Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Sanchez had fewer poor throws than Flacco, tied with Brady

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    There are probably eight teams or so in the running for the Suck for Clowney sweeps next May ...Jaguars, Bills, Browns, Raiders, Cardinals, Chiefs, Bears, Eagles, Patriots if Gheydy is injured, Panthers etc

The Jets won't be hideous enough even if Buttfumble plays to qualify. If Smith starts we'll be drafting in no worse than the midpack 16 or so
    While this is a possibility you also have to look at how the Colts did it and then realize that their roster was not really all that bad. There is a pretty fine line between 2-14 and say 7-9.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    why would I do that dimbulb

If Sucky starts, it just means a top 5 draft pick next season him booted out the door at the end of the season when he drags the Jets down for the third year in a row

Unlike you, I've been a Jet fan for a long time. I can wait the Buttfumble Error out for one more year if I have to
    why? because you have continually said that of the 4 QB's on the team, sanchez is by far the worst.

I'm pretty sure you said if sanchez starts the jets are a 2-4 win team. but if mcelroy, simms or smith start the jets are a 9 win team. so it should be obvious to idzik and rex that sanchez can't possibly start right?

how do you know how long i've been a jets fan? i've been on this particular site longer than you have. you know nothing about me. so don't make this personal. thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Clowney is a once in a generation player and if we are in position to pick him then there are a boatload of options available to us including acquiring many valuable picks. Being at the top of the draft next year is setting up to be a once in a decade type opportunity. And yes, I understand that even putting forward that idea is highly controversial on here.

Obviously the offense will need to be addressed if we are ever going to get out of the toilet, but the world also changed with the Rookie salary cap restrictions a few years ago. Those changes mean that now we are back to a point where being at the top of the draft is no longer the liability is was.
    Like the " once in a generation player" that most here wanted the Jets to put themselves in the position to draft when Reggie Bush was coming out? Remember how pissed most here were that the Jets didn't throw the Raider game to be lucky enough to draft him, "setting up to be a once in a decade type opportunity"?

Thats why people who do this for a living don't act like internet fans who would tank a game or season for an unknown.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    There's only one problem with this line of thinking: it's inherently ridiculous.

If Sanchez is kept, but Geno beats him out (as most of us hope), how does Sanchez impact productivity? How productive would he be holding a clipboard? I know he acted like a girl when McElroy came in during the Cards game, but that doesn't mean he would be a distraction if he entered the season as a backup.

Team building improves if Sanchez is cut? How? That basically leaves you with three rookies at QB. Think the veterans on this team will be happy about the fact that the team goes into camp with a combined total of 1 start amongst the QBs in rotation? Not to mention the fact that they'll all know that the team was perfectly content paying more than $8 million to a player not on the roster that they didn't have to cut and for whom they got nothing in return. Nice message there to the rest of the team...

You detest Mark Sanchez. We get it. I'm sure you'll mention it 5-10 more times today. But you won't convince any reasonable mind here that it makes even marginal sense to just cut the guy outright.
    Thank You!!!

There are a small cadre of Jets fans who would turn and dismember their own mother in order to be "right" on JI rather than discuss football with a modicum of rationality!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Like the " once in a generation player" that most here wanted the Jets to put themselves in the position to draft when Reggie Bush was coming out? Remember how pissed most here were that the Jets didn't throw the Raider game to be lucky enough to draft him, "setting up to be a once in a decade type opportunity"?

Thats why people who do this for a living don't act like internet fans who would tank a game or season for an unknown.
    Ummm this!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP

Absolutely...the professionals do their research and draft guys like Kyle Wilson and Vlad and go to Kentucky for a linebacker and come back with a half a$$ full back.

Kidding aside...Watch the reaction of fans when OBrien was drafted. Seems all the smart money was on marino except the JETS knew better.

Quote Originally Posted by LSJF View Post
    Can you name any skilled position weapons from our offense? I'll take Craig and Clark in their primes...who'd we have? Keller?
    I would too. And they would both suffer with Sanchez as their QB.

