Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cromartie: an unlikely mentor.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Really? No excuse? That's a bizarrely rosy outlook, not taking into consideration that college costs have vastly outpaced inflation in the last hundred years (to typically $40k/yr) increasing sixfold since the 80's (which I'm guessing is long after your grandfather was putting kids thru college) while wages have remained stagnant, adjusting for inflation, since the 70's. Plus a lot of other factors like inusurance, loss of benefits, pensions, etc. , and actual unemployment around 12%, means it takes more than an 'able body and mind'.
    +1

Really? No excuse? That's a bizarrely rosy outlook, not taking into consideration that college costs have vastly outpaced inflation in the last hundred years (to typically $40k/yr) increasing sixfold since the 80's (which I'm guessing is long after your grandfather was putting kids thru college) while wages have remained stagnant, adjusting for inflation, since the 70's. Plus a lot of other factors like inusurance, loss of benefits, pensions, etc. , and actual unemployment around 12%, means it takes more than an 'able body and mind'.
    +1000... Can't compare today to any other time except possibly the Depression... and that applies to many able bodied and minded people.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    This was brought to you by Magnum.

Hall Of Fame
    Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I am not saying it is easy but you are talking to a guy who knows people that have been in this country for only 10 years and have managed to be successful so the "different times" argument falls short for me.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-02-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Sounds like a bunch of excuses to me.

We will just have to agree to disagree. I am not saying it is easy but you are talking to a guy who knows people that have been in this country for only 10 years and have managed to be successful so the "different times" argument falls short for me.
    4 kids through college today is about $700 - $800K for good schools. It can be done for some people but not ALL successful and able bodied and minded people can today. Much more difficult today than in years past.

True but

Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    4 kids through college today is about $700 - $800K for good schools. It can be done for some people but not ALL successful and able bodied and minded people can today. Much more difficult today than in years past.
    Your argument is flawed. That or my reading comprehension has improved. The author was saying that if there is a will there is a way back then and now. You don't need to send your kids to Ivy League schools or pay big $$$ for college to be view as success. College is available to anyone. Go to a community college or a less expensive 4 year college. It's what you make with it that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
    Your argument is flawed. That or my reading comprehension has improved. The author was saying that if there is a will there is a way back then and now. You don't need to send your kids to Ivy League schools or pay big $$$ for college to be view as success. College is available to anyone. Go to a community college or a less expensive 4 year college. It's what you make with it that counts.
    Understood! My point was it is much more expensive today relatively speaking than when I put myself through from 76-80.
    Then I had to put two of my own through within the past 3 years. Can be down but it is a lot more difficult today and not all people can do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Flushing Roots View Post
    I put 2 kids thru college for less than $13K a year including room and board (each). Both graduated about 5 years ago from SUNY schools and have excellent jobs.
    My daughter got her Masters in School Psychology which cost about 75K and she had her own apt at that point.

Private schools would have cost double that. My daughter paid 1/3 for her masters and daddy paid the rest. Seems like there are a lot of options out there for someone who wants the degree .

Jets Insider VIP
    Cro's Schwartz seems like a much better human being than Mevis' Schwartz

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Cro's Schwartz seems like a much better human being than Mevis' Schwartz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ__Q-_QLj4

All League
    Not impressed Cro is convincing a couple of immature rookies to be financially responsible. Lets see him convince Sar to trade in the BMW for a Prius, if he is so good