Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cape Cod Trip

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    A few more tips....

Do something that most people don't and miss out. When you drive over the Sagamore Bridge to get onto the Cape, take the very first exit. Got to the end of the exit and take a right. That will get you onto Rte 6A where you'll drive through through the villages of Sandwich, then Barnstable, and finally Yarmouth. It only adds about 15 minutes to your trip but it's very quaint and scenic with many old Captains homes and nice views. Don't be afraid to take a few side trips to see the shore (all to the left as you drive toward Yarmouth). Especially nice is Keveny Lane in Yarmouthport. Trust me.

Hyannis Whale Watch cruises out of Barnstable harbor. Great thing to do if you've never done one. About 3 hours and $40 or so. You'll see tons of humpbacks this time of year, and it's a nice ride. There a smaller boat that does 2 hr. ecotours of the marsh for only $25. Bring a six pack of cans for the sunset cruise. really scenic on this side of the Cape.

Go to Chatham and sight see. Great downtown village. Awesome beaches and just a nice place to drive around. Some good restaurants (Chatham Squire for pub food, fried seafood, burgers and beer) or Impudent Oyster for fancier, yet casual fare. Both are better at lunch than dinner.

Cape Cod Baseball League starts this week. This is baseball as it should be. Free to watch top college prospects. Scenic old timey ballparks. Chatham, Orleans, and Cotuit are the best fields. Bring a blanket. $2 hot dogs and they pass the hat for donations mid game. There's tons to do. Free band concerts, scenic train rides, drive in movies, great beaches, just depends what you like.

I could go on and on. I love my little sandbar and I'm always sorry to hear when people visit and all they see is the congestion and honky-tonk that makes up most of the south side along Rte 28.

http://barnstableecotours.com/
    http://whales.net/
    http://www.capecodbaseball.org/
    http://www.capecodmusic.com/townband.html
    I would Carlton, but your gal would surely fall for me and dump you like moldy cheese. Then we'd be real enemies for life.

I have no problem giving my opinions and advice though, obviously.
    Hahaha. Thanks man. Incredibly helpful. I will definitely go for the longer drive as I plan to make a couple day trips anyway.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

A few more tips....

Do something that most people don't and miss out. When you drive over the Sagamore Bridge to get onto the Cape, take the very first exit. Got to the end of the exit and take a right. That will get you onto Rte 6A where you'll drive through through the villages of Sandwich, then Barnstable, and finally Yarmouth. It only adds about 15 minutes to your trip but it's very quaint and scenic with many old Captains homes and nice views. Don't be afraid to take a few side trips to see the shore (all to the left as you drive toward Yarmouth). Especially nice is Keveny Lane in Yarmouthport. Trust me.

Hyannis Whale Watch cruises out of Barnstable harbor. Great thing to do if you've never done one. About 3 hours and $40 or so. You'll see tons of humpbacks this time of year, and it's a nice ride. There a smaller boat that does 2 hr. ecotours of the marsh for only $25. Bring a six pack of cans for the sunset cruise. really scenic on this side of the Cape.

Go to Chatham and sight see. Great downtown village. Awesome beaches and just a nice place to drive around. Some good restaurants (Chatham Squire for pub food, fried seafood, burgers and beer) or Impudent Oyster for fancier, yet casual fare. Both are better at lunch than dinner.

Cape Cod Baseball League starts this week. This is baseball as it should be. Free to watch top college prospects. Scenic old timey ballparks. Chatham, Orleans, and Cotuit are the best fields. Bring a blanket. $2 hot dogs and they pass the hat for donations mid game. There's tons to do. Free band concerts, scenic train rides, drive in movies, great beaches, just depends what you like.

I could go on and on. I love my little sandbar and I'm always sorry to hear when people visit and all they see is the congestion and honky-tonk that makes up most of the south side along Rte 28.

http://barnstableecotours.com/
    http://whales.net/
    http://www.capecodbaseball.org/
    http://www.capecodmusic.com/townband.html
    +1 on all of this, right down to Chatham.

Proposed to my wife on the Cape, and it was the first trip we took with our new baby boy two years later. Capt. Gosnolds village which is long gone...

