Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49ers hire Mangenious

Mangini wasn't just awful with the Jets he was horrific in Cleveland too. LOL at the people acting like he's this genius because a couple of his picks panned out. (Really Mikey T's anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't hear people saying he doesn't know anything. He just has little interest as he's demonstrated. It's no secret that he spends most of his time and effort on defense.
    How much time does Sean Payton spend coaching defense?

How about mike McCarthy? What does he do for the defense?

Can anyone here even say definitively what John harbarough does each week? He's a former special teams coach who doesn't call the defense or the offense. Does he not have interest in those gameplans? He can't be in both the O and D meetings at the same time???

All HCs have a side of the ball they concentrate on - the vast majority happen to be on offense. Rex focusing on defense is what he should do along with managing the team and locker room. The offensive gameplan should be left to the OC just as the above coaches let their DCs scheme the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    How much time does Sean Payton spend coaching defense?

How about mike McCarthy? What does he do for the defense?

Can anyone here even say definitively what John harbarough does each week? He's a former special teams coach who doesn't call the defense or the offense. Does he not have interest in those gameplans? He can't be in both the O and D meetings at the same time???

All HCs have a side of the ball they concentrate on - the vast majority happen to be on offense. Rex focusing on defense is what he should do along with managing the team and locker room. The offensive gameplan should be left to the OC just as the above coaches let their DCs scheme the defense.
    That's why I love all these Rex-haters who passionately act like the world is going to end b/c Ryan isn't an offensive coach. 99% of the NFL HC's only focus on one side of the ball.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    That's why I love all these Rex-haters who passionately act like the world is going to end b/c Ryan isn't an offensive coach. 99% of the NFL HC's only focus on one side of the ball.
    Doesn't make a bit of difference how many times you point this out to the fools who whine about him being a defensive coach. They think they know how much or little he has to do with the O, assuming that a D coach wouldn't have any input.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Mangini is a very good talent evaluator.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Yeah.....everyone is entitled to a bust. this regime makes Mangini look smart. I.e. 2010,
    How many playoff games did Mangini's regime win?? 0 and that was with Chaddy cakes/Favre as QB..

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Rex focusing on defense is what he should do along with managing the team and locker room.
    Yeah well he needs to work on those last two things. Completely lost control of the locker room in 2011, wasn't much better last year. And the past two years we've gotten progressively worse on offense, defense and special teams. Rex still has the potential to become a good coach but he did a really poor job in 2011 and 2012.

Veteran
    Agreed. he is a real football mind and in any capacity..he will be a plus.
    Mangini's time as an ESPN analyst, IMO, revealed him to be a very astute football guy. Mangini, along with Cowherd, stand out to me as smarter than the rest. I had wondered if and when he would get back into the NFL in some fashion. Maybe he isn't a Head Coach, not everyone can be. He does belong in an NFL front office and the 49ers made a good decision to hire him.

All League
    Great!!!! Anything to get this punk nerd off ESPn one less ex jet analyst on the air

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    How many playoff games did Mangini's regime win?? 0 and that was with Chaddy cakes/Favre as QB..
    The same people who ran Mangini out of here, who were the same people to scream hire Rex, who loved Rex in year 1 & 2 and now want Rex fired.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The same people who ran Mangini out of here, who were the same people to scream hire Rex, who loved Rex in year 1 & 2 and now want Rex fired.
    Inremember thinking Mangini got a somewhat of a raw deal.

Farve forced on him and a few other things.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I didn't want Mangini fired. But once he was fired I did support the Rex hiring. And in the past two years Rex has shown some warts as a HC and an inability to get rid of them.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Inremember thinking Mangini got a somewhat of a raw deal.

Farve forced on him and a few other things.
    His offense was 18th in 06 and 25th in 07 with Favre forced on him they were 9th in 08.. Funny thing is the D was the best in 06 and bad in 07 and 08..

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    His offense was 18th in 06 and 25th in 07 with Favre forced on him they were 9th in 08.. Funny thing is the D was the best in 06 and bad in 07 and 08..
    I just feel like he never wanted Favre. in fact, he tried to dump Penny but Clemens couldn't step up.

We ended up with REX and a tabloid atmosphere but I remember when we got no press. SO.... All in all, we are good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I didn't want Mangini fired. But once he was fired I did support the Rex hiring. And in the past two years Rex has shown some warts as a HC and an inability to get rid of them.
    Yeah, Rex has proven, once again, that when even a good HC has no talent and an anchor for a QB he will struggle to win games.

I haven't seen "warts" in the way of poor coaching decisions that clearly cost games.

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    It's a process
    Offense, defense, special teams!

Mangini took a god awful team full of nobodies to the playoffs his first year as HC. Considering how limited the guys prior coaching experience was (1 year as DC, and 8 yrs as a position coach), thats quite remarkable.

Mangini became HC way too early in his career. That was his biggest problem. Despite that, he put together a pretty good team that Rex inherited and took to the AFCCG. That team was built around a core of hard working, disciplined players that were slowly let go and replaced with selfish underachievers.

Im happy for Eric. I think he will eventually become a very good HC

Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Mangini took a god awful team full of nobodies to the playoffs his first year as HC. Considering how limited the guys prior coaching experience was (1 year as DC, and 8 yrs as a position coach), thats quite remarkable.

Mangini became HC way too early in his career. That was his biggest problem. Despite that, he put together a pretty good team that Rex inherited and took to the AFCCG. That team was built around a core of hard working, disciplined players that were slowly let go and replaced with selfish underachievers.

Im happy for Eric. I think he will eventually become a very good HC
    tannenbaum put together that team, not mangini. and tannebaum inherited assets from the bradway days. mangini was the guy that took dewayne robertson and tried to make him a nose tackle.

mangini was a terrible head coach. total complete garbage.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex at his worst is a billion miles better than Itsaprocess at his best.

The only winner in this transaction is espn which gets rid of this hopefully boring failure

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    tannenbaum put together that team, not mangini. and tannebaum inherited assets from the bradway days. mangini was the guy that took dewayne robertson and tried to make him a nose tackle.

mangini was a terrible head coach. total complete garbage.
    BS!
    Look at the type of players chosen under Mangini vs Rex. Look at the approach at free agency under both coaches. Very different players chosen reflecting the different philosophies of the two HC. The HC had tremendous influence under Tanny because Tanny was not a personnel guy. See whats happening now under Idzik where the GM truly has a bigger say.

As for Mangini inheriting assets, he inherited garbage and a terrible cap situation whereas Rex inherited a playoff caliber team that simply had to be tweaked. mangini had to rebuild. Of course after two years of Rexs influence the team is reflecting his poor talent evaluation.

Dwayne Robertson was a bust. Had nothing to do with Mangini. Thats why he never amounted to anything after he left the Jets. Just like Rex couldnt do anything with Gholston.