Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Republicans Say Chris Christie Is Dead To Them After He Opts For Special Election

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Palmetto - SC and NJ have different laws. In NJ, the law requires that the Senate seat be up for election in the next general election after vacancy - which meant this November. The law itself was posted earlier in the thread.

I took that to mean the next general election for U.S. Senator. After all, Christie said the people were entitled to choose. I took that to mean he had a choice. Election in 2013 OR at the general in 2014.
    By his OWN words there seems to be some ambiguity.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    I took that to mean the next general election for U.S. Senator. After all, Christie said the people were entitled to choose. I took that to mean he had a choice. Election in 2013 OR at the general in 2014.
    By his OWN words there seems to be some ambiguity.
    Not really. The language of the statute seems pretty clear and there isn't much in the way of legal argument that he could have delayed to the later election.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not really. The language of the statute seems pretty clear and there isn't much in the way of legal argument that he could have delayed to the later election.
    I believe he had two options available:

-Name one to serve out the remainder of the term.

-Hold a Special Election earlier.

So yes, I believe he could have named one to serve the rest of the term, and the next election for that job would be 2014 I believe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I believe he had two options available:

-Name one to serve out the remainder of the term.

-Hold a Special Election earlier.

So yes, I believe he could have named one to serve the rest of the term, and the next election for that job would be 2014 I believe.

That's not what the statute says. It's fairly easy to prove that, if you pay attention to the interlocking provisions and what they would mean on the interpretation you're proffering.

Let's break it down:

"If a vacancy shall happen in the representation of this State in the United States senate, it shall be filled at the general election next succeeding the happening thereof,"
    Your interpretation would have this read "at the general election immediately preceding the end of the term" (i.e. if the term ran until 2016, then in the Nov. 2015 general election). If all that is saying is "the spot shall be filled by election as scheduled, what's the law adding?

More:

"unless such vacancy shall happen within 70 days next preceding such election, in which case it shall be filled by election at the second succeeding general election,"
    On your interpretation, if a senator dies (or is impeached, retires, etc.) within 70 days of the end of his term, the law postpones the election of his replacement until the election 6 years later (since the "second succeeding general election" would mean "the second succeeding election for senator"). That seems to be a clearly unreasonable reading of the law

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not what the statute says. It's fairly easy to prove that, if you pay attention to the interlocking provisions and what they would mean on the interpretation you're proffering.

Let's break it down:

"If a vacancy shall happen in the representation of this State in the United States senate, it shall be filled at the general election next succeeding the happening thereof,"
    Your interpretation would have this read "at the general election immediately preceding the end of the term" (i.e. if the term ran until 2016, then in the Nov. 2015 general election). If all that is saying is "the spot shall be filled by election as scheduled, what's the law adding?

More:

"unless such vacancy shall happen within 70 days next preceding such election, in which case it shall be filled by election at the second succeeding general election,"
    On your interpretation, if a senator dies (or is impeached, retires, etc.) within 70 days of the end of his term, the law postpones the election of his replacement until the election 6 years later (since the "second succeeding general election" would mean "the second succeeding election for senator"). That seems to be a clearly unreasonable reading of the law

Still not buying it, doggin. Why would Christie, a lawyer, think he had options? It was presented as " I will allow the people to decide". Meaning election now rather than at the end of Lautenberg's term in 2014.
    As you know language can have "interpretations". Hence a need for people such yourself. I still think he played it smart for his short term.
    dead meat for 2016. Rick Perry may resurrect BTW - heard him last night

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    Rick Perry may resurrect BTW - heard him last night
    Just what the GOP needs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's break it down:

More:

I don't agree with your reading of the statute, tbh. The statute is referring to the next General Election for that position specificly, not the next General Election for any position within the jurisdiction in question.

If we read it your way, the Governor would be required to hold the election in the next General Election for Newark City Dogcatcher if it came first.

Regardless, I've spent more time dicussing this guy that I prefer, and I loathe discussing of the various states various stupid ass ways of doing business. I don't really actually care one way or the other, so if I'm wrong I'm wrong. /out

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The horrors - he treated the President with respect and as if he enjoyed his company, and thanked him for helping his state.

When this is a deadly sin, it's no wonder Republicans lose elections
    Even by last October, Obuttocks had established his "my way or the highway", "people who disagree with me are the enemy" bull****. Christie knew this. Now after the IRS scandal, I don't think Christie's attitude has changed at all toward His Majesty. So **** him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Even by last October, Obuttocks had established his "my way or the highway", "people who disagree with me are the enemy" bull****. Christie knew this. Now after the IRS scandal, I don't think Christie's attitude has changed at all toward His Majesty. So **** him.
    And this is why the GOP cant win.

Run Rick Perry out there again. Yay.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    And this is why the GOP cant win.

Run Rick Perry out there again. Yay.

GOP lost bc they ran against Santa Claus twice.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rubio and Paul will be dead to me (politically) if they pass the Immigration Reform Bill.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Rubio and Paul will be dead to me (politically) if they pass the Immigration Reform Bill.
    As a registered pre-TP GOPer, I have to say the so-called TP senators were a huge joke yesterday. Their fiscal conservatism, respect for the rule of law and true fairness to American citizens and legal immigrants - where did it go? No enforcement of the border - pathetic

The odious, unctuous ethnic panderer Rubio we can somehow fathom.
    Rand Paul caring more about social libertarianism than fiscal conservatism we cannot.

The TP House guys have a chance to scuttle this - here's hoping they do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post
    As a registered pre-TP GOPer, I have to say the so-called TP senators were a huge joke yesterday. Their fiscal conservatism, respect for the rule of law and true fairness to American citizens and legal immigrants - where did it go? No enforcement of the border - pathetic

Rand Paul caring more about social libertarianism than fiscal conservatism we cannot.

they're all in panic mode since Dumass got re-elected, and trying to out-pander Dims. which everyone knows is impossible.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    they're all in panic mode since Dumass got re-elected, and trying to out-pander Dims. which everyone knows is impossible.

Maybe you guys can run Clapper. He seems your sort of hero.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    GOP lost bc they ran against Santa Claus twice.
    And they put up tweddle dumb and tweddle dumber.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Shift Jet View Post

Hilarious.

you guys just don't want the WH I guess.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Hilarious.

you guys just don't want to buy the WH I guess.
    Fixed.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Maybe you guys can run Clapper. He seems your sort of hero.

Clapper should be in jail for perjury. This moron was a three star general? How did that ever happen?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Fixed.
    LOL, Romney would of wrote a check......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    LOL, Romney would of wrote a check......
    LOL, Romney = rich guy who just writes checks

Party affiliation. Skin color. Easy-to-grasp-generalizations.

Campaign promises and issues don't even approach the importance of the three pillars above in terms of a candidate's electability. And that goes a long way in explaining the Obama administration's remarkable shortcomings.