I would suggest the high speed Ferry$$ for any trips to Nantucket and Marthas Vinyard.....Do the Xmas tree festival on Nantucket in the winter if you can, too, though it gets crowded.

-

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Me you and Guido? Dinner like gentlemen?

I'm just not sure how to break that one to the 'ol ball and chain. "You see these guys I know online from the Jets site... no I've never met them... no actually well technically they are Patriots fans I guess. I know that's confusing. You know what just forget it."
    Guido could break the awkward silence with an impromptu marionette performance.

Jets Insider VIP
    Ignore the non-seafood eating broad and check out Twenty-Eight Atlantic at the Wequassett Resort in Harwich (near Chatham). Awesome food.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    Guido could break the awkward silence with an impromptu marionette performance.
    I forgot about that when I suggested the meeting.

Never mind the whole idea.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    I forgot about that when I suggested the meeting.

Never mind the whole idea.
    too late

foxy Czech marionette maker is putting the finishing touches on the new FF2 puppet as we speak

too late

foxy Czech marionette maker is putting the finishing touches on the new FF2 puppet as we speak
    Russian Green offered to meet me at the Framingham exit off the MAss Pike once.

Sans puppetry one assumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Ignore the non-seafood eating broad and check out Twenty-Eight Atlantic at the Wequassett Resort in Harwich (near Chatham). Awesome food.
    I'm impressed. 28 Atlantic is our best restaurant, by a wide margin. Great food and service in an impeccable waterview setting. High end dining at it's finest. If you want to go all out, this is the place. Bring your wallet.

Russian Green offered to meet me at the Framingham exit off the MAss Pike once.

Sans puppetry one assumes.
    Exit? Mens room at the rest area more likely.

Bring your wallet.
    He has his EBT card. AMIRITE?

He has his EBT card. AMIRITE?
    Dunno. Probably one of these tho....

Guido, ever been to The Road House in Hyannis, used to be good. But I haven't been in years.

Guido, ever been to The Road House in Hyannis, used to be good. But I haven't been in years.
    Pretty decent. Good place to go to drink and listen to live jazz. Food used to be better than it is today.

I thought it was pretty cool you knew about Gina's. I grew up in that neighborhood. Back in the day it was almost 100% Italians. Two Irish brothers bought the place and reopened it in the mid 70s. We had lots of after hour parties there. It's funny, the only thing that's changed on the menu since then is the pricing.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 06-11-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Bewildered Beast
    Watch for how to be helpful...

wait for it..

There it is. Thank you sir I shall google these immediately.
    Pandering to Tebow Fan is really the last straw for this thread.

All League
    LOL, moved to the BNF.

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    LOL, moved to the BNF.
    Cruel.

Hall Of Fame
    LOL, moved to the BNF.
    to help Poly get a job

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Pandering to Tebow Fan is really the last straw for this thread.
    LOL, moved to the BNF.
    Cruel.
    to help Poly get a job
    LOL.

All League
    Me you and Guido? Dinner like gentlemen?

I'm just not sure how to break that one to the 'ol ball and chain. "You see these guys I know online from the Jets site... no I've never met them... no actually well technically they are Patriots fans I guess. I know that's confusing. You know what just forget it."
    I'm a jet fan

Never ate at Gina's, very popular, though. Chapin's right down the street is also very popular. Pretty good food.

Ocean House is great. Looks a little 70's from the outside, but good food and good view.

I've been to wequassett for weddings and the outside bar. Very fancy, gorgeous place.

Chatham is great. Squire is popular with the younger crowd. Del Mar, a little west on 28 from downtown, has great food. Any schmuck can walk into the Chatham Bars Inn and get drinks; no need to be rich. Great brunch there, too.

Guido knows I love ptown. We try to clear out before dark when we have the kids, though. Too many questions.

And, you are missing out on the real cape if you don't make it east of yarmouth. Not that downtown hyannis can't be fun.

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL, moved to the BNF.
    Cruel.
    The only reason I came to this thread was because I thought someone steered it into the Dump. I wanted to see what happened.