Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I-5 Bridge Collapse Shows Bridge Repair Needs Across U.S

All Pro
    I think most all of us are a bit bitter.

Our roads and bridges need to be upgraded, whats the argument?

The guy driving the over sized load was interviewed and he has been driving the same load on the same bridge dor years, not sure why it didn't fit this time.

Bonus points for a "bit bitter".

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Whether you get less is debatable... but funny to watch the same people whining about "where did the money go" who want to close an unrelated dept. they dont like....wait for it...to throw more money at the problem!

Why not take the money from defense?
    Because the politicians are deep inside the pockets of the "defense" companies. That is why when politicians talk about cutting wasteful tax spending they fail to mention "defense", an area where billions have been "lost" over the years.

See when the democrat politicians are beholden to the unions it's nothing less than an affront to our democracy. But when the republican (and some democratic) politicians are beholden to the private "defense" companies its called.....um, nothing because its ignored.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.

It's time we stopped wasting billions on roads and invested Gazillions of government dollars in the technology of the future, Transporters that dematerialize and rematerialize mater moving all of us and our stuff instantly through space and time.

Think of the green jobs this could create. Bridges are so 20th century.

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It's time we stopped wasting billions on roads
    I think we already did.

Jets Insider VIP
    Whether you get less is debatable... but funny to watch the same people whining about "where did the money go" who want to close an unrelated dept. they dont like....wait for it...to throw more money at the problem!

Why not take the money from defense?
    Not sure what you mean but when I started at a BIG CPA firm, we audited municipalities. Ive seen many from the inside. The waste was mind boggling. What we see with GSA, IRS, etc spending billions on basically not much. This did not go on in fortune 500 companies to any real degree. Watching departments spend money they did not need just to keep it in the budget.

Management? Really. That's all I am saying. They are no watchdog over our dollars.

I fully believe we could cut pretty much MOST departments by 10 percent and be fine. Go to DC and look at the dept of labor agriculture etc... they need5000 employees?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Not sure what you mean but when I started at a BIG CPA firm, we audited municipalities. Ive seen many from the inside. The waste was mind boggling. What we see with GSA, IRS, etc spending billions on basically not much. This did not go on in fortune 500 companies to any real degree. Watching departments spend money they did not need just to keep it in the budget.

Management? Really. That's all I am saying. They are no watchdog over our dollars.
    And yet you want to throw more money at it.

I think we already did.
    If we ripped out all the roads and planted grass and trees where highways used to stand we could stop global warming.

If we ripped out all the roads and planted grass and trees where highways used to stand we could stop global warming.
    But we couldn't go anywhere.

All Pro
    =================================================

Jet Pak!

Jets Insider VIP
    The largest producer of waste is the Pentagon throwing unneeded billions at those well managed Fortune 500 contractors for vastly overpriced junk not wanted by the armed forces but wanted by crooked members of the House and Senate for their districts and the kickbacks for campaign contributions.

For some reason that part of gubment spendin waste is an untouchable sacred cow

Jets Insider VIP
    And yet you want to throw more money at it.
    Throw money at what???? I am for less spending. Now im confused?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    The largest producer of waste is the Pentagon throwing unneeded billions at those well managed Fortune 500 contractors for vastly overpriced junk not wanted by the armed forces but wanted by crooked members of the House and Senate for their districts and the kickbacks for campaign contributions.

For some reason that part of gubment spendin waste is an untouchable sacred cow
    no doubt.

Without a turntable could you listen to music? You have to stop living in the past. It's only a matter of time before we will be freed up from the current limits of a transportation system that was built on early 20th century technology. Building roads like using internal combustion to go places is holding us back.

Hall Of Fame
    Aren't we going to have a sh*t ton of money coming off the books once these wars end? Or has that money already been spent too?

Wait a second . . . we haven't actually paid for those wars yet have we??

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Not many funded by Obama. And not many in the US either.
    The ones funded are folding or moving to China. GE, which is not getting anything from Obama's payoff service, does a decent job on solar as well as wind as well as nuclear. All without gov help.
    And please get off the Halliburton BS.
    As an "intelligent" person, please comment on what other companies are available to provide all that they do/did.
    Further, if they are such a rip off operation, how come they make such a small profit? I do not own shares but am aware of them. They pay tax at a 47% rate BTW. That's even higher than Buffet's secretary.
    So help me understand your logic; reports have found that the waste in the area of "defense" spending to be astronomical;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lorentho...idnt-work-out/

http://www.businessinsider.com/milit...s-2011-10?op=1

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/12/7_ab...payer_dollars/

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogsp...-military.html

Yet you are insinuating that Halliburton is the only private company that is responsible for the waste of taxpayer money in the area of "defense" (waste estimated to be in the billions in 2007). In your world, since no other company can do what they do, no other defense company contributed to that figure? Got it.

Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-04-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    Predictable deflection by the Baghdad Bob of JI.
    And an even more predictable retort by the Mr. Potter of JI

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    So help me understand your logic; reports have found that the waste in the area of "defense" spending to be astronomical;

Yet you are insinuating that Halliburton is the only private company that is responsible for the waste of taxpayer money in the area of "defense" (waste estimated to be in the billions in 2007). In your world, since no other company can do what they do, no other defense company contributed to that figure? Got it.

I'm all for cutting the crap out of the defense department along with the rest of government, along with a tax code that eliminates all deductions and lowers rates to correspond to the new lean government we all want to see.

If you agree that defense is a mess why would you support any other branch of government being expanded to resemble defense with all it's waste and miss management?

It's really not about wasting money and ripping off the taxpayer with you it's about your political priority.

Defense is no more a sacred cow than tax deductions for mortgages. Every dime spent and every tax deduction is a sacred cow to some constituent at the expense of another.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-04-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Without a turntable could you listen to music? You have to stop living in the past.
    I never bought a turntable.

They give you music for free on the radio!

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post

I attacked your foolish comment on Halliburton. I stated you are uninformed and you are. Academics generally spew nonsense because they are 'ivory towered".
    Other companies do sell things to our government. YOU stated Halliburton. And no bid. If only one company can do a job they get a no bid. My accurate statement is that Halliburton is not some enormous company gouging. Their financial data (suggest you read) verifies this.
    As far as other companies, there are numerous ones involved in national defense. All bid. Like our government, many are unable to control costs.
    Stop buying things the gov does not need. Much of the defense production occurs in states run by DEMOCRATIC senators and congressman. The major ones are concentrated in Cal, Wash, CT. That would be Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, GE, General Dynamics.
    We can cut back production and unit waste. We train more than any other military and use amazing quantities of ammunition. There can be cut backs.

Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I attacked your foolish comment on Halliburton. I stated you are uninformed and you are. Academics generally spew nonsense because they are 'ivory towered".
    Other companies do sell things to our government. YOU stated Halliburton. And no bid. If only one company can do a job they get a no bid. My accurate statement is that Halliburton is not some enormous company gouging. Their financial data (suggest you read) verifies this.
    As far as other companies, there are numerous ones involved in national defense. All bid. Like our government, many are unable to control costs.
    Stop buying things the gov does not need. Much of the defense production occurs in states run by DEMOCRATIC senators and congressman. The major ones are concentrated in Cal, Wash, CT. That would be Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrup Grumman, GE, General Dynamics.
    We can cut back production and unit waste. We train more than any other military and use amazing quantities of ammunition. There can be cut backs.
    Please go back and read your initial post to me and my response. Then explain why 3/4 of your post above has nothing to do with what I wrote.