Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Woody an Artistocrat?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    The guy was raised to be a CEO. He's all about dollars and cents, creating a brand. That's why he tries to after headline-grabbing players. He knows absolutely nothing about football. Of course he's an aristocrat.
    That would be wrong. His family doesn't run J&J, most just think they do.

He runs charitable foundations, doesn't work for J&J, doesn't create any brand. Other than Robert Wood Johnson hospitals and research facilities or his Lupus foundation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by RChiocchi View Post
    Big difference: Buffett and Gates are Democrats.
    Study after study proves that Republicans donate more total and as a percentage of income than Democrats by a wide margin.

But don't let facts get in the way of your gullibility towards campaign slogans.

12 seasons as an owner. 6 seasons in the playoffs, including 2 in the AFC Championship game. 105-103 regular season record, 7-7 playoff record. Pretty much in the entire history of the Jets you will not find a better 12 season stretch than these past 12, yet some of you think Woody is the worst owner ever.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    12 seasons as an owner. 6 seasons in the playoffs, including 2 in the AFC Championship game. 105-103 regular season record, 7-7 playoff record. Pretty much in the entire history of the Jets you will not find a better 12 season stretch than these past 12, yet some of you think Woody is the worst owner ever.
    An average résumé , or slightly above average. We want better

Thumbs up

Lets turn this into a discussion about sports franchise owners who EARNED their millions vs sports franchise owners who INHERITED their millions...

I wouldnt call Mark Cuban an "aristocrat" and he's probably up there pretty high with Woody on the Forbes 400 list.

I like owners who MADE their money...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    WOw. This is just littered with unnecessary class warfare. First of all, by definition NFL owners (self made or otherwise) are "oil tycoon" types more than half have net worth over $1B.

Second of all, to compare him to James Dolan is ridiculous. Dolan has been a far worse owner than Johnson, it's not even close. Unquestionably the Jets have been 'mediocre' under Woody Johnson, going to playoffs half of his 12 years of owner and getting to the AFC championship once.

The Knicks were comically bad for a decade, in 13 seasons since Dolan become "Team President" the Knicks didn't win a playoff series until this year. And if you think the Jets are a "laughing stock", you clearly didn't follow basketball in the last 10 years.
    Don't forget the Rangers winning in 1940, 1994...2048, and Cablevision...and ruining our bid for a Westside retractable dome.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    Lets turn this into a discussion about sports franchise owners who EARNED their millions vs sports franchise owners who INHERITED their millions...

I wouldnt call Mark Cuban an "aristocrat" and he's probably up there pretty high with Woody on the Forbes 400 list.

I like owners who MADE their money...
    That just means they stole their money instead of their father's stealing their money. I'm a conservative(believe in the free market, and freedom from government), and even I know you cannot "earn" enough money to buy a sports franchise. Woody's done pretty well with his trust fund compared to most. There are no American aristocrats BTW. Not yet. It takes a family history longer than a couple hundred years to make aristocracy.
    Last edited by NY's stepchild; 05-31-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark99 View Post
    On the surface he can come accross as aloof . In addition, Tebow was clearly a greedy woody move. He is a liar oil tycoon type. Poor man's James Dolan who has alienated the most famous jet Joe Namath.
    Of course he is.

That doesn't change the fact that Namath would burn the Jets to the ground for a dime.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    That just means they stole their money instead of their father's stealing their money. I'm a conservative(believe in the free market, and freedom from government), and even I know you cannot "earn" enough money to buy a sports franchise. Woody's done pretty well with his trust fund compared to most. There are no American aristocrats BTW. Not yet. It takes a family history longer than a couple hundred years to make aristocracy.
    You do know that most American dynasties can be traced back hundreds of years previous to the colonies, right?

Apparently not.

I believe a few owners made their own way - Arthur Blank, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder come to mind although I am sure there are a few more. Paul Allen and Jerry Richardson (an ex player).
    Would not classify the above as thieves.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    A team walks into a stadium and starts playing football. The star player gets hurt early. The backup QB brings droves of distractions, clueless fanboys and media attention. The head coach curses like a sailor on the rare occasion he doesn't have his foot in his mouth. The old diva receiver gets hurt and the young quiet receiver has hands of stone. The offensive line leaks like a sieve and the starting quarterback butt fumbles one of his league leading turnovers.

