Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: The CB Position

  1. #1

    The CB Position

    Time for some actual football debate on this board...

    With the departure of Revis and the addition of Milliner, I think one area of the team that bears watching in training camp is the race for the #4 and #5 CB spots. After Cro, Milliner and Wilson, you've got a group that consists of:

    Aaron Berry
    Darrin Walls
    Eric Crocker
    Mike Edwards
    Donnie Fletcher
    Ellis Lankster
    Isaiah Trufant
    Royce Adams

    That's a pretty hefty list, esp considering Aaron Berry has a great chance of picking up the #4 spot. So who is your choice for the #5 corner? Or do they go with 6 CBs? Who's practice squad material?

    Frankly, I'm curious what people think since this looks like a bit of a logjam.

  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,149
    Right now, berry is working as the starting corner with millner out as nobody wants kyle Wilson anyone near a starting nfl wide receiver.

  3. #3
    Where is Manny Collins on that list?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Right now, berry is working as the starting corner with millner out as nobody wants kyle Wilson anyone near a starting nfl wide receiver.
    That had nothing to do with my original post. But thanks for spewing some off-topic vitriol!

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    169
    Haven't heard much about him but I know Eric Crocker is 6'2 and if he has any kind of talent, he should be in consideration for a spot on a roster. You can't teach height at the CB position.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Posts
    9,352
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    Time for some actual football debate on this board...

    With the departure of Revis and the addition of Milliner, I think one area of the team that bears watching in training camp is the race for the #4 and #5 CB spots. After Cro, Milliner and Wilson, you've got a group that consists of:

    Aaron Berry
    Darrin Walls
    Eric Crocker
    Mike Edwards
    Donnie Fletcher
    Ellis Lankster
    Isaiah Trufant
    Royce Adams

    That's a pretty hefty list, esp considering Aaron Berry has a great chance of picking up the #4 spot. So who is your choice for the #5 corner? Or do they go with 6 CBs? Who's practice squad material?

    Frankly, I'm curious what people think since this looks like a bit of a logjam.
    Nice thread.
    Curious @ Berry. If nothing else i liked his passion on the sidelines. He oft seemed to be shadowing Rex by a few yards. Seems like he has some passion to right the ship at minimum.

    Your right on though, this should be very interesting, and enjoyable to watch develop. Safety Positions as well.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Nice thread.
    Curious @ Berry. If nothing else i liked his passion on the sidelines. He oft seemed to be shadowing Rex by a few yards. Seems like he has some passion to right the ship at minimum.

    Your right on though, this should be very interesting, and enjoyable to watch develop. Safety Positions as well.
    Berry was certainly and under-the-radar pickup last year, esp for a guy with starting experience, even though he has legal troubles. Unless he REALLY struggles in camp, I would say he's the #4 guy.

    Which leaves more than a half a dozen guys going for the #5 spot. Trufant and Lankster have the edge with experience, but could someone like Mike Edwards or Darrin Walls knock them off? Or, could they give the edge to a guy like Crocker who could feasibly play both CB and S? Interesting questions all around.

  8. #8
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,866
    Lankster and Trufant.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    Berry was certainly and under-the-radar pickup last year, esp for a guy with starting experience, even though he has legal troubles. Unless he REALLY struggles in camp, I would say he's the #4 guy.

    Which leaves more than a half a dozen guys going for the #5 spot. Trufant and Lankster have the edge with experience, but could someone like Mike Edwards or Darrin Walls knock them off? Or, could they give the edge to a guy like Crocker who could feasibly play both CB and S? Interesting questions all around.
    rex likes his guys so have to give the edge to Trufant or Lankster. although I am unfamiliar with the others.

    have we kept 6 in the recent past?

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,225
    Cro
    Milliner
    Berry
    Wilson/Trufant
    Lankster

    That would be my depth chart.

  11. #11
    I like Trufant a lot as a 4 or 5 corner.Thought he put in some very good performances last year and he seems to be improving as a player.I don't think it's a stretch to say he's borderline starter material on some teams.

    With Berry and Lankster I think we are OK depth wise.

    And Kyle Wilson is just fine and still developing

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    cro
    berry
    milliner
    wilson
    trufant

    I actually can't wait to see how well berry plays with the system down and healthy. I think we are going to be fairly strong at cb

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,717
    Trufant was playing very well last year just before his injury. How well he comes back from the injury may determine his future with us. If he comes back 100% he may push Wilson for the #3 spot, or at least being the #4. His strength seemed to be playing in the slot.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,404
    Rex always keeps a lot of CBs - at least 6 in previous years.

    Cro
    Milliner
    Berry
    Wilson
    Trufant
    Walls

    Edwards to the PS.

  15. #15
    Walls and Fletcher are guys that I know next to nothing about, and I've seen Walls' name mentioned in a number of camp reports/season previews as a guy who could surprise.

    Anyone have any insight on these guys?

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Trufant was playing very well last year just before his injury. How well he comes back from the injury may determine his future with us. If he comes back 100% he may push Wilson for the #3 spot, or at least being the #4. His strength seemed to be playing in the slot.
    Trufant shut down Welker in NE if I recall...injury was tough

    Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,866
    Ellis Lankster is making this team.. Rex loves the dude

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    Time for some actual football debate on this board...

    With the departure of Revis and the addition of Milliner, I think one area of the team that bears watching in training camp is the race for the #4 and #5 CB spots. After Cro, Milliner and Wilson, you've got a group that consists of:

    Aaron Berry
    Darrin Walls
    Eric Crocker
    Mike Edwards
    Donnie Fletcher
    Ellis Lankster
    Isaiah Trufant
    Royce Adams

    That's a pretty hefty list, esp considering Aaron Berry has a great chance of picking up the #4 spot. So who is your choice for the #5 corner? Or do they go with 6 CBs? Who's practice squad material?

    Frankly, I'm curious what people think since this looks like a bit of a logjam.
    1 Cro
    2 Wilson
    3 Milliner
    4 Lancaster
    5 Trufant

    PS Walls

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    1 Cro
    2 Wilson
    3 Milliner
    4 Lancaster
    5 Trufant

    PS Walls
    Berry is completely out here?

    Berry's been getting reps with the 1s in Milliner's absence, they're obviously committing to Wilson playing the slot. For some reason or another, I have a strong feeling he makes the team.

    I thought Trufant made strides this past year, Lankster I was ho-hum about, even though he brings great energy to the position.

    If nothing else, this is just a good example of how Idzik's planned philosophy of competition is really playing out. Whether they go with 5 or 6 CBs, this is at least a group with a fair amount of athleticism and a good foundation to work with on the roster or PS.

  20. #20
    The order should be cro/deez/wilson/berry/lankster the real question is can any of these DB's play FS which is a very thin spot on the roster

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us