Thread: " Dreamcrushers : the most destructive owners & gm's in sports " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow " Dreamcrushers : the most destructive owners & gm's in sports " ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    I understand Jones rubs people the wrong way but he has won 3 SBs and his franchise is one of the most valuable in the world.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I understand Jones rubs people the wrong way but he has won 3 SBs and his franchise is one of the most valuable in the world.
    Right which is why he is looked down on considering that they have won one playoff game in the past 15 years.

I think it's generally accepted that Jimmy Johnson is the one who pushed the Hershel Walker trade through, which is the key to the Cowboys 90s dynasty.

Also, If Al Davis were still alive, he would be on this list, even though he was a fantastic owner/GM until the 1980s.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Right which is why he is looked down on considering that they have won one playoff game in the past 15 years.
    when was the last time they actually played in a super bowl ?

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-03-..._jimmy-johnson

When Jones bought the team and sacked Landry in 1989, he presented Johnson, his teammate on Arkansas' 1964 national championship team, as his old friend and college roommate. By the 1992 season, when they won their first Super Bowl, their rift had become an open secret in Dallas.

The publication of Skip Bayless' "The 'Boys" last summer let the secret out. Jones, who had given himself the title of general manager, wanted to be accepted as a football man. Johnson didn't want to give him any credit as such, or yield any control. Jones claimed he had pulled the trigger on the Charles Haley deal. Johnson said Jones wouldn't know Charles Haley from Alex Haley.

Hall Of Fame

Unhappy

dolan ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    when was the last time they actually played in a super bowl ?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

And when the whole world rightfully credited Johnson for putting that team together Jones fired him to prove that he could do it too.

1 playoff win in 18 years says he can't.

Plus this is the NFL, he bought the most popular & valuable team in the sport and it's still up there in value, shocking and not because of his work, because of past ownership.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    And when the whole world rightfully credited Johnson for putting that team together Jones fired him to prove that he could do it too.

1 playoff win in 18 years says he can't.

Plus this is the NFL, he bought the most popular & valuable team in the sport and it's still up there in value, shocking and not because of his work, because of past ownership.
    Jones is an ass but Jimmy was also unable to reproduce the Cowboys magic formula with the Dolphins so my own money is on the idea that they both got a little lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Jones is an ass but Jimmy was also unable to reproduce the Cowboys magic formula with the Dolphins so my own money is on the idea that they both got a little lucky.
    No links, but from things I've read/heard, Marino simply had no interest in JJ building the O in the image of his Cowboys O. I guess he shuddered at the though of playing the Troy Aikman role where he'd be asked to rely more on the running game. Considering Marino's attitude and the fact that he never seemed keen on sharing the load, I'm inclined to believe this. JJ did build up that Dolphin D and had it buzzing, that's for sure.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Whether or not he could recreate what he did in Dallas doesn't mean Jones gets credit for what Johnson did in Dallas. Johnson was the architect of that team.

He was lucky that he found someone dumb enough to make the deals for Walker and Walsh (?) though. But he did use those picks on players that turned the team around, not Jones.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Whether or not he could recreate what he did in Dallas doesn't mean Jones gets credit for what Johnson did in Dallas. Johnson was the architect of that team.

He was lucky that he found someone dumb enough to make the deals for Walker and Walsh (?) though. But he did use those picks on players that turned the team around, not Jones.
    agreed !...johnson " drafted well "