Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Good analysis on Cumberland by the guys at TOTJ

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Good analysis on Cumberland by the guys at TOTJ

TE remains in my mind our weakest position on the team, just too many unknowns, hopefully Cumby can continue to improve, he was extremely raw in terms of blocking and overall TE awareness. I'm hoping a guy like Reuland can step up and become a reliable every down TE because I still don't think Hayden will be ready to start.

http://turnonthejets.com/2013/06/tur...pable-starter/

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Cumberland as a #2. Think he's way overmatched as a #1.

It confuses me that so many people were down on Keller, but in Cumberland you have a guy who is a lesser player in every single category by which a TE can be graded. And the thought from some is that he's going to break out this year.

Letting Keller walk was probably the only decision Idzik made this offseason that I personally took issue with - the TE has to be a reliable safety valve for an average (or rookie) QB, and I don't think Cumberland brings that to the table.

Feels like I have to hope Hayden Smith pulls a poor-man's Antonio Gates and bursts on the scene - I know it's only been one year, but IMO everything about Cumberland says career backup. Would of course love to be wrong.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this.

Fire Manish, Cimini, and Myers and hire the TOJ guys. Better analysis and it's 100% free of the rude, woman-hating, lie-filled garbage those clowns crank out.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    None of these guys really foot the bill no use in talking about 2's when you don't have a 1, unless you only have 2's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting this.

I am usually skeptical when I see thread titles that say "good article" or "great ..." b.c they are usually pom pom waving articles. This was not the case here. Very good article with solid analysis and a fair opinion. Nothing earth-shattering b.c I think that anyone that has watched Cumberland realizes what his strengths and weaknesses are.

It will be interesting to see how our TEs do. TBH I am not expecting much. There were plenty of us that would have been happy to see Eifert picked so it will be interesting to see how he plays too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This guy:

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

It confuses me that so many people were down on Keller, but in Cumberland you have a guy who is a lesser player in every single category by which a TE can be graded. And the thought from some is that he's going to break out this year.

Letting Keller walk was probably the only decision Idzik made this offseason that I personally took issue with - the TE has to be a reliable safety valve for an average (or rookie) QB, and I don't think Cumberland brings that to the table.

Feels like I have to hope Hayden Smith pulls a poor-man's Antonio Gates and bursts on the scene - I know it's only been one year, but IMO everything about Cumberland says career backup. Would of course love to be wrong.
    keller as a player was above avg but just couldnt stay on the filed so he was basically useless last year. if you dont agree i can only recall one big catch that he got hurt on and the rest of the year was a wash out i recall hayden smiths catch against the chargers i hope he suprises big time

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post

That's because he's not really a TE. He's a hybrid. It's up to the OC to utilize him properly. He can be a legitimate weapon with that speed and size. But trying to make him a starting TE is pretty dumb.