Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loans... Can the Pubs be This Stupid?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Accreditation is BROAD. For FED loan purposes, the fed.

For program purposes, their are differing groups,(nursing etc...)

In business....to have a business program accredited, the AACSBA is the BIG and ONLY true accreditation. I taught at XXXXX university, a fully accredited University and was very impressed at how much goes into keeping the AACSBA accreditation. They do a great job with the kids IMO.

Schools without AACSBA use regional boards like the southpark-Leprichan consortium assocaiation.

http://www.bestbizschools.com/
    The federal government does not accredit any schools of "higher education." I think what you are saying is the fed relies on voluntary, not for profit accreditors to determine loan ellgibility. There's a four/three rule also which requires that for a loan to be given for a specific school where accreditation is absent or dubious, credits on transfer would have to be accepted by three out of four accredited institutions.

I really wish the states or federal government WOULD accredit schools. What we have now is phony private model that means almost nothing.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Respectfully, your experience as a single consumer of education on the front (paying) end is purely anecdotal and informed only by your own personal, limited, consumer-side experience.

Some people actually see the back end accounting of these things, and will know better.

Take it how you will. But your "expertise" is akin to a single consumer of electricity claiming expert status on how a Nuclear Reactor works and how they manage their books.
    Paging professionals in the education industry!

Crickets........................

Okay, thread over. We are not qualified to discuss. Frankly, that's true for every thread!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    The federal government does not accredit any schools of "higher education." I think what you are saying is the fed relies on voluntary, not for profit accreditors to determine loan ellgibility. There's a four/three rule also which requires that for a loan to be given for a specific school where accreditation is absent or dubious, credits on transfer would have to be accepted by three out of four accredited institutions.

I really wish the states or federal government WOULD accredit schools. What we have now is phony private model that means almost nothing.
    I don't think that's right. There is a publication put out by the FED of all schools eligible for federal loans. The list is quite broad. If you google it, it will come up. The FED does in fact say if a school qualifies for its students to get aid. Ill look at it later.

Your point about govt accrediting schools? Haven't they shown themselves unable to do anything in this area? There existence here is the problem. Since the inception of the dept of education...what has happened?

We would soon have a new 5,000 employee agency with full pensions and benefits running for the door at 5pm. Don't we have enough of that?

Respectfully, your experience as a single consumer of education on the front (paying) end is purely anecdotal and informed only by your own personal, limited, consumer-side experience.

Some people actually see the back end accounting of these things, and will know better.

Take it how you will. But your "expertise" is akin to a single consumer of electricity claiming expert status on how a Nuclear Reactor works and how they manage their books.
    And you would be the guys with no electricity in his shack?

Respectfully, I have more experience on this other than the consumer end. If you want to point out where Im wrong rather than cite what you think is my experience, that would be more constructive than the insult.

All Pro
    I don't think that's right. There is a publication put out by the FED of all schools eligible for federal loans. The list is quite broad. If you google it, it will come up. The FED does in fact say if a school qualifies for its students to get aid. Ill look at it later.

Your point about govt accrediting schools? Haven't they shown themselves unable to do anything in this area? There existence here is the problem. Since the inception of the dept of education...what has happened?

We would soon have a new 5,000 employee agency with full pensions and benefits running for the door at 5pm. Don't we have enough of that?
    Yes, the fed relies on external accreditors. It doesn't do the accrediting itself. Yup, I DO want a federal agency to handle accreditation. You think the current NFP's run any more efficiently? I very much doubt it.

endowments, nope no problem here
    Harvard University (MA) $32,012,729,000 1, National Universities
    Yale University (CT) $19,174,387,000 3, National Universities
    Princeton University (NJ) $17,162,603,000 1, National Universities
    Stanford University (CA) $16,502,606,000 6, National Universities
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology $9,712,628,000 6, National Universities
    Columbia University (NY) $7,789,578,000 4, National Universities
    University of Michigan—Ann Arbor $7,725,307,000 29, National Universities
    University of Pennsylvania $6,582,030,000 8, National Universities
    University of Notre Dame (IN) $6,383,344,000 17, National Universities
    Duke University (NC) $5,747,377,000 8, National Universities

How about charging interest rates based on the course of study, something like a history major should pay a higher rate based on the chance of finding a job paying enough to pay back the loan. BTW the U of Mn offers a course in Female studies and you would be shocked in how many nitwits take the course.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by acepepe View Post
    endowments, nope no problem here
    Harvard University (MA) $32,012,729,000 1, National Universities
    Yale University (CT) $19,174,387,000 3, National Universities
    Princeton University (NJ) $17,162,603,000 1, National Universities
    Stanford University (CA) $16,502,606,000 6, National Universities
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology $9,712,628,000 6, National Universities
    Columbia University (NY) $7,789,578,000 4, National Universities
    University of Michigan—Ann Arbor $7,725,307,000 29, National Universities
    University of Pennsylvania $6,582,030,000 8, National Universities
    University of Notre Dame (IN) $6,383,344,000 17, National Universities
    Duke University (NC) $5,747,377,000 8, National Universities
    This deserves its own thread. Universities should be required to spend 4 percent of their endowment every year, like an IRA required distribution.

