Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 106

Thread: Republicans Say Chris Christie Is Dead To Them After He Opts For Special Election

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like

    Republicans Say Chris Christie Is Dead To Them After He Opts For Special Election

    http://www.politicususa.com/2013/06/...-election.html

    Republicans are livid at Gov. Chris Christie for opting to hold a special election instead of appointing a Republican to fill Frank Lautenberg’s Senate seat. GOPers are saying Christie is politically dead to them.

    The Republican reaction to Chris Christie decision to listen to the will of the people of his state was immediate outrage.

    Deadbeat dad, and former congressman, Joe Walsh tweeted:
    And Christie hands the seat to Cory Booker. Not surprised. #RINO
    The National Journal summed up the Republican reaction to Christie’s decision, “That did little to mollify Republicans with a stake in retaking the Senate next year. While none wanted to be quoted publicly, all dripped with disdain for Christie’s decision, calling it self-serving. And several pointed to the fact that holding an extra election one month earlier could cost the state about $25 million–a price tag that could dent his image as a fiscal hawk. ‘I think this ends his 2016 chances. It’s year after year with this guy,’ complained one senior Republican official.”

    Over at the Free Republic one exchange summed up how the rank and file seem to be taking the news that at least one Republican still believes in democracy (all names removed):

    Commenter # 1: I know Governor Christie. Nice guy. But if there was any thought of voting for him in 2016 after the media anoints him as Hillary’s opponent, that is now gone.

    I would sooner write in Lautenberg for President. Both are dead to me.

    Commenter # 2: You sir, are a liar. No acting governor would do something so contrary to their political parties best interest and the interest of the people who elected him. Your glossing over his betrayal by saying he is a “nice guy”, just gives cover to the support he has offered to the fraud in the White House.
    Republicans are outraged at Chris Christie because he decided that the people should have a voice in this decision. Christie said, “There’s no political purpose. The political purpose is to give the people a voice. The issues facing the United States Senate are too important not to have an elected representative making those decisions.”

    Sen. Lautenberg’s unfortunate passing put Gov. Christie in a difficult political position. If he appointed a Republican, he would have been ignoring the will of the voters in his state. He also would have unilaterally flipped a Senate seat. Neither of these outcomes are good for a guy with his eyes on 2016. If Christie would have decided to appoint a Democrat, he would have set the Democrats up to keep the seat in 2014. Christie’s decision was very political in the respect that he managed to keep Cory Booker off the November ballot by scheduling the special election for October.

    Christie is no saint here, but he did the right thing for himself and the people of his state. He is going to get to pad his victory margin in November without Booker on the ballot, and the people of New Jersey will get to choose their next senator.

    Christie may be dead to some in the Republican Party, but those same people have been calling him a RINO ever since he hugged Obama. Gov. Christie isn’t a liberal, or a RINO. He is just a Republican who is trying to stay in the center because he wants to run for president in 2016.

    However, there may not be any room in the GOP for a Republican like Christie. It seems that if you aren’t ignoring or stepping on the will of the people, you aren’t a real Republican.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Republicans Say Chris Christie Is Dead To Them After He Opts For Special Elec...

    He is getting criticized by both Dems and Reps for this decision. Libs claiming he is scared to go on a ticket the same day as Booker bc Booker will create a huge Dem turnout for Christie's opponent. So instead he will cost the taxpayers $12MM.

    Christie will never be President.

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Posts
    4,764
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    He is getting criticized by both Dems and Reps for this decision. Libs claiming he is scared to go on a ticket the same day as Booker bc Booker will create a huge Dem turnout for Christie's opponent. So instead he will cost the taxpayers $12MM.

    Christie will never be President.
    But he will be re-elected

    I heard it was $24Million

  4. #4
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    49,999
    Post Thanks / Like
    How dare he let the people pick their representative. Doesn't he get how politics work?

  5. #5
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    How dare he let the people pick their representative. Doesn't he get how politics work?
    The problem with what Christie decided to do is it's costing 12 million more because he didn't want to have the special election in November. It makes him appear he is trying to make sure he wins his re-election by a landslide. If it let the special election happen in November there wouldn't of been the extra millions spent.

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    A special election is the correct decision. IMO that should be the mandated law in such a case in every State. Political appointment by one man, a Governor, is not how your Senators or Congresspeople should be selected.