Hall Of Fame

My recollection was that there was significant disagreement before the draft about how well Reggie Bush was going to do at the pro level. Significant disagreement. So no, whatever you imagine or recollect that you heard about Reggie Bush is nothing at all like the "once in a generation" talent that appears to represented by Clowney. Plus you know, a running back /returner can never be that valuable. They simply do not play the right position for that even if there was zero disagreement about how good they were going to be in that role.

Javendon Clowney is being compared to Bruce Smith or Reggie White. I have been watching this sport for a long time I cannot remember ever hearing such comparisons.

And yes, real teams do indeed tank seasons to get their man. The Colts manufactured such a season two years ago.

brady has a bad arm and can't throw deep anymore. sanchez makes bad decisions and bad throws. great combination, not.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Still not great but when you take the bad receiving corps out of the picture he looks a little better:

Why There May Be Hope for Mark Sanchez

Skeptics can be forgiven for rolling their eyes when new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg recently said that Mark Sanchez's throwing accuracy was much improved. After all, the club has been trying—and failing—to fix that problem for years.
    Enlarge Image

Associated PressNew York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez

But Mornhinweg knows better than most what's required to make these repairs. As the Eagles' offensive coordinator, he helped dramatically improve two similarly scatter-armed quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick.

Last year, 17.4% of Sanchez's attempts were ruled "poor throws," according to Stats LLC, which makes rulings on how catchable each pass is. This was the sixth worst among NFL starting quarterbacks, and his career rate is 18.2%.

Sanchez's off-target throwing is a big factor in his NFL-worst 55.1% career completion rate since 2009 (minimum 1,000 attempts).

But being handed a quarterback coming off a woeful throwing season is old hat for Mornhinweg. McNabb missed his target on 20% of attempts in 2006. The next year, Mornhinweg helped him improve that to 14.8%.
    And just three years later, Mornhinweg achieved similar results with Vick (prior career rate of 19% poor throws). After being thrust into the Eagles' starting job, Vick lowered that to 13.7%.

Since 1992, just 12 other passers have achieved year-to-year improvements of at least 5.3 percentage points in their poor-throw rate.
    While Sanchez's throwing as a Jet has been indisputably poor, it's not the only reason for his low rate of completions.

Consider that Tom Brady last year had a nearly identical rate of poor throws, yet completed 63% of his passes versus just 54.3% for Sanchez.
    The primary difference is that when Brady's throws are on line, there's often a wide-open receiver at the other end of it.
    —Michael Salfino

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...722901816.html

Are we seriously looking for the silver lining here? Newsflash: Sanchez was dreadful in 2012 no matter how you choose to slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks9596 View Post
    Are we seriously looking for the silver lining here? Newsflash: Sanchez was dreadful in 2012 no matter how you choose to slice it.
    The Sanchez fanatics will take over now that tebow is gone.. If for some reason geno doesn't start the season ( and he will eventually be starter next yr game 1 at latest) Sanchez crazies will say " see he is better now" because its almost impossible for a qb to play worse than #6 did last yr..and I wish him well next yr trying to re-start a career even as backup in this league, somewhere else..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    The Sanchez fanatics will take over now that tebow is gone.. If for some reason geno doesn't start the season ( and he will eventually be starter next yr game 1 at latest) Sanchez crazies will say " see he is better now" because its almost impossible for a qb to play worse than #6 did last yr..and I wish him well next yr trying to re-start a career even as backup in this league, somewhere else..
    I honestly think there are very few "Sanchez fanatics" left.

I honestly think there are very few "Sanchez fanatics" left.
    Lol no there are plenty of them, some just are hiding in the closet or have just become bitter Rex Ryan haters.. " the great defense ruined mark dam you Rex" ha.. Even Sar went back in the closet..