The agent watches this in disgust and bewilderment, and asks "That was certainly interesting. So what do you call yourselves? " To which the owner responds..

"THE ARISTOCRATS!!!!!"
    Came in looking for the joke reference. Leaving satisfied.

Veteran
    All you need to create an aristocracy is the ability to preserve massive intergenerational wealth.

Jets Insider VIP
    So you feel Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Aurthur Blank, Mark Cuban etc stole their money? Pray tell.

All Pro
    On the surface he can come accross as aloof . In addition, Tebow was clearly a greedy woody move. He is a liar oil tycoon type. Poor man's James Dolan who has alienated the most famous jet Joe Namath.
    He's not a poor man's anything. More like a baby powder tycoon.

All Pro
    Study after study proves that Republicans donate more total and as a percentage of income than Democrats by a wide margin.

But don't let facts get in the way of your gullibility towards campaign slogans.
    I'd love to see those studies.

I have to say, this whole threads reeks of classism. The idea that any modern owner is/isn't a 'aristocrat' (what that means in the US, I'm not quite sure), is somewhat bizarre.

However, Woody Johnson does seem to be somewhat of an anomaly in the modern NFL.

First, I think if we're going to define WJ as a "artisocrat" that would also be true for any children who inherited their team (Hunt (Chiefs), Mara/Tisch (Giants), Irsay (Colts), Ford (Lions), Bengals (Brown), Bears (McCaseky), Davis (Raiders), York (49ers), Rooney (Steelers), Bowlen (Broncos)).

As for the "modern owners" (Bought since 1980) - almost every owner is totally self-made (Of course I don't know much about the total bios of any of these guys, and I'm sure a lot of them came from some amount of money, but as far as I know, Woody Johnson is the only owner who was able to buy the team with "family money" rather then through self-made businesses.

I don't really think there's a connection between how an owner made money (or when)and their success.

You can point to Robert Kraft and Steve Bisciotti as obvious sucesses of "new ownership", but Dan Snyder and Robert McNair of failures of "new ownership (though the Texans have been better the last few years, they didn't win 10 games or make the playoffs until their 10th year in existence)

Similarly you can point to Bidwell and Brown as obvious failures of old ownership and Tisch/Mara and Rooney as successes.

Over his ownership the Jets seem to most resemble the Vikings, Bears, Seahawks and Chargers. While the Bears and the Seahawks both made runs to the SB 1x over the time period, the Jets have won a few more playoff games in the time period. Each of these teams represent a different "type" of owner.

Seahawks - Paul Allen - Obviously the definition of New money owner (Richest owner in the NFL (Co-Founder of Microsoft)

Vikings - Zigi Wolf - Developed family managed business and grew it

Bears - Virginia Halas McCaskley - Daughter of George Halas

I'm just not sure what it matters. The bottom line is, in his first decade plus (13 years) as Jets owner, Johnson has not been as terrible as
    people make him out to be.

As for Joe Namath, he's entitled to his opinion. But the Jets have tried to make him a part of the team for years since Woody's been owner (honoring 1969 Jets, allowing him access during training camp, etc). Joe Namath seems more like a understandably frustrated fan with more access than you or me, then some sort of sign the Jets ownership is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    An average résumé , or slightly above average. We want better
    So are you on record that you would have preferred the Dolans outbid him and were our owners for the past 12 years? That's the other option.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

A team walks into a stadium and starts playing football. The star player gets hurt early. The backup QB brings droves of distractions, clueless fanboys and media attention. The head coach curses like a sailor on the rare occasion he doesn't have his foot in his mouth. The old diva receiver gets hurt and the young quiet receiver has hands of stone. The offensive line leaks like a sieve and the starting quarterback butt fumbles one of his league leading turnovers.

The agent watches this in disgust and bewilderment, and asks "That was certainly interesting. So what do you call yourselves? " To which the owner responds..

"THE ARISTOCRATS!!!!!"
    Lol, awesome

Jets Insider VIP
    Poor man's James Dolan
    This is uber-dooshy. Not that any other part of your post made sense.

Exactly how young are you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    I thought it was women that were all evil
    only if you're not getting any.

like the OP