Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sporting News off season grades fair or foul?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Idzik went with BPA throughout the draft. That's good for any team from a long term perspective. But it doesn't always hold up to draftniks scrutiny.

But does it matter?

You have to do what is right for your football team. I believe Idzik did that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This offseason we took on the ugly task of clearing out a lot of the garbage from the previous regime and starting to lay the foundations for the future. Credit to Idzik and co for not shying away from that task and accepting this is a big turnaround.

You change a team as much as we did, it's always going to look and feel like a bad thing. The important bit now is that we build properly on the foundation that we have left, and finish the clear out as soon as possible (Sanchez, Holmes & Harris all have contracts well beyond their current performance).

If the assembled team looks like a promising work in progress come Sept, then the off season has been good, better than a D. If it comes out disorganised, sloppy and unmotivated, then a D is generous.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Idzik went with BPA throughout the draft. That's good for any team from a long term perspective. But it doesn't always hold up to draftniks scrutiny.

But does it matter?

You have to do what is right for your football team. I believe Idzik did that.
    I think Idzik thinks the same thing. I doubt he's home crying over the article or grade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Should Be B + and than they would be right.
    lol, have fun winning 6 games or less...AGAIN!

The Raiders have been bar none to most inept NFL team over the past 10 years, and it is still the same story from you.

Edit: Just did a quick check... 49-111 over the last 10 years for a winning percentage of 30.6% LMAO
    Last edited by Ruby2; 06-07-2013 at 08:57 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Off season grades by the Sporting News. Jets got a 'D'. Fair or unfair?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...s-jets-cowboys
    You should get a D for reading it.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    I'll give the writer this much...this is the first write-up on the Jets' offseason that didn't include the word 'circus.' It's a step in the right direction.

You have to post more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Greatest bestest job ever by this year's greatest bestest most explosivist GM and FO. AND next year after our two win season when our bestest wiggiest retarded owner fires them all our new GM aka sacrificial lamb will again have another A+++++++ bestest, most explosivist offseason
    I fully expected Al Davis to burst through the doors, zombie-walk up to the podium, wrest the card from the GM, and take Tayvon Austin at 3. Have to say I was kind of disappointed it didn't go that way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    lol, have fun winning 6 games or less...AGAIN!

The Raiders have been bar none to most inept NFL team over the past 10 years, and it is still the same story from you.

Edit: Just did a quick check... 49-111 over the last 10 years for a winning percentage of 30.6% LMAO
    Having a good off season doesnt always mean short term wins. Oakland lost most of their better players this off season but found long term answers at DB, improved the OL, and opened up like 60-80 mil in cap space next year. Which is something they really needed to do. Unless Wilson is balls out good his 1st year they will be weaker on O and the D will likely struggle more as well with so many changes. After that I think it all depends on how you evaluate some of that change over as they had a lot more then any team.

Palmer(washed up) < Flynn(trash) + Tyler Wilson(hope?) + a 7th next year
    Goodson > Jennings
    Bey(best starter they had) > Cribbs (ST guy)
    Brandon Myers > Kasa+comp pick
    Wheeler(good player) < Burnett(still viable)+Sio Moore+comp pick maybe a 3rd
    McClain(prison?) < Kaluka Maiava
    Matt Shaughnessy > Jason Hunter? (Maybe setting up for Clowney next year)
    Huff < Woodson+comp pick
    Richard Seymour < Vance Walker
    Desmond Bryant < Pat Simms + comp pick
    Shane Lechler < Chris Kluwe + comp pick
    Again OL and DBs all better or equal to last year across the board.

They made a huge leap in the right direction and should have like 10-13 picks in next years draft to build. If they play their cards right next year this off season could have netted them 6 picks in the top 3 rounds (maybe the #1) to go with that 60 mil in cap they freed up. Your talking a good set up for a 2 year rebuild.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Having a good off season doesnt always mean short term wins. Oakland lost most of their better players this off season but found long term answers at DB, improved the OL, and opened up like 60-80 mil in cap space next year. Which is something they really needed to do. Unless Wilson is balls out good his 1st year they will be weaker on O and the D will likely struggle more as well with so many changes. After that I think it all depends on how you evaluate some of that change over as they had a lot more then any team.

Palmer(washed up) < Flynn(trash) + Tyler Wilson(hope?) + a 7th next year
    Goodson > Jennings
    Bey(best starter they had) > Cribbs (ST guy)
    Brandon Myers > Kasa+comp pick
    Wheeler(good player) < Burnett(still viable)+Sio Moore+comp pick maybe a 3rd
    McClain(prison?) < Kaluka Maiava
    Matt Shaughnessy > Jason Hunter? (Maybe setting up for Clowney next year)
    Huff < Woodson+comp pick
    Richard Seymour < Vance Walker
    Desmond Bryant < Pat Simms + comp pick
    Shane Lechler < Chris Kluwe + comp pick
    Again OL and DBs all better or equal to last year across the board.

They made a huge leap in the right direction and should have like 10-13 picks in next years draft to build. If they play their cards right next year this off season could have netted them 6 picks in the top 3 rounds (maybe the #1) to go with that 60 mil in cap they freed up. Your talking a good set up for a 2 year rebuild.
    Are you saying Kluwe + a comp pick is better than Lechler? Maybe something changed last season that I missed but that just sounds wrong.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Should Be B + and than they would be right.
    The gap is closing.

Soon the Raiders will be able to beat top notch college teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    The gap is closing.

Soon the Raiders will be able to beat top notch college teams.
    Tell me you wouldn't have loved to see Crimson Tide vs. Raiders last season.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Might have ended even worse than it did for ND.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    You're saying start McElroy v Oakland?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You're saying start McElroy v Oakland?
    Um no. I'm definitely not saying that unless my post got stuck in a queue for the last 3 years

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying Kluwe + a comp pick is better than Lechler? Maybe something changed last season that I missed but that just sounds wrong.
    It is a punter. Kluwe is a good punter and if they even get a 6th rounder you can draft a good punter. Any comp pick is money for a 36 year old player.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    It is a punter. Kluwe is a good punter and if they even get a 6th rounder you can draft a good punter. Any comp pick is money for a 36 year old player.
    Disagree.

On a bad team (like the Raiders...there I said it) a great punter can make a significant impact. Lechler was probably a top-5 punter of all-time, maybe top-2. He probably accounted for 20-40 yards of field position per game over the next best guy out there. No way would I not trade whoever our punter is and a 6th rounder for Lechler, at least the way he was back in 2011 and maybe last year. Not sure if he's visibly declining yet.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rajensen088 View Post
    Off season grades by the Sporting News. Jets got a 'D'. Fair or unfair?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...s-jets-cowboys
    Seems like a pretty biased rating to me when you consider they didn't even mention either one of our first round picks - which were arguably the 2 best defensive players in the draft nor any of the other free agent moves the Jets made.

Its hard to grade anything without seeing the team on the field playing an actual game, but, if you are going to go just by what the Jets did on paper, I think they deserve a 'B' considering the state that the team was in when Idzik got here and the difficult decisions he had to make.

The Jets getting a 'D' is just typical media prejudice. And FYI - for what it's worth, I used to read the sporting news quite a bit and they have always ripped the Jets apart, even when it wasn't warranted - just like ESPN. That's pretty much why I don't read their paper anymore, they have never been very objective with their coverage of the Jets.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-09-2013 at 05:41 PM.