Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mexico vs CR

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice quick start. Right place right time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sheptr View Post
    Yes, I am heading up with teenaged nephews & son. We gave our RB vs Lyon tickets to one of their teachers and will be driving up. You are right, crap drive, sadly we have to come back that night. I am excited to see USMNT first time, my 7 year old is a Roy Miller (the Red Bull) fan (please don't ask), and I played rugby on that pitch, so a bunch of little subplots, never mind a W for the US.
    Enjoy the game.

I gave my RBNY vs Lyon tickets away, as well. Not much of a market for them lol. Saw them going for like $18 on Stubhub.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hat trick in the 41st minute. Fun game to watch thus far.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SUJets1988 View Post
    Hat trick in the 41st minute. Fun game to watch thus far.
    Can't believe they actually allowed a goal to this team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Can't believe they actually allowed a goal to this team
    Poor spotting up on the set piece. Disappointing indeed, but glad to see them answer quickly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stuuuuuuuu!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stuuuuuuuu!
    Pretty exciting to see him back.

If he gets back to where he was pre-injury, I really wonder about playing Bradley/Holden and having Jermaine Jones as a sub. I know Jones is really good, but it seems like Bradley and Jones have trouble operating together, and I feel like Bradley drives the US team better in this stage.

I'm guessing Holden starts the 2nd game but only plays 60 minutes or so (as long as the US has 2 goal lead vs. Cuba) then goes the distance against CR.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Pretty exciting to see him back.

If he gets back to where he was pre-injury, I really wonder about playing Bradley/Holden and having Jermaine Jones as a sub. I know Jones is really good, but it seems like Bradley and Jones have trouble operating together, and I feel like Bradley drives the US team better in this stage.

I'm guessing Holden starts the 2nd game but only plays 60 minutes or so (as long as the US has 2 goal lead vs. Cuba) then goes the distance against CR.
    I agree. Outside of Donovan, I thought he was the best player on the field last night. Granted these past two games were against putrid opponents, but his game still looks crisp and fluid. I'm excited to see him once he's fully fit and ready to play a full 90. I like Jones, but I think you're spot on. Holden's and Bradley's games complement each other well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Outside of Donovan, I thought he was the best player on the field last night. Granted these past two games were against putrid opponents, but his game still looks crisp and fluid. I'm excited to see him once he's fully fit and ready to play a full 90. I like Jones, but I think you're spot on. Holden's and Bradley's games complement each other well.
    US also officially cap-tied Mix Diskerud. 21 year old playing in Norway. No real guarantee he will make it, but he's a funny guy. If you want some entertainment, check out this thread in the "Yanks Abroad" section on a soccer board.

He started answering questions in his own thread and still comments quite often.

The guy has 250 posts in the thread.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    US also officially cap-tied Mix Diskerud. 21 year old playing in Norway. No real guarantee he will make it, but he's a funny guy. If you want some entertainment, check out this thread in the "Yanks Abroad" section on a soccer board.

He started answering questions in his own thread and still comments quite often.

The guy has 250 posts in the thread.
    Just browsed through it. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I like his game a lot, as well. Who knows if he'll make the WC squad, but a solid player in the pipeline nevertheless.

Your thoughts on Jozy to Sunderland? I like it a lot. Hopefully one day he moves on to a top tier club, but he's a big and physical player and I think this is a great opportunity for him to continue develop in a physical, much more competitive league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just browsed through it. Good stuff, thanks for sharing.

I like his game a lot, as well. Who knows if he'll make the WC squad, but a solid player in the pipeline nevertheless.

Your thoughts on Jozy to Sunderland? I like it a lot. Hopefully one day he moves on to a top tier club, but he's a big and physical player and I think this is a great opportunity for him to continue develop in a physical, much more competitive league.
    I'm wary of it, because they were poor last season and had a ton of trouble scoring. But, it looks like they are making a lot of moves this season. I'm also curious if they are keeping the striker they signed for 12M last season. He had 11 goals before getting hurt in March, but it's a bit misleading as he had 5 goals in his first 4 games and only 6 the rest of the season.

I think about 10-12 goals would be a good first season back in Premier Leagued for Altidore, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough is Sunderland struggles. The last rumor I heard was between 9M and 10M Pounds (Around $15M), that's a pretty good sum. It will be interesting to see how he does as opposed to Bony for Swansea, Bony led the Dutch league in scoring and got 14M Pounds, and he's a year older than Altidore.

I see people who reference Altidore's first season in the Premier League as a reason he could fail, but I don't see it. Hull was a terrible team, none of those guys went on to any success after leaving. Also, he was 19, Even Gareth Bale struggled at 19 with about the same number of starts, and he was on a far better team with far better service (And no... I'm not comparing Altidore to Bale, Altidore isn't in the same galaxy, but a player not succeeding on a bad team in Premier League at 19 doesn't really mean he'll never succeed).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strange game tonight... US looked disjointed today, Donovan missed a golden opportunity, Costa Rica got away with a BLATENT red (Goalie clearly handled a shot... arguably somewhat empty net... outside the box), Wondo looked terrible after a few great games... The goal gets scored on some bad defense and great goalkeeping (It's nice to see US goalkeepers under 30 play well).

