys."

He admitted that Sanchez may have been lacking in that department last year.

I think its safe to say maybe some of his confidence was shaken a little bit last year, he said.

By Conor Orr 5/30/13

I heard part of his interview on the radio and he was saying of course he was helping Geno, Simms and McElroy, sounding very confident that he was the Jets QB and that's his job as the leader.

Hall Of Fame
    Best chance to win....

in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Best chance to win....

1st overall pick

Veteran
    Regardless of how bad he is (and he is BAD) what else would one expect him to say? Seriously the media are idiots.....

He may get chance to start a few games if Geno isn't quite ready, but Mark sanchez will be riding pine by week 6 atleast

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarjet View Post
    Regardless of how bad he is (and he is BAD) what else would one expect him to say? Seriously the media are idiots.....
    Agreed. No story here.

That's the problem with a competition. Sanchez isn't a good NFL QB but he is likely by far the best QB on the NY Jets just as he was last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    That's the problem with a competition. Sanchez isn't a good NFL QB but he is likely by far the best QB on the NY Jets just as he was last year.
    And has a WCO head start.

All Pro
    That's not a problem with competition, that's a problem with the roster.

Yet he was the worst qb in the NFL.. im not a tebow fan, and saw how far Mcelroy could throw but both should have been given more of a chance.. Maybe they do just as bad, but its impossible to play worse than Mark did last yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Lithfan View Post
    That's not a problem with competition, that's a problem with the roster.
    When it comes to the QB playing the best player isn't necessarily the way forward. The Jets have to evaluate Geno and decide if he is their guy. If he is they have to evaluate how to bring him along. Competition with Sanchez doesn't really address any of that.

If the goal is to sit him to bring him along I would prefer a solid journeyman QB to fill that role rather than Sanchez. If the goal is simply to have competition at every position and play the best player I don't see how we ever develop a QB.

There is no way he is the best QB on the Jets. None. Why do people insist on being blind to his complete incompetence.

All Pro
    When it comes to the QB playing the best player isn't necessarily the way forward. The Jets have to evaluate Geno and decide if he is their guy. If he is they have to evaluate how to bring him along. Competition with Sanchez doesn't really address any of that.

If the goal is to sit him to bring him along I would prefer a solid journeyman QB to fill that role rather than Sanchez. If the goal is simply to have competition at every position and play the best player I don't see how we ever develop a QB.
    I don't disagree with you when referring to the coming year. My comment was more about last season, when we had no real alternative to turn to when Sanchez struggled.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    He may get chance to start a few games if Geno isn't quite ready, but Mark sanchez will be riding pine by week 6 atleast
    Not if a MIRACLE occurs and Mark actually plays well and the team has a winning record by then.....

...which means that Geno will get the start on Week one.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    There is no way he is the best QB on the Jets. None. Why do people insist on being blind to his complete incompetence.
    The same question could be asked of you. Sanchez may not be good, that doesn't mean Mcelroy or Simms is any better? In fact, there is no question he is better than those two. Just like he was better than Tebow and Mcelroy last year.

If Garrad was healthy he would have likely beat out Sanchez and we all hope that Geno develops fast enough to unseat Sanchez, but just because Sanchez is bad doesn't mean that any backup would be better.

Jets Insider VIP
    He was far worse than McElroy last season and far worse than 35 other NFL starters and backups last season 26 turnovers.. and 2011 ..26 turnovers. In 2013 he is the worst of the four QB choices currently in OTAs

Fortunately, god willing he will be on the unemployment line with Tebow within a month, giving Jet fans some hope for 2013 and tbe future

26 turnovers. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The same question could be asked of you. Sanchez may not be good, that doesn't mean Mcelroy or Simms is any better? In fact, there is no question he is better than those two. Just like he was better than Tebow and Mcelroy last year.

If Garrad was healthy he would have likely beat out Sanchez and we all hope that Geno develops fast enough to unseat Sanchez, but just because Sanchez is bad doesn't mean that any backup would be better.
    You can't say that if you don't give the other guys a shot.. Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, ect.. They didnt get the job because they looked stellar in practice, injuries gave them their shot and they proved to be gamers in real games.. Sanchez does pretty well in practice, always has but drops a huge dump in games.. So the opposite can be true of some players.. I'm not endorsing McElroy, I've seen the limits of his arm.. But Simms has a pretty decent arm I hear.. But it is true we had the worst backups in the league, behind the worst qb in the league.. but either sure could have easily been better than mark..If Sanchez would have been on any other team last yr, he would have been pulled by week 4.. Especially after a very poor yr in 2011.. The next guy would have got his deserving shot, and if he failed then the next, ect... For every Warner he got a lucky break to start, there has to be a few who could have been great but didnt get the chance to play..