Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brutal starting schedule gives Sanchez last chance

Brutal starting schedule gives Sanchez last chance

Start with new offensive system vs. best potential secondary in league (+Revis) followed by a trip to NE on 4 days rest for a night prime time game
    Week 1 Tampa Bay
    Week 2 @New England - Thursday Night Football

Team could easily be 0-2 increasing pressure to beat rebuilding Bills then travel to Nashville to remember Sanchez fumbling away remaining hope last season
    Week 3 Buffalo
    Week 4 @Tennessee

Night prime time game vs a team that won 13 regular season games last year, 6 days rest and then Steelers coming off a bye week
    Week 5 @Atlanta - Monday Night Football
    Week 6 Pittsburgh

Two 10+ win teams followed by motivated Payton/Brees with Rob Ryan Defense
    Week 7 New England
    Week 8 @Cincinnati
    Week 9 New Orleans

Week 10 Bye - (New QB, HC or both?)

Two road games to start the second half, second vs the Superbowl champs
    Week 11 @Buffalo
    Week 12 @Baltimore

This is the fun part and possible playoff run "green glasses on" (unless the fish really have found a QB)
    Week 13 Miami
    Week 14 Oakland
    Week 15 @Carolina
    Week 16 Cleveland
    Week 17 @Miami

Anyone see 10+ wins in that schedule? Really, please help me understand

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I'll play.. and I threw my green goggles out in 2010...

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio State NY Jets fan View Post
    Start with new offensive system vs. best potential secondary in league (+Revis) followed by a trip to NE on 4 days rest for a night prime time game
    Week 1 Tampa Bay
    The Jets don't have a great passing offense, so facing a 'great' secondary shouldn't really matter. We've all seen first hand what happens when Revis went up against a 2nd tier WR.. nothing. Home game. Good Jets defense. New offensive gameplan. They could squeak out a W

No chance here. Agreed.

Team could easily be 0-2 increasing pressure to beat rebuilding Bills then travel to Nashville to remember Sanchez fumbling away remaining hope last season
    Week 3 Buffalo
    Rex Ryan defense going up against a rookie QB? Win #2. 2-1

Week 4 @Tennessee
    It took Mark Sanchez's works game as a professional (and one of the worst games by a QB in general) for the Jets to lose to the Titans last year. Give the Jets a W this time around. 3-1

Night prime time game vs a team that won 13 regular season games last year, 6 days rest and then Steelers coming off a bye week
    Week 6 Pittsburgh
    I can't see going to Atlanta and winning. Pittsburgh isn't the same team as in years past.. They're going through a transitional period and can be beat. Coming off a bye isn't the ideal time to face them, but at home, let's give the Jets win #4. 4-2

Week 7 New England
    Week 8 @Cincinnati
    Week 9 New Orleans
    I see 3 straight losses here. The schedule maker was not kind (at least not yet) 4-5

Week 11 @Buffalo
    Week 12 @Baltimore
    EJ Manuel at QB just does not scare me. Jets get back to .500 before falling to Baltimore. 5-6.

This is the fun part and possible playoff run "green glasses on" (unless the fish really have found a QB)
    Week 13 Miami
    Week 14 Oakland
    Week 15 @Carolina
    Week 16 Cleveland
    Week 17 @Miami
    Miami - W 6-6
    Oakland - W 7-6
    Carolina W - 8-6
    Cleveland W - 9-6
    Miami - I'd love to say W.. but I'll go typical Jets fashion and a L..
    9-7

Being as optimistic as possible, I still only see 9 wins tops.. which wouldn't exactly be a disaster..

Looking at that, I'd actually be glad if Sanchez starts. No sense in getting your new, young rookie completely annihilated. Start the guy you KNOW is expendable. Wait for an easier stretch of the season to bring in Geno. Give him the best chance at succeeding. Build up his confidence before he needs to face top notch competition.

Jets Insider VIP
    8-8 or 9-7 will be just fine in a year where Idzik has had only a few months to try and clean up the herculean cap mess that Tannenbaum left the Jets in.

