Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez had fewer poor throws than Flacco, tied with Brady

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez had fewer poor throws than Flacco, tied with Brady

Still not great but when you take the bad receiving corps out of the picture he looks a little better:

Why There May Be Hope for Mark Sanchez

Skeptics can be forgiven for rolling their eyes when new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg recently said that Mark Sanchez's throwing accuracy was much improved. After all, the club has been trying—and failing—to fix that problem for years.
    Enlarge Image

Associated PressNew York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez

But Mornhinweg knows better than most what's required to make these repairs. As the Eagles' offensive coordinator, he helped dramatically improve two similarly scatter-armed quarterbacks, Donovan McNabb and Michael Vick.

Last year, 17.4% of Sanchez's attempts were ruled "poor throws," according to Stats LLC, which makes rulings on how catchable each pass is. This was the sixth worst among NFL starting quarterbacks, and his career rate is 18.2%.

Sanchez's off-target throwing is a big factor in his NFL-worst 55.1% career completion rate since 2009 (minimum 1,000 attempts).

But being handed a quarterback coming off a woeful throwing season is old hat for Mornhinweg. McNabb missed his target on 20% of attempts in 2006. The next year, Mornhinweg helped him improve that to 14.8%.
    And just three years later, Mornhinweg achieved similar results with Vick (prior career rate of 19% poor throws). After being thrust into the Eagles' starting job, Vick lowered that to 13.7%.

Since 1992, just 12 other passers have achieved year-to-year improvements of at least 5.3 percentage points in their poor-throw rate.
    While Sanchez's throwing as a Jet has been indisputably poor, it's not the only reason for his low rate of completions.

Consider that Tom Brady last year had a nearly identical rate of poor throws, yet completed 63% of his passes versus just 54.3% for Sanchez.
    The primary difference is that when Brady's throws are on line, there's often a wide-open receiver at the other end of it.
    —Michael Salfino

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...722901816.html
    Last edited by JetsNeedNewton; 06-02-2013 at 07:56 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    But when you include the bad decision rate, Sanchez was in a league of his own.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    WSJ should stick to the markets.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL all these "see Sanchez ain't so bad... He could turn it around" threads reek of the same bit of desperation that I used to cling to in the late 80s / early 90s when I promised ANYONE who would listen that this is finally the year that Ken O'Brien puts it all together and leads the Jets to the promised land. Naturally, that time period spanned my 4th-7th grade years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    WSJ should stick to the markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    LOL all these "see Sanchez ain't so bad... He could turn it around" threads reek of the same bit of desperation that I used to cling to in the late 80s / early 90s when I promised ANYONE who would listen that this is finally the year that Ken O'Brien puts it all together and leads the Jets to the promised land. Naturally, that time period spanned my 4th-7th grade years.

LOL at all the media sheep on this board that think they know better.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we should be encouraged because Sanchez was the sixth worst among NFL starting quarterbacks in poor throws?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

I hate stats

Anyone with two functional eyeballs could tell you that Sanchez was f*cking awful last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    So we chould be encouraged because Sanchez was the sixth worst among NFL starting quarterbacks in poor throws?
    I think I got it, the guy who robbed you, his last name was Sanchez, is that it?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOLz.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference between a long term elite QB and a JAG is,the elite QB makes even average position players look good and great players look hall of fame.
    A classic example of this is Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and Joe Montana and Brent Jones.
    This is what many here do not understand about Mark Sanchez, sorry but, he is a JAG at best and a below JAG at worst. Mark does not elevate those around him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And LOL @ this green and white knight, aka Ray "Don Quixote" Ray. He's got on his rusty armor and rides astride Rocinante Sanchez, his broken down, nag of a QB who he tries to sell to gullible idiots is still a powerful champion steed. Just one thing Donnie, we're just windmills sitting here in the field enjoying the day. We don't need your asinine delusional harassment. We ain't the dragons in your head, capisce?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want to believe. I want to think that Sanchez will turn it all around and turn into the franchise QB we hoped he would be. He's disappointed me too much and has broken my heart. I won't ever let him fool me into thinking he can be our guy again.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    The difference between a long term elite QB and a JAG is,the elite QB makes even average position players look good and great players look hall of fame.
    A classic example of this is Joe Montana and Jerry Rice and Joe Montana and Brent Jones.
    This is what many here do not understand about Mark Sanchez, sorry but, he is a JAG at best and a below JAG at worst. Mark does not elevate those around him.
    Even better would be looking at Montana's skilled position weapons for his first 2 SBs. Only Dwight Clark and Roger Craig (1984 only) are the only two people who most people can name off the top of their heads from those squads.
    Last edited by Down, Set, Haiku; 06-02-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Tanny was actually a visionary. He was able to sign the Sanchise to a cheaper contract than Flaco just got. Though Idzik may have to give Mark a raise next off season to keep him a Jet for the rest of his career.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, don't shoot the messenger. I just thought it was an interesting stat and worth sharing.

What I can't find (without a subscription I guess) is how Stats LLC defines a poor throw. I would assume bad judgment, like throwing into 3 defenders, would be included but don't know.

Does anyone know exactly what their definition is?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Ray..I bet you have a fathead of Mark and Vlad on your wall.

Unbridled, unquestioned devotion.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Ray..I bet you have a fathead of Mark and Vlad on your wall.

Unbridled, unquestioned devotion.
    Rahmond never questions anything. He could walk in on 10Penny banging his wife and he'd still shout at the top of his lungs, "SHE STILL GIVES ME THE BEST CHANCE TO BE HAPPY!".

Dude is a straight boon.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pathetic. Simply pathetic.

Just another excuse for all of the Sanchez apologists of the world.

Oh, it's the OL's fault. Oh, it's the defense that doesn't generate enough turnovers (that one was a real doozy), you can't give Sanchez any competition in camp because it might ruin his fragile mindset, It's his receivers fault, Tanny, Rex, it's Schotty's fault, Sparano, etc. and on and on and on.

The list will just never stop. I claimed the Jets made a mistake drafting Sanchez in late 2009. Called for his ouster from the starting spot in mid 2010. Knew he was hot fried garbage after the 2011 season. 2012 was merely confirming what every rational Jets fans already knew.

The guy needs to go. That move is WAY overdue to happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ray simply has no clue about what he is looking at. Either that or he simply does not watch the games.