Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OTA News from today - 06/05/13

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Austin wasn't available at 9 so we went for BPA. You don't build great teams by passing up better players just because you want guys on O
    You're bringing up one 1st round pick, we keep loading up on defensive linemen and cornerbacks seemingly every year. It's 2013, time to start looking at how we can support our QB's with elite players, and in the process score more points. BPA has it's limitations.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You're bringing up one 1st round pick, we keep loading up on defensive linemen and cornerbacks seemingly every year. It's 2013, time to start looking at how we can support our QB's with elite players, and in the process score more points. BPA has it's limitations.
    We DID need help on the D.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    We DID need help on the D.
    And we've needed help on O ever since Rex Ryan arrived. When the last time we had a top 10 offense?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    And we've needed help on O ever since Rex Ryan arrived. When the last time we had a top 10 offense?
    The next time we have a top 10 QB

Until then, our bread and butter is defense.....the recipe we have almost got us to 2 SB's

Win ugly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's think that through.

2012: After the Jets took Coples, the next skill position player taken was Kendall Wright at 20 followed by AJ Jenkins at 30. Wright's a decent player but no game breaker, and Jenkins had all of zero catches his rookie year. Doug Martin would have been a good pick, but a tremendous reach in the middle of the first round, especially for a team still looking to see what it had in Greene. Then the Jets move up in Rd 2 to draft a 6-4 WR with sub 4.4 speed.

2011: After the Jets take Wilkerson, the next non-QB skill position players taken (remember, at the time the Jets were coming off back to back AFC championship appearances so QB wasn't an option) are Ryan Williams (bust), Kyle Rudolph (good TE but not an elite player), Titus Young . . .

2010: After the Jets take Wilson, the next skill position players taken are Jahvid Best, Dexter McCluster, Arrelious Benn, Gronkowski and Toby Gerhart. There's only one elite player in there, he's an injury risk, and he plays the same position as Keller, who we drafted in the first round just a year earlier.

Go back and look at those drafts. Realistically speaking, and without the benefit of hindsight, who were the offensive players you wanted to draft in those spots?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post
    Considering we gave up our 5th and 7th round picks to get him he's been a disappointment so far IMO. I wonder what players might be on the team if Tanny stood pat in 2012. Idzig landed Oday Aboushi and Tommy Bohanon respectively. I hope I never again see the day that this team moves up for a player in the draft. I'm not suggesting that Hill won't work out. I'm just saying less is never more in my book.
    Check out the list of immortals taken after those picks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NFL_Draft

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    We did have the #1 run game for 09 and #4 in '10

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

2012: After the Jets took Coples, the next skill position player taken was Kendall Wright at 20 followed by AJ Jenkins at 30. Wright's a decent player but no game breaker, and Jenkins had all of zero catches his rookie year. Doug Martin would have been a good pick, but a tremendous reach in the middle of the first round, especially for a team still looking to see what it had in Greene. Then the Jets move up in Rd 2 to draft a 6-4 WR with sub 4.4 speed.

2011: After the Jets take Wilkerson, the next non-QB skill position players taken (remember, at the time the Jets were coming off back to back AFC championship appearances so QB wasn't an option) are Ryan Williams (bust), Kyle Rudolph (good TE but not an elite player), Titus Young . . .

2010: After the Jets take Wilson, the next skill position players taken are Jahvid Best, Dexter McCluster, Arrelious Benn, Gronkowski and Toby Gerhart. There's only one elite player in there, he's an injury risk, and he plays the same position as Keller, who we drafted in the first round just a year earlier.

Go back and look at those drafts. Realistically speaking, and without the benefit of hindsight, who were the offensive players you wanted to draft in those spots?
    Great post

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

+1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent post.

Moving up for hill, a 6'4 WR who runs a 4.4 40 is the definition of taking an offensive playmaker. We just need to give him 1-2 seasons - you cant find AJ Greene in the 2nd round, and development is the price we have to pay.

We also should get some credit for Kerley who will be considered a true game breaker the second we get a QB who isnt atrocious.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since Rex took over the Jets have spent a

1st round pick - QB - Mark Sanchez

2nd rd pick - WR - Stephen Hill

3rd round pick - RB - Shonne Greene

Traded for WR Santonio Holmes and RB Chris Ivory.

But Rex and the Jets refuses to take care of the offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted Decastro last year, Warmack and Eifert this year. Years prior to that I don't recall and I'm honestly not a huge draftnik. I've been beating the drum of the Jets making it a priority to surround the QB with talent for years, I just don't agree with how they're building the team. Nothing wrong with going with best available offensive player, especially with Rex here
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 06-05-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wanted Decastro last year, Warmack and Eifert this year. Years prior to that I don't recall and I'm honestly not a huge draftnik. I've been beating the drum of the Jets making it a priority to surround the QB with talent for years, I just don't agree with how they're building the team. Nothing wrong with going with best available offensive player, especially with Rex here
    They drafted a player n Winters who a many dratniks think will be a steal and is a poor-man's Decastro. Adding him with Milliner, Richardson, and Smith is a nice top 4 in this year's draft. Smith was supposed to go in the top 15 for a couple of months. I don't get the criticism of the recent drafts as doggin highlights.

There is no question the Jets wanted Austin at 9, so they would have gone offense first.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post... How's Justin Blackmon doing?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    there's plenty wrong with going for best available offensive player if you're passing up defensive players that you have rated higher... it's easy to forget that we lost 7 starters on defense this year, and I wouldn't consider OG and TE necessarily skill positions either

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Cotchery was a 4th rounded with little speed.

Hill is a 2nd round pick with elite speed.

But you are right, 50 catches would be great in year 2 considering.
    Way to set the bar high. What is that , like 3 catches a game?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think most wanted offense. I was upset as well, initially. But looking back they probably did the right thing for our team. If Richardaon and Milliner turn out to be studs ( there will be growing pains) then all praise goes to Idzik for not panicking

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also the Ivory, and hopefully Goodson, moves were solid pickups. We needed offense to produce right away and both these guys can help. They are young, but at the same time over their growing pains.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post

Way to set the bar high. What is that , like 3 catches a game?
    You don't see that as a marked improvement for a guy who barely averaged 1 catch a game?

Demaryius Thomas will be the best comparison for Hill until it no longer applies. Thomas had 22 catches in year one, 32 in year two...and 94 last year.

Personally, I think 3 catches a game IS setting the bar high for Hill. But I also think it's doable and hope he gets there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    DeCastro, Warmack and Eifert are not "surrounding your QB with elite talent". Warmack and DeCastro might be elite guards in the long term, but elite guards don't make an offensive juggernaut. And I don't see Eifert as a top tier TE. They certainly aren't significant enough to warrant drafting ahead of significantly higher rated defensive players at positions of need (Coples, Miliner, Richardson with Coples' move to Rush)