Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Am I The Only One?

  1. #61
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mai Shu View Post
    "Bottom line is playing the Pats early before they have everyone on the same page on offense gives them a chance."

    With all the veterans on the PATS and they can't get on the same page, what make you think the jets can? I will not question your optimism but "common man!"
    Do you watch football?
    Last year, the Arizona Cardinals went into Gillette, 2nd game of the year & beat the Pats with Kevin Corn Kob at QB!
    From what I remember, the Pats were a veteran team last year.
    Just like our playoff game in 2010, all I heard on the local radio stations here in New England was, " please call in & give us a reason he Jets have any chance in this game?"
    One astute Pats fan called & said, "any given Sunday"
    One smart Pats fan.

  2. #62
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,092
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    It can't be worse than last years O. Marty is a pro and will adjust. It might suck but on a comparative basis it's going to be much better than last year.
    It takes time to learn a new offense. The second year in the same system is usually when you start to see results. On paper you might be better but the offense could actually be worse as there is going to be a learning curve for everyone on offfense.

  3. #63
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Do you watch football?
    Last year, the Arizona Cardinals went into Gillette, 2nd game of the year & beat the Pats with Kevin Corn Kob at QB!
    From what I remember, the Pats were a veteran team last year.
    Just like our playoff game in 2010, all I heard on the local radio stations here in New England was, " please call in & give us a reason he Jets have any chance in this game?"
    One astute Pats fan called & said, "any given Sunday"
    One smart Pats fan.
    The Cards game was a classic let down game. Many good teams in the past have fallen for looking past their current opponent. IMO, that's what happened to the Patsies in that game.

    I just can't see that happening with the Jets though. The Jets are their very bitter rivals. There's nothing BB enjoys more than to stick it to the Jets WHENEVER he can to the tune of 40-0.

    I doubt they ever get caught off guard when playing the Jets and they aren't going to this season. If the Jets win the game, it will be because they outplayed and outcoached them, nothing less will suffice.

    With all the new faces on the team and an uncertain QB situation I can't see the Jets winning that game. The only thing I would imagine the team would learn from this game is to know just how far away they are from the tops in the division.

  4. #64
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Cards game was a classic let down game. Many good teams in the past have fallen for looking past their current opponent. IMO, that's what happened to the Patsies in that game.

    I just can't see that happening with the Jets though. The Jets are their very bitter rivals. There's nothing BB enjoys more than to stick it to the Jets WHENEVER he can to the tune of 40-0.

    I doubt they ever get caught off guard when playing the Jets and they aren't going to this season. If the Jets win the game, it will be because they outplayed and outcoached them, nothing less will suffice.

    With all the new faces on the team and an uncertain QB situation I can't see the Jets winning that game. The only thing I would imagine the team would learn from this game is to know just how far away they are from the tops in the division.
    Last year week 7 we played to Pats to a standstill with the Sparano/Sanchez duo. That shows it's totally possible.

    Rex will have the D ready. Our 1213 team is already better on paper. I'm hopeful we'll be competitive this game and all season long.

    (begin rant) I'm trusting Marty M. to run the offense and pull the trigger quickly on any QB who isn't cutting it. Hell, I hope he trots out all 4 of them if need be to find one who buys into ball control. I hope the days of protecting the QB's fragile ego are over.(end rant)
    Last edited by LIJetsFan; 06-05-2013 at 08:59 AM.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Cards game was a classic let down game. Many good teams in the past have fallen for looking past their current opponent. IMO, that's what happened to the Patsies in that game.

    I just can't see that happening with the Jets though. The Jets are their very bitter rivals. There's nothing BB enjoys more than to stick it to the Jets WHENEVER he can to the tune of 40-0.

    I doubt they ever get caught off guard when playing the Jets and they aren't going to this season. If the Jets win the game, it will be because they outplayed and outcoached them, nothing less will suffice.

    With all the new faces on the team and an uncertain QB situation I can't see the Jets winning that game. The only thing I would imagine the team would learn from this game is to know just how far away they are from the tops in the division.
    Buttfumble had us getting shut out in the second half against those Cards (with a third string QB)..He showed his unique ability to hit Kerry Rhodes in stride for a long interception.

    Thankfully the Jets pulled the Turnover machine out in time for McElroy to lead them to a win.

    The Jets will have many chances to win in 2013 once they send JaMARKus to the clipboard or, even better, the EXIT

  6. #66
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    The Cards game was a classic let down game. Many good teams in the past have fallen for looking past their current opponent. IMO, that's what happened to the Patsies in that game.

    I just can't see that happening with the Jets though. The Jets are their very bitter rivals. There's nothing BB enjoys more than to stick it to the Jets WHENEVER he can to the tune of 40-0.

    I doubt they ever get caught off guard when playing the Jets and they aren't going to this season. If the Jets win the game, it will be because they outplayed and outcoached them, nothing less will suffice.

    With all the new faces on the team and an uncertain QB situation I can't see the Jets winning that game. The only thing I would imagine the team would learn from this game is to know just how far away they are from the tops in the division.
    The Pats also are in transition on offense. Brady will be 1 year older & who knows, maybe Coples, Big Wilk or Richardson will pile drive him into the turf sending him to the sideline to reconsider retirement.
    You just NEVER KNOW what will happen in any football game.
    Jets should have won last year & they should be a lot better. I don't think you can say the Pats will be A LOT BETTER, after losing clutch Welker & having all new wideouts & and maybe a banged up Gronk.

