Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fatalities at Everest

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Just in case you're wondering, a helicopter rescue for a climber in distress somewhere in the vicinity of Base Camp II will result in about a $60K bill when all is said and done. Don't ask me how I know.
    Not many helicopters operate at that altitude whatever the cost...not entirely sure how I know that either

I just finished reading Jon Krakauer's book "Into Thin Air". Chilling would be an apt description. Thought I'd revisit this... I can honestly say the book put to rest any romantic notion to climb that mountain (more so even than the images of frozen corpses).

Not sure why it took me so long to read Krakauer's legendary Everest account. I came at it backwards. Reading first "Under the Banner of Heaven" (his more recent and equally disturbing work on faith based crime and Mormonism)

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The whole place is littered with thousands of used oxygen bottles and trash too.
    just like ur room?...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 2foolish197 View Post
    just like ur room?...
    ...and it is OUTTA HERE! HOME RUN!

just like ur room?...
    a friggin delayed insult...I must admire.

Jets Insider VIP
    Watched this Dateline episode not too long ago on Everest - actually an account of the highest death toll on a single day of climbing. Pretty chilling stuff (no pun intended....ok, somewhat)

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/52943468#52943468

Bewildered Beast
    Just in case you're wondering, a helicopter rescue for a climber in distress somewhere in the vicinity of Base Camp II will result in about a $60K bill when all is said and done. Don't ask me how I know.
    Did you Make A Wish to save climbers on Everest?

Pics of your toolbelt, or GTFO

Jets Insider VIP
    Can you keep the skeletons if you pass them up? Or no. Like trophies put them on the mantle. Talking to dinner guests like I beat this guy here and that guy there while holding the skulls in your hands as you recall the climb. That would be epic. I can literally see my inlaws faces

Quote Originally Posted by titanbuoy View Post
    I just finished reading Jon Krakauer's book "Into Thin Air". Chilling would be an apt description. Thought I'd revisit this... I can honestly say the book put to rest any romantic notion to climb that mountain (more so even than the images of frozen corpses).

Not sure why it took me so long to read Krakauer's legendary Everest account. I came at it backwards. Reading first "Under the Banner of Heaven" (his more recent and equally disturbing work on faith based crime and Mormonism)
    They say Everest, as ridiculously hard as it is, isn't the tops... K2 is much more difficult, and there's a third but the names escapes me.

Personally I'm pretty content with Mt Washington (me, not my freakin car!), and some others in VT

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Can you keep the skeletons if you pass them up? Or no. Like trophies put them on the mantle. Talking to dinner guests like I beat this guy here and that guy there while holding the skulls in your hands as you recall the climb. That would be epic. I can literally see my inlaws faces
    LMAO so much win

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    They say Everest, as ridiculously hard as it is, isn't the tops... K2 is much more difficult, and there's a third but the names escapes me.

Personally I'm pretty content with Mt Washington (me, not my freakin car!), and some others in VT
    What's so impressive about that? There's barely a hill on the entire Virginia Tech campus.

:

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    LMAO so much win

I wouldn't be adverse to taking a humerus or something, that could probably fit in my pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    I wouldn't be adverse to taking a humerus or something, that could probably fit in my pack.
    I can get you a humerus.

I can't explain right now though

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    What's so impressive about that? There's barely a hill on the entire Virginia Tech campus.

:
    No no I meant Ver........
    waaaaaait a minute guyyyyy

(Though there's still nothing impressive about it, kids can do it)

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The whole place is littered with thousands of used oxygen bottles and trash too.
    just like ur room?...

Veteran
    What about the cost of flying a HJ-providing robot in?? Can't be too relaxed on these stressful sort of trips.

Veteran
    Everest is hard because of the altitude; it's not a real technical climb like K2. See TOUCHING THE VOID if you want to have a climbing-related panic attack.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Everest is hard because of the altitude; it's not a real technical climb like K2. See TOUCHING THE VOID if you want to have a climbing-related panic attack.
    +1

Awesome movie. Chilling story. Climbers are a ruthless bunch leaving others to die like nothing happened.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    +1

Awesome movie. Chilling story. Climbers are a ruthless bunch leaving others to die like nothing happened.
    In the movie Simon (the other guy) comes off as a cheery fairly level-headed guy. In the book however, with many other details, he's a bit of a sociopath.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Lmao!

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Climbers are a ruthless bunch leaving others to die like nothing happened.
    I would like to have a Sherpa carry me up Everest whilst I plant little flags that say "here lies a dummy who shoulda stuck to tennis" in the eyeholes of all the eejits gaping skulls littering the mountainside.

-