The counter that led to the goal was beautiful, reminded me of the Algeria goal, beautiful pass from Corona, perfect pass from Donovan, and a nice finish by Shea. They got the result they wanted, but a little ugly overall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strange game tonight... US looked disjointed today, Donovan missed a golden opportunity, Costa Rica got away with a BLATENT red (Goalie clearly handled a shot... arguably somewhat empty net... outside the box), Wondo looked terrible after a few great games... The goal gets scored on some bad defense and great goalkeeping (It's nice to see US goalkeepers under 30 play well).

The counter that led to the goal was beautiful, reminded me of the Algeria goal, beautiful pass from Corona, perfect pass from Donovan, and a nice finish by Shea. They got the result they wanted, but a little ugly overall.
    I got the same exact feeling from that goal. Donovan can be perceived as a bit of a weird dude and his hiatus pissed me off, but he is awesome on the counter attack. That was a great ball from Corona and then a gorgeous ball from Donovan.

Game was boring, but still fun and exciting to attend. Sat with the American Outlaws for the first time. They lack creativity with their chants and get quite repititive, but the energy and atmosphere was very good. Will be in Baltimore Sunday against El Salvador. I hear there's supposed to be a huge El Salvador presence in the building.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got the same exact feeling from that goal. Donovan can be perceived as a bit of a weird dude and his hiatus pissed me off, but he is awesome on the counter attack. That was a great ball from Corona and then a gorgeous ball from Donovan.

Game was boring, but still fun and exciting to attend. Sat with the American Outlaws for the first time. They lack creativity with their chants and get quite repititive, but the energy and atmosphere was very good. Will be in Baltimore Sunday against El Salvador. I hear there's supposed to be a huge El Salvador presence in the building.
    I'm actually now torn about the red on the goalie. My understanding of the rule is that any shot on goal stopped by a hand ball out of the box was red, but it's not quite that way. I suppose it's irrelevant now. US caught a bad break with Cuba scoring 4 in their win. Playing Martinique without a "road game" feeling, would have been easier.

It reminds me that while the US always hosts the Gold Cup, it's so unusual because they don't always have home field advantage. I would love to see other countries host the Gold Cup, or have it split among the Caribbean/Central American nations.

I'm not as angry as others with Donovan, dude has been the focal point of the US team for a dozen years. Assuming the US beats El Salvador, he'll be the first player in history with 150 caps, 50 goals, 50 assists (THough, misleading to some degree, assists weren't tracked before the 1980s), it can't be understated how important Donovan has been. Also, while he did miss some early WC Qualifiers, overall he hasn't missed much.

Curious if it does end up being US/Mexico, Mexico, for all it's talent, has been a mess in 2013. Beating them now would be a nice setup for the qualifiers in the fall.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm actually now torn about the red on the goalie. My understanding of the rule is that any shot on goal stopped by a hand ball out of the box was red, but it's not quite that way. I suppose it's irrelevant now. US caught a bad break with Cuba scoring 4 in their win. Playing Martinique without a "road game" feeling, would have been easier.

It reminds me that while the US always hosts the Gold Cup, it's so unusual because they don't always have home field advantage. I would love to see other countries host the Gold Cup, or have it split among the Caribbean/Central American nations.

I'm not as angry as others with Donovan, dude has been the focal point of the US team for a dozen years. Assuming the US beats El Salvador, he'll be the first player in history with 150 caps, 50 goals, 50 assists (THough, misleading to some degree, assists weren't tracked before the 1980s), it can't be understated how important Donovan has been. Also, while he did miss some early WC Qualifiers, overall he hasn't missed much.

Curious if it does end up being US/Mexico, Mexico, for all it's talent, has been a mess in 2013. Beating them now would be a nice setup for the qualifiers in the fall.
    Donovan was the man again today.

That was a fun and wild game to attend. That was an away game for us and it wasn't even close. I'd say we were outnumbered 4 to 1. It was basically our 2 and a half to 3 sections of US fans behind the net, then the other nearly 70,000 almost entirely El Salvador fans booming down on us. Wish it wasn't like that for these games on the East Coast, but a cool experience nonetheless.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Donovan was the man again today.

That was a fun and wild game to attend. That was an away game for us and it wasn't even close. I'd say we were outnumbered 4 to 1. It was basically our 2 and a half to 3 sections of US fans behind the net, then the other nearly 70,000 almost entirely El Salvador fans booming down on us. Wish it wasn't like that for these games on the East Coast, but a cool experience nonetheless.
    Apparenly El Salvador has a massive population in the Baltimore/DC area. If Donovan could finish, he would have scored a hat trick and passed for a hat trick. But he really was remarkable in the match. He created so many opportunities. 3 Goals & 5 assists in 4 games is a pretty good start to the gold cup.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparenly El Salvador has a massive population in the Baltimore/DC area. If Donovan could finish, he would have scored a hat trick and passed for a hat trick. But he really was remarkable in the match. He created so many opportunities. 3 Goals & 5 assists in 4 games is a pretty good start to the gold cup.
    Agreed. He looked phenomenal. It was a treat watching him in the 2nd half as they were attacking at the goal in our end. I also liked how fired up he got when he was attempting the corner later in the game and he was getting a few water bottles thrown at him. Looking for to Wednesday night.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    booo

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    booo
    Interesting result. Costa Rica is the 3rd best team in the region. CONCACAF is still a confed where anyone can beat anyone else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landon continues to dominate tonight. USA has clearly been the best team in this tournament and you have to feel confident heading into Sunday, regardless of the outcome of this game. USA!