  7. #67
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,179
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    It takes time to learn a new offense. The second year in the same system is usually when you start to see results. On paper you might be better but the offense could actually be worse as there is going to be a learning curve for everyone on offfense.
    Not possible. Last year we installed 2 new O's in the offseason. One for Sanchez and the Veer for Tebow. It's going to be a learning experience but it will be better than last year.

    If Marty M runs an O that's equal to or worse than the O Sparano installed I would be shocked. We could have a learning curve, we could suck but we will be much better than last year.

  8. #68
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    13,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Last year week 7 we played to Pats to a standstill with the Sparano/Sanchez duo. That shows it's totally possible.

    Rex will have the D ready. Our 1213 team is already better on paper. I'm hopeful we'll be competitive this game and all season long.

    (begin rant) I'm trusting Marty M. to run the offense and pull the trigger quickly on any QB who isn't cutting it. Hell, I hope he trots out all 4 of them if need be to find one who buys into ball control. I hope the days of protecting the QB's fragile ego are over.(end rant)
    I really don't see how you can say this years team is better than last. We purged a lot of veterans from the team. Albeit, mostly overpaid and underperforming. But now? All we have is a lot of question marks.

    We signed some good players but they all come with injury baggage. Not to mention they are starting over with another team. Chemistry doesn't happen overnight. When will the rookies get into the swing of things? That doesn't happen overnight.

    The Patsy game is only the 2nd game of the season. IMO, not enought time for the team to be hitting on all cylinders.

    I'll agree the offense got better. There wasn't anywhere for the offense to go but up. That isn't saying much though.

    But I also think the defense LOST talent overall. What else can you say when you lose guys like Revis and Laron Landry? And please don't say Cro was just as good as Revis last season and Revis was out for the entire season. Cro did have a great year. But it is also something he has never done before. He never shows that kind of talent consistently. In most of his seasons, he's been the "best of the rest". Head and shoulders below a guy like Revis. Jets fans will be greatly disappointed if they think Cro will pick right up where he left off last season.

    Now we have a big hole at FS. I also think the linebackers need to be improved.

    Sure, our DL looks to be the best we've had in years and I think the pass rush has improved.

    But what about protecting the middle of the field? Something we've been vulnerable to for two straight seasons now. What about defending deep plays beyond 30 yards?

    Can Coples hit the ground running? I doubt it. It's going to take time to learn a new position. He's a good player but he's never played OLB before. I never saw him play OLB at all last season.

    All in all, I believe this seasons defense will be the worst in the Rex Ryan era. Probably not even top 10 overall.

    Will the special teams improve? I don't see any major additions on ST to say definitely they'll be better. A new ST coordinator and he's not Mike Westoff. I doubt anyone ever could be.

    Where the Patsy game is so close to the beginning of the season, I cannot see them being competitive against TB.

    I hate to be so depressing, but I do think I am stating all legitimate questions.

  9. #69
    All League
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    4,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post

  10. #70
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I really don't see how you can say this years team is better than last. We purged a lot of veterans from the team. Albeit, mostly overpaid and underperforming. But now? All we have is a lot of question marks.

    We signed some good players but they all come with injury baggage. Not to mention they are starting over with another team. Chemistry doesn't happen overnight. When will the rookies get into the swing of things? That doesn't happen overnight.

    The Patsy game is only the 2nd game of the season. IMO, not enought time for the team to be hitting on all cylinders.

    I'll agree the offense got better. There wasn't anywhere for the offense to go but up. That isn't saying much though.

    But I also think the defense LOST talent overall. What else can you say when you lose guys like Revis and Laron Landry? And please don't say Cro was just as good as Revis last season and Revis was out for the entire season. Cro did have a great year. But it is also something he has never done before. He never shows that kind of talent consistently. In most of his seasons, he's been the "best of the rest". Head and shoulders below a guy like Revis. Jets fans will be greatly disappointed if they think Cro will pick right up where he left off last season.

    Now we have a big hole at FS. I also think the linebackers need to be improved.

    Sure, our DL looks to be the best we've had in years and I think the pass rush has improved.

    But what about protecting the middle of the field? Something we've been vulnerable to for two straight seasons now. What about defending deep plays beyond 30 yards?

    Can Coples hit the ground running? I doubt it. It's going to take time to learn a new position. He's a good player but he's never played OLB before. I never saw him play OLB at all last season.

    All in all, I believe this seasons defense will be the worst in the Rex Ryan era. Probably not even top 10 overall.

    Will the special teams improve? I don't see any major additions on ST to say definitely they'll be better. A new ST coordinator and he's not Mike Westoff. I doubt anyone ever could be.

    Where the Patsy game is so close to the beginning of the season, I cannot see them being competitive against TB.

    I hate to be so depressing, but I do think I am stating all legitimate questions.
    Ah, so here is where we differ.

    I think you're overlooking the fact that Rex is taking over on defense this year. We lost Landry and Bell on defense but not much else worth a damn. The only thing those discards had going for them was knowing the system.

    We picked up Landry which is a bit of a downgrade from his brother. But keep in mind Rex had top defenses in '09, 10, & '11 with the likes of Rhodes, Smith, Leonard, Poole, & Lowery. Those are not exactly HOFers but Rex had them producing. I'm confident he'll pull it off with Landry, Bush, Allen, and Co. Further Barnes is a definite upgrade at OLB and I'm willing to be optimistic about Coples new role. All in all I think the D surprises you on the upside.

    Also FWIW, 1st game the season with a new OC, the O came out red hot and smoked Buffalo so the whole growing pains scenario is not dyed in the wool.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us