Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mornhinweg's task: Restart Sanchez

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    People hate because they buy into all the hype that just because we drafted a QB high he's going to lead us to the promised land. People believe a head coach when he "guarantees" something that can never be guaranteed. People believe because they've been starved for so long that they'll cling to whatever hope someone is selling.

When that belief turns out to be misplaced, they get angry about being misled / lied to - rather than accepting they set their expectations too high. Someone has to be blamed, and the three most likely candidates are the QB, the OC and the HC. QB is easiest to blame as it was him that threw the INTs, fumbled, missed the open guy etc. Though some prefer to hate on the HC.

That anger only gets appeased when the target of the hate gets run out of town, and the next guy comes along with the accompanying hype ... and so it repeats until we one day win a championship. (Hey, I can hope can't I? )
    Sounds pretty childish. I guess it's possible that Sanchez butt fumbled intentionally to hurt some of these guys, but I doubt it. It probably wasn't even intentional. These are probably the same people that scream at their kids when they strike out.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lol man some of you guys are too funny.. Sanchez never has been very good.. He pulled a few comebacks end of game in 09, 10 but only because he wasn't very good for 4 and 3/4 quarters.. Played better in playoffs yes, but not great and set bar low in reg season.. In the AFCC games he did well in 1 half of each, played horrible in the other half.. Im not going to get into how bad he was past two years..1st rd qb busts aren't that rare.. Time to face facts and hope geno is a good 1

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I try and ignore posts like this that are so wrong, but I must respond. While he was never great, please don't tell me he was never good. He was good, he was getting better, he was the QB that led the Jets to the playoffs twice. He was the QB that had the Jets at 8-5 in 2011 (before the collapse).
    Stop... please stop. Sanchez did not lead the Jets to the playoffs. He did not take the team on his shoulders and LEAD them anywhere. The last two years when he didn't have a top run game and the defense had slipped he did not step up and lead the Jets anywhere. In fact he was exposed for what he really is. A guy who can only go as far as the team takes him. He doesn't make the players around him better. He is certainly not a leader on the field. We're talking about a guy who needed(s) a red light green light system as a QB. Give me a freaking break, but he led the Jets to the playoffs.... right.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 06-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This article is the most rational analysis of the situation I have seen yet. And it's really great to see the rational posters outnumbering the haters for a change. Do you haters really believe that if Sanchez starts it will be because of some random emotional decision that he deserves another chance?

The coaches will put the best available players on the field on opening day, period. I am really dreading the embarrassment I think is inevitable on day 1 when the few ignorant non-fans boo before the first play even happens, and the media jumps on it. It's going to do more to hurt this team than Sparano, teblow and holMEs combined.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    This article is the most rational analysis of the situation I have seen yet. And it's really great to see the rational posters outnumbering the haters for a change. Do you haters really believe that if Sanchez starts it will be because of some random emotional decision that he deserves another chance?

The coaches will put the best available players on the field on opening day, period. I am really dreading the embarrassment I think is inevitable on day 1 when the few ignorant non-fans boo before the first play even happens, and the media jumps on it. It's going to do more to hurt this team than Sparano, teblow and holMEs combined.
    No doubt but if Sanchez plays well in the preseason games it may quiet a few fans that might wait and see what happens first in a live game.. If Sanchez throws a pick to Revis they may tear down Metlife to bare metal..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe people are still holding out hope for Sanchez.

I was done with the kid after 2011 and last year sure as hell didn't do anything to persuade me in the other direction.

Is it really so outlandish to believe that Sanchez just isn't a good QB?

It sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that a 1st round QB turned out to be a disappointment.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Good Lord.....I cannot recall the last time I saw so called fans have such dire hate for a player still currently on the team...yeah he stunk up the joint in 2012 but this is a new year with a real offensive system and better players....Smith is def the future but if sanchez plays well enough to win then great...no way I am rooting against a player....I root for the Jets and want the team to win regardless of who is under center. You come here and it's nonstop idiocy about buttfumbles....pics that mock sanchez etc.....as a fan that makes zero sense to me. If he is not good enough then the jets will move on.....this organization knows more about what to do that anyone on this board. If sanchez does win the job and plays well and the jets win then many of you will look like clowns.

You were here for the ACM days.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I can't believe people are still holding out hope for Sanchez.

I was done with the kid after 2011 and last year sure as hell didn't do anything to persuade me in the other direction.

Is it really so outlandish to believe that Sanchez just isn't a good QB?

It sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that a 1st round QB turned out to be a disappointment.
    No it's happens quite frequently but every now and then a failed QB seems to perform better in a new system.. If I had my wish I would like to see Geno win the job in camp but if wishes and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    No it's happens quite frequently but every now and then a failed QB seems to perform better in a new system.. If I had my wish I would like to see Geno win the job in camp but if wishes and buts were candy and nuts everyday would be Christmas..
    The Jim Plunkett's, Steve Young's and Rich Gannon's are few and far between.

