Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holmes backs Sanchez as Jets' starting QB

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

Holmes backs Sanchez as Jets' starting QB

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...ng-quarterback

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It was a trick play at New York Jets minicamp -- nothing serious.

But from the sideline, Santonio Holmes thought Antonio Cromartie got too close to quarterback Mark Sanchez, who slipped on the play. Holmes responded by laying into Cromartie in the middle of the Jets' second practice of the mandatory minicamp.

As it turns out, Holmes has Sanchez's back in more ways than one. The wide receiver, who has been sidelined with a Lisfranc injury since last season, said he believes Sanchez will be the Jets' starting quarterback on Day 1, despite the open competition involving rookie Geno Smith.

"[Sanchez is] going to be our guy," Holmes said Wednesday. "Coaches brought him back and they kept him on this team for a reason. He's a great leader and he's got great potential and he's excited about this season upcoming, and so am I."

Whether Holmes will be ready for the start of the season remains uncertain. Holmes replied, "No comments," when asked whether he expects to play in Week 1.

Holmes, who said he needed to learn to walk all over again, characterized his rehab as progressing, but that it is limited to working out -- no running or cutting just yet. He pedaled the stationary bike briskly Wednesday.

Holmes was clear that he expects to get back to top form, he just doesn't have a timeline. And when he does return, he expects Sanchez to be under center.

"I signed back because of him, so nothing's changed," Holmes said.

It was just two seasons ago that a frustrated Holmes stormed off the field in the Jets' last game of the season. He and Sanchez needed relationship rehab that offseason, getting together one-on-one just to clear the air. It must have worked, because Holmes has been a vocal supporter of Sanchez even though the quarterback has faced criticism for turnovers the past two seasons.

"I think everybody believes in him," Holmes said "He wouldn't be here if anybody didn't believe in him. He's still wearing the same No. 6 jersey that he wore since the day he got drafted here, and I think the organization and even the team love him and we're going to continue supporting him."

So what did Cromartie think of Holmes' reaction at practice? The cornerback reflected that it must be hard for Holmes to be on the sideline for so long, but then he cracked: "Somebody's gotta have some fire on that side of the ball."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    who cares he is a douche the sooner he is gone the better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes seems to have matured. I liked what I heard from him in this interview...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...a-5539faf4d05d

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    Holmes seems to have matured. I liked what I heard from him in this interview...

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-an...a-5539faf4d05d
    Pfff c'mon. He knows he's cut next year. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take more than a 2nd grade education to figure out that if he wants to keep getting paid, he needs to spend some time rehab'ing his image.

What, you don't think these guys (with millions) have agents who consult PR types on how to maximize the next pay day? You mature from 20-25. Not 25-30.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Pfff c'mon. He knows he's cut next year. I don't know about you, but it doesn't take more than a 2nd grade education to figure out that if he wants to keep getting paid, he needs to spend some time rehab'ing his image.

What, you don't think these guys (with millions) have agents who consult PR types on how to maximize the next pay day? You mature from 20-25. Not 25-30.
    I know about his history and the contract/cut next year situation. But I'm just going by what I saw in the interview... whether it was legit or not, Idk...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fascinating!!!!

Holmes says he supports Sanchez and some of the same folks who were defending him on other threads are now calling him a bum!!!

You have to be kidding......

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 06-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Fascinating!!!!

Holmes says he supports Sanchez and the some of the same folks who were defending him on other threads are now calling him a bum!!!

Good Grief!!!
    This place is bizarre

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holmes has always defended Sanchez. Holmes defending Sanchez was part of the problems in 2011 when Holmes called out the OL. That is where it all started.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because he doesn't want his five-year, $50 million contract to end after just three seasons. He wants to say all the right things at the right time in order to help his case, even if it's microscopic, to remain here in 2014 and cash in, because he knows that he won't be getting anything close to a big deal next off-season.

Only morons would buy Holmes' comments.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big f(!-;ing deal. Do we really care what he says ?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fascinating!!!!

Holmes says he supports Sanchez and the some of the same folks who were defending him on other threads are now calling him a bum!!!

