Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Student Loans... Can the Pubs be This Stupid?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Couldn't keep me on ignore huh?

You are wrong.

The difference between the Expected Family Contributions and the full tuition price is most often made up by a number of different sources. In my family's case the vast majority of it was grants and merit-aid scholarship provided by the University, not the Feds. Very small unsubsidized Federal loans were also offered, but not accepted.

The school does NOT get full sticker price.
    Correct. In fact...small private schools are NOTORIOUS for offering 5K to 10K scholarships to lure a kid in. The parents, uneducated in some cases in this arena BRAG about their kids scholarship.

Instead of paying 45K they pay 40K or 35K. State school was still the better choice than a loan IMO in almost all cases.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Who accredits places like Stayer or Phoenix? That's the crux of the issue. Loans should be tied to accreditation. That means your state government should be a bit more careful. But we all know state governments are just as corrupt if not more so than the feds. Money talks.
    Accreditation is BROAD. For FED loan purposes, the fed.

For program purposes, their are differing groups,(nursing etc...)

In business....to have a business program accredited, the AACSBA is the BIG and ONLY true accreditation. I taught at XXXXX university, a fully accredited University and was very impressed at how much goes into keeping the AACSBA accreditation. They do a great job with the kids IMO.

Schools without AACSBA use regional boards like the southpark-Leprichan consortium assocaiation.

http://www.bestbizschools.com/
    Last edited by southparkcpa; 06-18-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who makes the most profit from the process of student loans being given out?

The student?

The government?

The bank?

The college?

Follow the money, dummies.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Who makes the most profit from the process of student loans being given out?

The student?

The government?

The bank?

The college?

Follow the money, dummies.
    We ALL agree...the $hitty colleges that MUST have loans or students wont go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who took the loans out, the parents and students. Who chose to go college the student and he or she picked their course of study. The student is responsible not me or anyone else. Ding college is not an entitlement it is YOUR responsibility. Wake up.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    News Flash. Only 50% of students complete 2 and 4 year college in 6 years. But they get to be saddled with high debt to feed profit margins for the banks. Yeah, that's brilliant. So your idea is that we should have more people in credit hell in their attempt to improve their lives, not to mention actually provide skills needed by companies. Dumb and dumber.
    So it is the schools fault if the parents dont do their checking before they sign up for classes. Reality check!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    You might wish to get educated regarding how public institutions....
    thanks but I know quite a lot.

I was talking about private institutions. Which on average get only get about 6 percent of their operating costs from federal money.

Sorry you had to do all that typing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks but I know quite a lot.
    I doubt that.

I was talking about private institutions. Which on average get only get about 6 percent of their operating costs from federal money.
    Look ma, I can has Google.

Sorry you had to do all that typing.
    My mistake.

Should have known treating you as anything other than a joke would be a waste of time and effort.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that.

My mistake.

Should have known treating you as anything other than a joke would be a waste of time and effort.
    Sorry you can't discuss facts.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    I know of kids who couldn't make it in one of the huge state schools, I know I didn't want to go to a college where I was one of 300 per class. Private colleges offer smaller class sizes.
    True. And if you think that taking out a loan for an extra 40-60K is worth it to get small class sizes, great. But do it at market rates.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    True. And if you think that taking out a loan for an extra 40-60K is worth it to get small class sizes, great. But do it at market rates.
    I went to a small private college and I received a lot of aid through playing hoops.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that.

My mistake.

Why go there?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I would add..find a bank that will do it without a guarantee or better yet get a co-signer.

Think about it..the government has to guarantee a loan so little johnny or susie can go to St.Mary's college of Dowling College and have 80K of debt.

Utterly ridiculous.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you can't discuss facts.
    And I'm sorry that any attempt to engage you in discoure only engenders the usual factually deficiant and dismissive one-liner replies.

A. Your initial "not pay sticker price" comment was specificly directed only at the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, a Federal Aid Program.

B. At no point did you specific your "not pay sticker price" argument was limited to "private" schools until after the fact, a claim that is also incorrect.

C. You claimed, incorrectly, that School grant aid is not Federal/State, when a large portion of it is, including at Private Schools, as outlined in my previous post the school only acts a conduit for the aid, from the Feds, through the School, to the Student. As such, it's not counted as "federal aid" to the school, despite the money coming from the Fed, and ending up with the school. A few private schools reject this kind of aid for their students, but not that many.

D. You maintain that the schools are engaging in widespread "not pay sticker price" practices, a claim unsupported by any facts thus far. The school in fact gets full "sticker price" in the vast majority of students cases, with only the source of who is paying varying (endowment income, federal/state grants, tuition, etc.)

I'm engaged enough on this topic to post more than a one-liner dismissal.

If you choose to remain at least partially ignorant on how this process works, so be it, but your claim of schools not collecting "full sticker price" is simply incorrect in the vast majority of instances.

Why go there?
    What difference does that make to you LiL?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Churchill;4913413]And I'm sorry that any attempt to engage you in discoure only engenders the usual factually deficiant and dismissive one-liner replies.

A. Your initial "not pay sticker price" comment was specificly directed only at the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, a Federal Aid Program.

B. At no point did you specific your "not pay sticker price" argument was limited to "private" schools until after the fact, a claim that is also incorrect.

C. You claimed, incorrectly, that School grant aid is not Federal/State, when a large portion of it is, including at Private Schools, as outlined in my previous post the school only acts a conduit for the aid, from the Feds, through the School, to the Student. As such, it's not counted as "federal aid" to the school, despite the money coming from the Fed, and ending up with the school. A few private schools reject this kind of aid for their students, but not that many.

D. You maintain that the schools are engaging in widespread "not pay sticker price" practices, a claim unsupported by any facts thus far. The school in fact gets full "sticker price" in the vast majority of students cases, with only the source of who is paying varying (endowment income, federal/state grants, tuition, etc.)

If you choose to remain at least partially ignorant on how this process works, so be it, but your claim of schools not collecting "full sticker price" is simply incorrect in the vast majority of instances.

What difference does that make to you LiL?[/QUOTE]

For a guy who starts threads because he's trying to enliven the forum, comments like this serve to kill it. Otherwise, I don't care personally.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I'm sorry that any attempt to engage you in discoure only engenders the usual factually deficiant and dismissive one-liner replies.

Respectfully,

A. No, it was not. I urged everyone to complete a FAFSA (Private schools look at the FAFSA to determine non-federal forms of aid). And I said hardly anyone pays sticker price. Two unrelated facts.

B. I had been talking about private schools the whole time. Maybe you missed a few of my posts because you put me on ignore.

C. You have no understanding of all the possible grants available from a school. I assume you have not gone through the college admissions process lately (if ever) like I have, so thats understandable. I get my from actually going through it. Schools award tons of grants that have nothing to do with Federal money.

D. Regardless of where the money come from...my assertion that very few PAY full price is true. I say this to help others looking at so-called college costs. Its important for families looking at schools to understand this.

I'm engaged enough on this topic also, having actually lived it.
    Last edited by FF2; 06-19-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    CAN'T we all just get along?????

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    CAN'T we all just get along?????
    Who said that anyway?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who said that anyway?
    It wasn't Winston Churchill.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Respectfully,

I'm engaged enough on this topic also, having actually lived it.
    Respectfully, your experience as a single consumer of education on the front (paying) end is purely anecdotal and informed only by your own personal, limited, consumer-side experience.

Some people actually see the back end accounting of these things, and will know better.

Take it how you will. But your "expertise" is akin to a single consumer of electricity claiming expert status on how a Nuclear Reactor works and how they manage their books.