    As to the special election date, Christie claimed it was required by State law during his presser on it. If he's telling the truth, then the date issue (date selected vs. his own election day) is a non-issue, regardless of the extra costs involved. If he lying about the law, he should and will get called out for that.

    Onthis limited issue, I believe he made the correct call.

  7. #7
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post



    Christie will never be President.
    The way the GOP is now constituted, it is doubtful any R can get elected.

    15 percent evangelical nutjobs
    15 percent teabagger nutjobs
    15 percent old white men who hate minorities

    They won in the 80s when Reagan appealed to working people

    Thrown away now in exchange for massive campaign contributions from corporations

    45 percent ...does two things...selects unelectables in primaries and then watches them get unelected in General Elections.

    Christie could actually have won but he dared, in a crisis, to put the people of his states interest ahead of those of the 45 percent.

    Look for some Ted Cruz type to be nominated

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    A special election is the correct decision. IMO that should be the mandated law in such a case in every State. Political appointment by one man, a Governor, is not how your Senators or Congresspeople should be selected.

    As to the special election date, Christie claimed it was required by State law during his presser on it. If he's telling the truth, then the date issue (date selected vs. his own election day) is a non-issue, regardless of the extra costs involved. If he lying about the law, he should and will get called out for that.

    Onthis limited issue, I believe he made the correct call.
    Here's the law:

    19:3-26. If a vacancy shall happen in the representation of this State in the United States senate, it shall be filled at the general election next succeeding the happening thereof, unless such vacancy shall happen within 70 days next preceding such election, in which case it shall be filled by election at the second succeeding general election, unless the governor of this State shall deem it advisable to call a special election therefor, which he is authorized hereby to do.

    The governor of this State may make a temporary appointment of a senator of the United States from this State whenever a vacancy shall occur by reason of any cause other than the expiration of the term; and such appointee shall serve as such senator until a special election or general election shall have been held pursuant to law and the Board of State Canvassers can deliver to his successor a certificate of election.
    http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/19-elections/3-26.html

    Lautenberg died more that 70 days prior to the general election, so a replacement had to be elected either at that next general election (November) or a special election (Christie's choice).

    The "People should decide" line is BS, though; the extra month (October v. November) is not worth the cost of the special election.

    But any republicans who thought waiting a month would help beat Booker are also kidding themselves

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14,469
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, could we please ban whichever idiot told SG3 there's a politics forum? It isn't enough that we have to put up with his lame rants on the main forum?

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Here's the law:

    The "People should decide" line is BS, though; the extra month (October v. November) is not worth the cost of the special election.
    I'll have to defer to you on the Law. If it wasn't required, and could hav been held on the normal election day, then thats what he should have donend saved the taxpayer costs.

    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Also, could we please ban whichever idiot told SG3 there's a politics forum? It isn't enough that we have to put up with his lame rants on the main forum?
    This cannot be +1'd enough. Trolls have no plac in here, and subforum community-based bans should be permitted frankly.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    The whole attack line on Christie is now being pushed by the same clowns that supported Santorum in the 2012 primaries. This method has constantly been used by the right flank of the party to take down candidates or force them to phony up positions to appeal to primary voters. They did it to Romney and it bit him in the a$$. Now the flank that likes Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are out trying to discredit one the best guys the GOP has in its roster. Christie was right to give a big FU to those people. He reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in that he has appears unflappable. Money and/or threats from the right etc don't seem to bother him one bit.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    Here's the law:



    http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/19-elections/3-26.html

    Lautenberg died more that 70 days prior to the general election, so a replacement had to be elected either at that next general election (November) or a special election (Christie's choice).

    The "People should decide" line is BS, though; the extra month (October v. November) is not worth the cost of the special election.

    But any republicans who thought waiting a month would help beat Booker are also kidding themselves
    Booker was winning that seat in a landslide regardless of the timing. The windbags in the national conservative papers writing critical articles on this matter don't have a clue. Honestly Booker deserves the job. He is one of the best Democrats out there (there aren't many) and the biggest loss here is that Newark is losing a fantastic Mayor.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The whole attack line on Christie is now being pushed by the same clowns that supported Santorum in the 2012 primaries. This method has constantly been used by the right flank of the party to take down candidates or force them to phony up positions to appeal to primary voters. They did it to Romney and it bit him in the a$$. Now the flank that likes Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are out trying to discredit one the best guys the GOP has in its roster. Christie was right to give a big FU to those people. He reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in that he has appears unflappable. Money and/or threats from the right etc don't seem to bother him one bit.
    30 days is worth 12 million? Christie is wasting tax payer money, no?