Good Grief!!!
    Know your a Sanchez die harder but Holmes is always a problem.. You don't say " Sanchez is going to be our guy... Bla bla" and undermine the coaches who all have said its still to this day a wide open competition between smith and Sanchez. All indictations are they are tied.. do we want other players coming out and saying " I think smith is going to be our guy he had a great college career And looks good Ect" no we don't! That's creating divisions among the team and putting awkward pressure on both qbs and coaches.. What happens to chemistry between smith and holmes when smith is named starter? will holmes suddenly back him and support him? Holmes need to stfu as usual.. He signed back because MT grossly overpaid for him.. Just like Sanchez, with the guarantee nonsense making him impossible to cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, "until time permits", anyway

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    Know your a Sanchez die harder but Holmes is always a problem.. You don't say " Sanchez is going to be our guy... Bla bla" and undermine the coaches who all have said its still to this day a wide open competition between smith and Sanchez. All indictations are they are tied.. do we want other players coming out and saying " I think smith is going to be our guy he had a great college career And looks good Ect" no we don't! That's creating divisions among the team and putting awkward pressure on both qbs and coaches.. What happens to chemistry between smith and holmes when smith is named starter? will holmes suddenly back him and support him? Holmes need to stfu as usual.. He signed back because MT grossly overpaid for him.. Just like Sanchez, with the guarantee nonsense making him impossible to cut.
    Why don't you ask me what I think instead of inferring things I neither said or believe!!

Good Grief!!

I have consistently said that signing Holmes and making him a captain was a huge mistake!!! I am on record for keeping Edwards not Holmes. Holmes always had a big mouth and as you pointed out, this is nothing new.

And despite what some posters allude to now, Holmes has NOT always supported Sanchez.

Remember when Holmes made unfavorable comparisons between Sanchez and Big Ben etc.?

Indeed it was documented, well documented, that Holmes literally walked out of practices last year and deliberately tuned out and undermined Sanchez in public and now we have folks saying that Holmes has "always" supported Sanchez!!

Utter nonsense and it is untrue.

I have said it before to many people out here want to be right rather than Jets fans...

Again I am not a "supportive" of Sanchez (I wanted Freeman drafted) but rather I believe that there has to be clear and unambiguous support from the offensive skill positions. To believe that somehow Tom Brady is mythically going to walk through the tunnel on opening day and don a Jets Uniform is FF run amuck!

That is all I am saying and have said.....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why don't you ask me what I think instead of inferring things I neither said or believe!!

Good Grief!!

I have consistently said that signing Holmes and making him a captain was a huge mistake!!! I am on record for keeping Edwards not Holmes. Holmes always had a big mouth and as you pointed out, this is nothing new.

And despite what some posters allude to now, Holmes has NOT always supported Sanchez.

Remember when Holmes made unfavorable comparisons between Sanchez and Big Ben etc.?

Indeed it was documented, well documented, that Holmes literally walked out of practices last year and deliberately tuned out and undermined Sanchez in public and now we have folks saying that Holmes has "always" supported Sanchez!!

Utter nonsense and it is untrue.

I have said it before to many people out here want to be right rather than Jets fans...

Again I am not a "supportive" of Sanchez (I wanted Freeman drafted) but rather I believe that there has to be clear and unambiguous support from the offensive skill positions. To believe that somehow Tom Brady is mythically going to walk through the tunnel on opening day and don a Jets Uniform is FF run amuck!

That is all I am saying and have said.....
    Both Holmes and also Mangold have made huge statements this week in their solidarity and support of Sanchez.

So much for the media spin and fan agenda of Sanchez losing the locker room.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the most interesting part of the story for me: Cromartie: "Somebody's gotta have some fire on that side of the ball."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neither Sanchez nor Holmes will be Jets in 2014.

The 2013 season cannot go past fast enough tbqh.

Going to be a loser year to help us in dumping our core losers.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Neither Sanchez nor Holmes will be Jets in 2014.

The 2013 season cannot go past fast enough tbqh.

Going to be a loser year to help us in dumping our core losers.
    The worst statistical qb in the league backed by a retard, a ringing endorsement...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by matt robinson 17 View Post
    The worst statistical qb in the league backed by a retard, a ringing endorsement...
    LOLz!

How about this indirect shot at Sanchez by Cro

"Somebody's gotta have some fire on that side of the ball."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ctjetfan View Post
    LOLz!

How about this indirect shot at Sanchez by Cro

"Somebody's gotta have some fire on that side of the ball."
    Backwards slap at the Sanchise, no love between the two, especially when every pass thrown to him is at his feet, over his head, or leads him into a defender for a concussion...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! A wr receiver defending his qb. What a concept.This place is getting to be worse than CNN.