Hall Of Fame
    Lol no there are plenty of them, some just are hiding in the closet or have just become bitter Rex Ryan haters.. " the great defense ruined mark dam you Rex" ha.. Even Sar went back in the closet..
    LOL.... SAR had conflicting priorities. He always and forever needs to not admit to being wrong. This priority prevailed.

How about that great offense that ruined the Jets chance at a SB run - yes Damn you Rex. While we're at it, that great Rex defense **** the bed in the Pitt and Colt championship games.

I'm not a Sanchez apologist , I just realize he was completely mishandled and under developed by the Jets under Rex. Some see the AFCCC games as an accomplishment, I see them as missed opportunities. I'll contend if Rex had MM and David Lee in 2009 we might be in possession of another Lombardi.

Jets Insider VIP
    Enough about Sanchez. He is never taking another reg season snap for us ever again. Why cant you people realize this?

lol, you look hard enough you can always find a statistical category to suite your agenda...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

My recollection was that there was significant disagreement before the draft about how well Reggie Bush was going to do at the pro level. Significant disagreement. So no, whatever you imagine or recollect that you heard about Reggie Bush is nothing at all like the "once in a generation" talent that appears to represented by Clowney. Plus you know, a running back /returner can never be that valuable. They simply do not play the right position for that even if there was zero disagreement about how good they were going to be in that role.

Javendon Clowney is being compared to Bruce Smith or Reggie White. I have been watching this sport for a long time I cannot remember ever hearing such comparisons.

And yes, real teams do indeed tank seasons to get their man. The Colts manufactured such a season two years ago.
    Worked fine with Luck.

Most times it doesn't. Seen enough "the next" whoevers over the years that bust.. Which is why teams don't tank seasons. I like him too, would draft him in a second. Wouldn't tank the season for him.

Again, Reggie Bush was on the top of every ones draft board. He was a can't miss. A once in a lifetime talent and player. Was going to redefine the position. Was another Gale Sayers. Sayers was the guy everyone compared him to. If we tanked the season to draft him we would call him the biggest bust in jets history. Quite a statement.

In short, he's everybody's No. 1. "He's not going to be around by the time we get to pick, but he's the top-rated player on our board," says Tony Razzano, chief scout for the Super Bowl champion 49ers, who pick 28th.

"He's one of the most talented defensive linemen since I've been scouting," says Bobby Beathard, general manager of the Redskins. "He has the highest grade of any player this year, a grade similar to that of an O.J. Simpson."

"He's a pillar of strength on the run and he has that initial quickness and lateral movement you need for pass rushing," says Mike Hickey, director of player personnel for the Jets. "I don't know, but I think a player of this magnitude doesn't come out that often."

Green Bay's chief scout, Dick Corrick, puts it more bluntly: "It's a one-man draft."

Kenny Sims, before going number 1 to the Pats in the 80's.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Worked fine with Luck.

Most times it doesn't. Seen enough "the next" whoever over the years. Which is why teams don't tank seasons
    Understood.

I think that I misstated my thinking on this. It is not so much "here is this terrific guy, let's go out and suck so that we get him" as much as it is "we are going to be bad anyway. Let's not kill ourselves to be great next year but rather develop the kids and try to be really good the year after that. Oh, and it will not hurt if we happen to be at the very top of the draft board next year either".

As I mentioned earlier in the thread. New coordinators across the board, question marks galore at the most important position on the team, a bunch of veterans released on defense and at least one more year to clean out the remnants of the former GM's organization. All of these things set up for a rebuilding year and I think it is a tremendously fine line between a 2-14 season and a 7-9 season.

Clowney or the QB is not out of the question next year IMO. Even if we do not have the need ourselves we can parlay the pick into a boatload of other picks I think. If we want Reggie White but find ourselves with an embarrassment of riches on the DL we can choose to assemble a super unit for the ages or trade a proven young DL stud for a boatload of picks or a proven young stud from our trading partner.

It is all good and I don't think you even need to try all the hard to get to 2-14.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Flip side is it might not be all that hard to be in a position to be in the playoff hunt.