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    30 days is worth 12 million? Christie is wasting tax payer money, no?
    Yes, If I had one complaint is the waste of the 12 mill. Still love Christie though and I still really like Booker as a Politician. I don't believe for a minute that the attack from the right on Christie has to do with that money however.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    The whole attack line on Christie is now being pushed by the same clowns that supported Santorum in the 2012 primaries. This method has constantly been used by the right flank of the party to take down candidates or force them to phony up positions to appeal to primary voters. They did it to Romney and it bit him in the a$$. Now the flank that likes Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are out trying to discredit one the best guys the GOP has in its roster. Christie was right to give a big FU to those people. He reminds me of Teddy Roosevelt in that he has appears unflappable. Money and/or threats from the right etc don't seem to bother him one bit.
    Shocking that the guy who loved N.E. Liberal-in-RINO-clothing Romney likes N.E. Liberal-in-RINO-clothing Christie.

    You will never win an election being a slightly-less-liberal liberal that the guy/gal you're running against.

    Christie vs. Clinton, the entire (R) base stays home, a tiny fraction of moderate-liberal independants get excited, Clinton wins in a massive landslide.

    If thats what you want, best of luck in 2020my die-hard Establishment Republican friend.
    Last edited by Churchill; 06-10-2013 at 10:31 AM.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Yes, If I had one complaint is the waste of the 12 mill. Still love Christie though and I still really like Booker as a Politician. I don't believe for a minute that the attack from the right on Christie has to do with that money however.
    Holy sh!t we are in agreement.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Shocking that the guy who loved N.E. Liberal-in-RINO-clothing Romney likes N.E. Liberal-in-RINO-clothing Christie.

    You will never win an election being a slightly-less-liberal liberal that the guy/gal you're running against.

    Christie vs. Clinton, the entire (R) base stays home, a tiny fraction of moderate-liberal independants get excited, Clinton wins in a massive landslide.

    If thats what you want, best of luck in 2020.
    So be it. I think Romney would have made a wonderful President. I think Christie would be the same. I also don't think at this moment that any of the GOP candidates will beat Hillary. I don't see Christie as a Rino or a Liberal. I also don't agree that anyone that isn't a staunch conservative on social issues is a RINO. I understand that some right wing think tanks and pundits push that line of reasoning I simply disagree. I still like Rubio and Cruz and those types but at this moment my personal choice as the politician best qualified for the job and most represents my views is Christie.

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    6,573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    Holy sh!t we are in agreement.
    Then you are correct on an issue for the first time

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I don't see Christie as a Rino or a Liberal. I also don't agree that anyone that isn't a staunch conservative on social issues is a RINO.
    It's not his position on "social issues" that make him a liberal.

    He simply IS a liberal.

    You backhendedly bemoan Cruz, but Cruz is 100 times the Conservative, on fiscal, governance and defense issues than Christie.

    Just be honest, you're a big government liberal Republican who likes guys who fit that bill, and you (like the dems) loathe anyone related to a Tea party/small limited Government position.

    And again, expalin how you think a moderate N.E. liberal (R) is ever going to beat any actual Liberal in a Presdential election. If you lose every time, it dosn;t matter how good you "could" be as President.

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    14,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a big Christie fan, but Cruz is an absolute joke. The guy hasn't done anything yet he's a hero to whom? Desperation makes Cruz relevant to certain groups only.

    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    It's not his position on "social issues" that make him a liberal.

    He simply IS a liberal.

    You bemoan Cruz, but Cruz is 100 times the Conservative, on fiscal, governance and defense issues than Christie.

    Just be honest, you're a big government liberal Republican who likes guys who fit that bill, and you (like the dems) loathe anyone related to a Tea party/small limited Government position.

    And again, expalin how you think a moderate N.E. liberal (R) is ever going to beat any actual Liberal in a Presdential election. If you lose every time, it dosn;t matter how good you "could" be as President.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us