And I don't think I've ever seen a QB with as bad of body language or the utter look of hopelessness that Sanchez exudes when he's on the field.

The odds are much greater that Sanchez is riding the bench in Jacksonville or Minnesota a year from now than him turning it around and developing into a viable starting QB.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitt929 View Post
    Here's my dream scenario: the defense leads the Jets to the playoffs, and Sanchez starts and plays slightly above average. He plays the whole year except for a minor injury that keeps him out for two games. The Jets win both those games and Geno plays great and shows that he's the real deal. The defense plays even better in the playoffs, Sanchez plays very well, and the Jets beat the 49ers in overtime for the championship. After the parades and the confetti are over, Idzik trades Sanchez to Cleveland for a 1st and a 3rd in 2014, and a 1st and a 4th in 2015.

Hey, when you dream, there are no limits, right?
    ... what famous ladies are down on their knees taking care of you each week while this is going on? ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The Jim Plunkett's, Steve Young's and Rich Gannon's are few and far between.

And I don't think I've ever seen a QB with as bad of body language or the utter look of hopelessness that Sanchez exudes when he's on the field.

The odds are much greater that Sanchez is riding the bench in Jacksonville or Minnesota a year from now than him turning it around and developing into a viable starting QB.
    You can throw Vinny and Alex Smith in as well.. If as Steve Young said the fight may have left Sanchez it could be over as soon as the preseason.. I'm not betting on a Sanchez resurgence but hope springs eternal in each new season.. Like I said I hope Geno wins the job outright..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i guess we can all give sanchez a break for much of his performance last season but the simple fact is even when he succeeded he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. let's give mornigweg a chance to make sanchez a decent qb and if that happens then he will deserve to start but there also needs to be a short hook until the season is out of reach.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    i guess we can all give sanchez a break for much of his performance last season but the simple fact is even when he succeeded he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire. let's give mornigweg a chance to make sanchez a decent qb and if that happens then he will deserve to start but there also needs to be a short hook until the season is out of reach.
    Speak for yourself!
    Sanchez sucks. I don't know WTF the lot of you have been looking at!

I REALLY hope Geno wins this damn competition so I don't need to see or hear from this BACKUP QB anymore.

It's getting to be like Tebow. Seriously. Some of you people are REAL idiots!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    WRONG

It's far too early to consider Sanchez done

I don't care what year it is

The article lays this out perfectly
    D O N E. When a Gm draft a QB that guy is going to be the guy. That new Gm has no loyalty to mark Sanchez. M Sanchez might start but the only reason that happens is because Geno smith isn't ready yet. At some point Geno Smith will assume the reigns of the offense. 9 when that happens M sanchez career is basically over with)

Mark Sanchez If he going to continue playing Qb is going to have to find a new team. He won't be a Jet in 2014.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Restart Sanchez?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everything he just wrote is bullsh!t!!!

Sanchez is done and so is every coach on this team. After they go 3-13, Idtzy will bring in his guys.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    This is the first time he has had a competent OC since college. I think MM is arguably the best OC the franchise has had since Weiss was here in the late 90's.

The challenge part of the argument I do not buy into at all. He was challenged last year when he was benched last year. He still played like sh!t when he came back.

Best case scenario for the franchise is that Smith looks good during tc and preseason, yet Sanchez also plays well, wins the job and has a good season. In that scenario, the team has 2 nice options at QB and a decent asset that they can trade (whether that be Smith or Sanchez).

I was a Sanchez apologist for a LONG time. I liked him at USC and up until the SF game last year I always defended him on this board. But I can't sit here and ignore what my eyes have seen for the last 4 years. There is a possibility that he can turn it around and be a top 10 QB, but I would say that the odds of that happening are less than 10%. I think the odds of Smith developing into a top 10 QB are significantly higher.
    A lot less than 10 per cent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RIJetFan View Post
    A lot less than 10 per cent.
    I'd say it's about 20% chance that he becomes a top 25 QB. That would make him a great backup, or worth a 4th round pick. That's what I'm realistically hoping for. The haters can go do what haters do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'd say it's about 20% chance that he becomes a top 25 QB. That would make him a great backup, or worth a 4th round pick. That's what I'm realistically hoping for. The haters can go do what haters do.
    If you edit to 2% and top 250 we agree completely

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 2012 almost every pass MS thru looked like a Hail Mary. I find it hard to forgive him for quitting on the team like that. That being said, he was making every so slow progress till Tanny brought in Sparano so I don't rule out the possibility that Marty M can get MS back on track.

I still won't forgive MS for quitting last year but if he turns it around to at least become an asset as a backup then I'll be satisfied that it was equally on Sparano.