It will be a fun season to watch a group of younger, faster and eventually better guys he has brought to the Jets work hard and give 100 percent effort. Our first year starting QB will no doubt make some mistakes early but things should start to gel and improve for the Jets as the season progresses

The really important point is that by 2014, the cap will be completely in order, no precious draft assets available to the Jets in next years draft (probably 12 picks) will have been peed away on trade-ups for failed players or handed out to various coaches like crackerjack box toys (Fourth round-- this one is yours, Rex.... Fifth and sixth round.. your turn Westy... make a couple of picks for me) or WORST OF ALL on trading for the most incompetent and utterly useless "quarterback" in the history of the NFL

Shoulld be a fun year to watch a young, rebuilding team giving full effort in 2013

and and even more fun decade starting in 2014 as a team that can compete for the big prize is brought to fruition, finally, in a sane and prudent manner

All Pro
    Week 1 Tampa Bay

Week 3 Buffalo
    Week 4 @Tennessee

Week 6 Pittsburgh

Week 7 New England
    Week 8 @Cincinnati
    Week 9 New Orleans

Week 11 @Buffalo
    Week 12 @Baltimore

Week 13 Miami
    Week 14 Oakland
    Week 15 @Carolina
    Week 16 Cleveland
    Week 17 @Miami

i see maybe 5 wins

The swing game is Saints at home.
    The Saints have had problems with 2 things,
    1st, protecting Brees.
    There Oline hasn't been the same since losing that big OG to the Bucs.
    2nd, they can't stop the run!
    How do you beat a team like the Saints?
    Play keep away, hit the QB, hit a couple of special teams plays.
    This is not the Saints of 2009 folks & they are not nearly as good on the road & outside.

* This is the game Ivory has been waiting for & MM is no fool. Ivory gets the rock!

Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    i see maybe 5 wins
    I need to go through this more slowly a few times but I'm seeing 5-6.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    i see maybe 5 wins
    7 IF Brady and Mallet both get injured in TC and Belichick is forced to put Teblow on the field

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    7 IF Brady and Mallet both get injured in TC and Belichick is forced to put Teblow on the field
    see this is what funny did i mention tebow at all............it is the people that hate him that make the circus not the other way around chk any thread on here and it is people like you sparky that fuel the fire..........

Can someone here tell me why nobody is giving the jets a chance to beat New England this year? What makes them so much better?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Can someone here tell me why nobody is giving the jets a chance to beat New England this year? What makes them so much better?
    Good point since the Jets would have beaten them last year if Hill holds onto the ball!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Other than their HOF coach & QB along with the Jets' lack of receiving threats, proven running game and question marks in the back 7...well, I guess nothing.

Glad to revisit this question if the Jets beat the Bucs 24-0 on opening day though.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Other than their HOF coach & QB along with the Jets' lack of receiving threats, proven running game and question marks in the back 7...well, I guess nothing.

Glad to revisit this question if the Jets beat the Bucs 24-0 on opening day though.
    The only way I can see us beating NE is if Brady struggles early in the season with his new receivers. It's easy to forget they basically have 100% turnover at WR and their TEs and chronically injured. NE is always good (and should once again easily win the AFCE) but I don't think they're going 13-3 this year.

I think Week 1 is really important. If we lose that, it's hard to see any scenario where we finish .500 or better.... The hole we'll end up digging will be too big. And I DO think we can beat the Bucs. Best secondary? They had the worst secondary in the league last year (yes they added Revis and a few rookies)... If our defense is as good as we're all hoping it should be competitive.

I understand the pessimism on paper -- last years Jets squad finishes worse than 6-10 against this schedule. It really comes down to two obvous things we don't know yet --

A) Is the defense better or worse, specifically how do our young guys play? If Coples and Wilkerson step up, Richardson and Milliner have an impact, Davis plays okay... We could be really good.

B) How much better is our offense under Mornhinweg? This is the big one, obviously -- we were a horrific offensive team under Sparano but now we have a legit NFC OC.