Its criminal.

This deserves its own thread. Universities should be required to spend 4 percent of their endowment every year, like an IRA required distribution.

Its criminal.
    I'd expect a CPA to have a better understanding of how endowments work tbqh.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd expect a CPA to have a better understanding of how endowments work tbqh.
    I forgot you are an expert...yet I am the guy currently putting together an endowed scholarship.

You really need to work on your civility. THS post and the one to FF2 were not called for. if you think I don't know about endowment you are WRONG.

I am an expert. TRUST ME here.

I forgot you are an expert...yet I am the guy currently putting together an endowed scholarship.

You really need to work on your civility. THS post and the one to FF2 were not called for. if you think I don't know about endowment you are WRONG.

I am an expert. TRUST ME here.
    If you're suggesting that a University (public or private/NfP) should/could simply at-will spend/divest part of an Endowment granted to it, i.e. typically a Restricted Asset, I can only suggest you brush up on your GASB/FASB. Worse that you think the Government should FORCE them to do so.

As for all the whining about "civility", in THIS place and with this cast of characters, give it a rest. Damn little civility gets extended my way, I'll be ****ed if I'll be the nice guy any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    How about charging interest rates based on the course of study, something like a history major should pay a higher rate based on the chance of finding a job paying enough to pay back the loan. BTW the U of Mn offers a course in Female studies and you would be shocked in how many nitwits take the course.
    That will never happen. The education bubble is already bursting. Nobody cares about the education you have a degree from State U is the same as some private college with 4X the price.

Jets Insider VIP
    If you're suggesting that a University (public or private/NfP) should/could simply at-will spend/divest part of an Endowment granted to it, i.e. typically a Restricted Asset, I can only suggest you brush up on your GASB/FASB. Worse that you think the Government should FORCE them to do so.

As for all the whining about "civility", in THIS place and with this cast of characters, give it a rest. Damn little civility gets extended my way, I'll be ****ed if I'll be the nice guy any longer.
    If the US Govt can mandate a retired person MUST withdraw from his IRA I see no real distinction that an endowment have a similar minimum withdrawal rate.

I Have forgotten more about the GASB than you will learn in a lifetime.

I would never talk like that to someone except your anger in life is seemingly coming through in your posts.

I hope you find some peace.

I Have forgotten more about the GASB than you will learn in a lifetime.
    Now who is making assumptions? Just because we don't all feel the need to advertise in our user name our resume of education and experience, doesn't mean some of us may not also be professional subject matter experts in some areas. You have no idea who or what I am, for example. I could be a 40 year veteran federal government CPA myself....or just some sclhub pretenting to be who just took a Gov. & Not For Profit Accounting Class to fill an elective whilst persuing a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving (On full Federal Grant of course).

Put simply, you have no idea.

Since you've stated previously your a strictly private sector accountant, I would also think you'd say you forgot more about FASB than I'll ever know, given you're not, in fact, a Government accountant......are you? It would certainly be an interesting twist on your commonplace ranting about Government if you yourself were a Government accountant regularly working under GASB rules, wouldn't it?

I would never talk like that to someone except your anger in life is seemingly coming through in your posts.

I hope you find some peace.
    Let me be clear here, I don't care in any way how you think I "should" post. I don't need any wishes of peace from you, I assure you. If you want to attack me personally, fine, but it's off topic and uninteresting. The kind of deflective fluff FF and his ilk usually go for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Now who is making assumptions? Just because we don't all feel the need to advertise in our user name our resume of education and experience, doesn't mean some of us may not also be professional subject matter experts in some areas. You have no idea who or what I am, for example. I could be a 40 year veteran federal government CPA myself....or just some sclhub pretenting to be who just took a Gov. & Not For Profit Accounting Class to fill an elective whilst persuing a degree in Underwater Basket Weaving (On full Federal Grant of course).

Since you've stated previously your a strictly private sector accountant, I would also think you'd say you forgot more about FASB than I'll ever know, given you're not, in fact, a Government accountant......are you? It would certainly be an interesting twist on your commonplace ranting about Government if you yourself were a Government accountant regularly working under GASB rules, wouldn't it?

Let me be clear here, I don't care in any way how you think I "should" post. I don't need any wishes of peace from you, I assure you. If you want to attack me personally, fine, but it's off topic and uninteresting. The kind of deflective fluff FF and his ilk usually go for.
    I'll leave it alone......

All Pro

Just curious, what is your profession/area of work? I would have guessed navigation officer on a Klingon vessel, but now I'm thinking that could be too soft.

Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Just curious, what is your profession/area of work? I would have guessed navigation officer on a Klingon vessel, but now I'm thinking that could be too soft.
    He's not a doctor, he admitted that in the obesity thread.

I'll be ****ed if I'll be the nice guy any longer.
    Any longer?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Any longer?
    enough.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    enough.
    I know, I know....I'm just kiddin withe big guy.

(Was that a non mod warning?)