Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 49ers hire Mangenious

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The same people who ran Mangini out of here, who were the same people to scream hire Rex, who loved Rex in year 1 & 2 and now want Rex fired.
    Yes. All of those people are Jets fans.

Thats just kind of how it works in sports.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    BS!
    Look at the type of players chosen under Mangini vs Rex. Look at the approach at free agency under both coaches. Very different players chosen reflecting the different philosophies of the two HC. The HC had tremendous influence under Tanny because Tanny was not a personnel guy. See whats happening now under Idzik where the GM truly has a bigger say.

As for Mangini inheriting assets, he inherited garbage and a terrible cap situation whereas Rex inherited a playoff caliber team that simply had to be tweaked. mangini had to rebuild. Of course after two years of Rexs influence the team is reflecting his poor talent evaluation.

Dwayne Robertson was a bust. Had nothing to do with Mangini. Thats why he never amounted to anything after he left the Jets. Just like Rex couldnt do anything with Gholston.
    Yet Tanny fired him.. BTW who was the QB that Mangini left Rex?? You love a QB that never won a playoff game and a HC that didn't either.. I see a pattern here..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    I don't hear people saying he doesn't know anything. He just has little interest as he's demonstrated. It's no secret that he spends most of his time and effort on defense.
    And does that surprise you? Did you ever hear his opening press conference after he'd been hired? He told you and every single fan out there that he was going to win with defense.

So why so many people b*tch about Rex and the offense? It just appears to be a SFB argument as far as I am concerned.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    An extra set of eyes is good. He'll be studying opposing defenses from a defensive standpoint isolating weaknesses in the 49ers offense.
    Offensive Coords might tend to overlook their own weaknesses - after all it's their own plan. Seems a good strategy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yet Tanny fired him.. BTW who was the QB that Mangini left Rex?? You love a QB that never won a playoff game and a HC that didn't either.. I see a pattern here..
    Tanny fired him to save his own hide.
    I dont love Sanchez. I do like Mangini.
    If Favre wasnt rammed down Mangini's throat, Pennington would have been the QB that Rex inherrited.

Mangini may not have left Rex with a good QB but he did leave him with the best offensive line in football, an excellent RB tandem, a HOF CB, a pro-bowl caliber NT and DE, a pro-bowl caliber young ILB, an excellent cover Safety, a solid # 2 possesion receiver who always made the 3rd down conversion, a young pass catching TE, and most importantly a team full of hard working, disciplined, team first players.

That and a little bit of luck is why Rex got to the playoffs with the same record Mangini got fired for.

Mangini was not perfect, not even close. But when you make a decision to hire a young coach with as little experience as Mangini, you have to guide him through the growing pains. Thats where the Jets failed. The moment they went out and got Favre they sealed Mangini's fate.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Kapaernick gets injured, they'll go downhill fast and will look like fools for trading Alex Smith.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is a process, we are on our second try.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Tanny fired him to save his own hide.
    I dont love Sanchez. I do like Mangini.
    If Favre wasnt rammed down Mangini's throat, Pennington would have been the QB that Rex inherrited. Mangini may not have left Rex with a good QB but he did leave him with the best offensive line in football, an excellent RB tandem, a HOF CB, a pro-bowl caliber NT and DE, a pro-bowl caliber young ILB, an excellent cover Safety, a solid # 2 possesion receiver who always made the 3rd down conversion, a young pass catching TE, and most importantly a team full of hard working, disciplined, team first players.

That and a little bit of luck is why Rex got to the playoffs with the same record Mangini got fired for.

Mangini was not perfect, not even close. But when you make a decision to hire a young coach with as little experience as Mangini, you have to guide him through the growing pains. Thats where the Jets failed. The moment they went out and got Favre they sealed Mangini's fate.
    Rex wouldn't have had Chad from Mangini he was from the Tuna/Groh days in 2000..And Mangini left Washington who played 7 games for Rex and TJ who did play well when paired with Greene who was drafted in 09.. Who was the Pro Bowl caliber NT/DE?? Pouha was drafted by Bradway and Jenkins played a total of 7 games for Rex.. The only DE drafted by the Mangini regime was the Ghost??And if the possesion W/R was Cotch he was from Bradway also..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Yeah well he needs to work on those last two things. Completely lost control of the locker room in 2011, wasn't much better last year. And the past two years we've gotten progressively worse on offense, defense and special teams. Rex still has the potential to become a good coach but he did a really poor job in 2011 and 2012.
    I completely agree with you, he really needs to figure out some middle ground between disciplinarian and players coach. He also is terrible on challenges and not great with clock management.

