Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sporting News off season grades fair or foul?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Sporting News off season grades fair or foul?

Off season grades by the Sporting News. Jets got a 'D'. Fair or unfair?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...s-jets-cowboys

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well at first I thought it was fair considering we got rid of Revis and didn't make any big free agent moves, but then I saw that somehow adding Manti Teo was the basis for a B grade for the Chargers, WTF????

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 20andout View Post
    Well at first I thought it was fair considering we got rid of Revis and didn't make any big free agent moves, but then I saw that somehow adding Manti Teo was the basis for a B grade for the Chargers, WTF????
    And the raiders get a C give me a break

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that qualifies as a "terrible" article.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Media types who don't know better go off of the last article written, reported or purported. The Jets' reputation as a team is going down, according to the media. They didn't add any big time players, even in the draft - drafting a QB in Geno Smith is a disaster, but seconds before he was selected GS was the best QB in the draft.

Is a "D" close? If we're going to go off of fixing the team based on need, the Jets added 6 new offensive linemen to the team. If that doesn't scream upgrade, then what does? You can't fix everything in one year.

You can't win with the media. Might as well disband the team and forfeit the season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even mind the D-grade. I don't agree, but I can at least understand the thinking since the Jets traded away the best CB in the league and didn't bring in a single known commodity.

What I mind is that they are basically saying the Jets had the worst offseason of any team in the league. How can they read their own write-up of the Cowboys and give that team a C?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll give the writer this much...this is the first write-up on the Jets' offseason that didn't include the word 'circus.' It's a step in the right direction.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it is fair. Obviously we didnt have money to spend. We traded our "best player" and lost a lot of vet leadership. Overall though we had a good draft made the best of FA and got rid of a ton of useless talent. This was more of an addition by subtraction year for this team. We improved if you look at overall talent IMO but on paper we did get worse.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't give a F anymore. Either play well and win or suck and lose. We'll find out which soon enough

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are 1 of 2 teams with a D?? considering the QB retired. I'd say C- I thought our first 4 picks were very good. And we got a true back up to push mark. Something everyone said was needed. Without having 6 1st rd picks and taking our cap situation into account I can't see how we could really be doing much better.

Cincinnati is doing a hell of a job building a team over the last 3 years. Loved their last couple drafts.

Sorry for being OT but cincy has really been standing out to me since the draft.
    Last edited by SgtAshton; 06-06-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtAshton View Post
    We are 1 of 2 teams with a D?? considering the QB retired. I'd say C- I thought our first 4 picks were very good. And we got a true back up to push mark. Something everyone said was needed. Without having 6 1st rd picks and taking our cap situation into account I can't see how we could really be doing much better.

Cincinnati is doing a hell of a job building a team over the last 3 years. Loved their last couple drafts.

Sorry for being OT but cincy has really been standing out to me since the draft.
    What are you kidding? We drafted his replacement, not a player to push Mark.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sports writers were the last kids picked when they played games in a school physical education class. They go anywhere the food and drink is free and their thanks is to often reward you with sarcasm.
    I don't pay much attention to anything they grade; if I even read it at all.
    I think the fans have a pretty good idea all on their own how the franchise is performing without having to see what a second class journalist has to say about the subject.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Expectations weren't high before the off-season. Everyone knew the guaranteed contracts, poor QB play and injuries / high salary expectations and front office screw-ups had to be dealt with. So.............

Hey Vinnie, your giving grades....what great ideas did you have that would have brought this to a "B"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    no decent WR's, TE's, RB's and/or Safeties.....D sounds about right...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, the media is pissed because the info faucet has been shut off.

2nd, I hope the negativity keeps coming. The worse people think we are the sweeter it will be when we win 10 games during a "rebuild" year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    And the raiders get a C give me a break
    Should Be B + and than they would be right.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Should Be A++++++++ and than they would be right.
    Fixed. Most explosive offseason evar!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Fixed. Most explosive offseason evar!!!!!!!!!!!
    Compare to the Jets offseason it might be A+++++++++ but in reality it a B + offseason. Still a great job by Reggie Mckenzie this offseason.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Compare to the Jets offseason it might be A+++++++++ but in reality it a B + offseason. Still a great job by Reggie Mckenzie this offseason.
    Greatest bestest job ever by this year's greatest bestest most explosivist GM and FO. AND next year after our two win season when our bestest wiggiest retarded owner fires them all our new GM aka sacrificial lamb will again have another A+++++++ bestest, most explosivist offseason

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We pretty much used the draft to
    Improve the team . That grade seems fair to me since we have no clue how these dudes will pan out