That being said, I just was commenting on the ridiculous argument that he is a DC and how that is the problem with our team.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    The only winner in this transaction is espn which gets rid of this hopefully boring failure
    I'd rather listen to "boring" Mangini even with his annoying lisp over total f*cking mooks like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless anyday of the week.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Mangini is a very good talent evaluator.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'd rather listen to "boring" Mangini even with his annoying lisp over total f*cking mooks like Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless anyday of the week.
    Best advice...turn them all off...espn nfln wfan espnradio...

As for the Itsaprocess great talent evaluator myth...its a oft reported fact that it was Morongenius who demanded and finally got his way in choosing his dream choice Vernon Gholston with the sixth pick in the first round.

Evaluated about as crappily as he coached..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone really think that Mangini still had control of the team in the favre era?

IMO that was favre's team, not Mangini. Mangini had no control over favre and favre was the driving force behind the 8-3 jets not Mangini and his crap wannabe bill bellichik systems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I completely agree with you, he really needs to figure out some middle ground between disciplinarian and players coach. He also is terrible on challenges and not great with clock management.

That being said, I just was commenting on the ridiculous argument that he is a DC and how that is the problem with our team.
    Mangina was terrible at everything. He had a good first season with an easy schedule and was horrific each and every single season he ever had after that both here and in Cleveland. Great talent evaluator my ass he drafted a Boar-Hunter in the 3rd round of the best draft the NFL has had the past 10 years, traded up for Kelly Clemens and ofcourse there's the Vernon Gholston debacle.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I like listening to Mangini. He knows infinitely more than Stephen A, or Bayless, or the Herd. I thought he didn't quite have the voice for radio, but has the brains and ability.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    I like listening to Mangini. He knows infinitely more than Stephen A, or Bayless, or the Herd. I thought he didn't quite have the voice for radio, but has the brains and ability.
    A 5 year old girl in Kindergarten knows more than Stephanie A Smif and Skip Tebow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Good for Mangini. Victim to Favre and PSLs.
    Probably, but he did diddly squat with Cleveland.

As for his drafting, I think the Clemens signing might have had more long term implications than the Gholston bust.

If he had drafted a quarterback that he was able to groom successfully, then there wouldn't be need to get Favre and start the chain reaction.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 06-03-2013 at 02:14 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

As for his drafting, I think the Clemens signing might have had more long term implications than the Gholston bust.

If he had drafted a quarterback that he was able to groom successfully, then there wouldn't be need to get Favre and start the chain reaction.
    Yes, he did crap with the Browns. But who could have won there with that collection of "talent"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post

How did the next coach do?
    Yeah, pretty crappy. Maybe had to do with lack of talent?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Rex wouldn't have had Chad from Mangini he was from the Tuna/Groh days in 2000..And Mangini left Washington who played 7 games for Rex and TJ who did play well when paired with Greene who was drafted in 09.. Who was the Pro Bowl caliber NT/DE?? Pouha was drafted by Bradway and Jenkins played a total of 7 games for Rex.. The only DE drafted by the Mangini regime was the Ghost??And if the possesion W/R was Cotch he was from Bradway also..
    Jenkins was the starting NT and he had a very capable back up in Pouha.
    The fact that Jenkins and Washington got hurt had nothing to do with Mangini. Funny, it seems we had a lot more injuries under Rex than Mangini. Maybe it had to do with Mangini putting more of an emphasis on conditioning?

My point was not that Mangini drafted those players. My point was that Rex inherited a vastly more talented team from Mangini than Mangini inherited from Herm. So it would be expected that Rex be more successful coming out of the gate. He had much more to work with.