I still think we're better than last year but only go 7-9 because it's a pretty tough schedule. AFC North and NFC South are two tough divisions.
    Last edited by Austin; 06-13-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    I'll play.. and I threw my green goggles out in 2010...

The Jets don't have a great passing offense, so facing a 'great' secondary shouldn't really matter. We've all seen first hand what happens when Revis went up against a 2nd tier WR.. nothing. Home game. Good Jets defense. New offensive gameplan. They could squeak out a W

No chance here. Agreed.

Rex Ryan defense going up against a rookie QB? Win #2. 2-1

It took Mark Sanchez's works game as a professional (and one of the worst games by a QB in general) for the Jets to lose to the Titans last year. Give the Jets a W this time around. 3-1

I can't see going to Atlanta and winning. Pittsburgh isn't the same team as in years past.. They're going through a transitional period and can be beat. Coming off a bye isn't the ideal time to face them, but at home, let's give the Jets win #4. 4-2

I see 3 straight losses here. The schedule maker was not kind (at least not yet) 4-5

EJ Manuel at QB just does not scare me. Jets get back to .500 before falling to Baltimore. 5-6.

Miami - W 6-6
    Oakland - W 7-6
    Carolina W - 8-6
    Cleveland W - 9-6
    Miami - I'd love to say W.. but I'll go typical Jets fashion and a L..
    9-7

Being as optimistic as possible, I still only see 9 wins tops.. which wouldn't exactly be a disaster..
    Excellent, would love a win vs the Bucs and agree it's possible, Jets will not be favored in game 1 but agree on Bills and great call vs Titans (that was a bad game last year)

The prime time night games have not been good to the Jets

Also agree Steelers win is possible but again Jets will be the underdog

Great reply, I went back and forth putting wins and losses on each game, you would think a 6 win team would get a schedule break but it would be nice to finish the year strong for a change, we have watched a few 9 wins teams win the SB once they got on a run

9 wins considering this schedule and a rebuilding team would be great!

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The swing game is Saints at home.
    The Saints have had problems with 2 things,
    1st, protecting Brees.
    There Oline hasn't been the same since losing that big OG to the Bucs.
    2nd, they can't stop the run!
    How do you beat a team like the Saints?
    Play keep away, hit the QB, hit a couple of special teams plays.
    This is not the Saints of 2009 folks & they are not nearly as good on the road & outside.

* This is the game Ivory has been waiting for & MM is no fool. Ivory gets the rock!
    Bucs, Steelers and Saints are the key games in the first half, Jets will be underdogs in all three but can win (any given Sunday)

I think Rob will improve the defense but I like your strategy with Ivory and Rex shut down Brees in 09

Depends on the mood of the team after 4 tough games starting in Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Good point since the Jets would have beaten them last year if Hill holds onto the ball!!!!!
    Over the past two seasons, our Jets are 0-6 in prime time games, the first matchup with only 4 days rest, opening Thursday Night Football in NE is not ideal, and the second game is in the middle of a difficult 5 game stretch for any team (no extra time for game planning)

Week 6 Pittsburgh
    Week 7 New England
    Week 8 @Cincinnati
    Week 9 New Orleans

NE is beatable but schedule makers did not help the Jets this year

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    8-8 or 9-7 will be just fine in a year where Idzik has had only a few months to try and clean up the herculean cap mess that Tannenbaum left the Jets in.

It will be a fun season to watch a group of younger, faster and eventually better guys he has brought to the Jets work hard and give 100 percent effort. Our first year starting QB will no doubt make some mistakes early but things should start to gel and improve for the Jets as the season progresses

The really important point is that by 2014, the cap will be completely in order, no precious draft assets available to the Jets in next years draft (probably 12 picks) will have been peed away on trade-ups for failed players or handed out to various coaches like crackerjack box toys (Fourth round-- this one is yours, Rex.... Fifth and sixth round.. your turn Westy... make a couple of picks for me) or WORST OF ALL on trading for the most incompetent and utterly useless "quarterback" in the history of the NFL

Shoulld be a fun year to watch a young, rebuilding team giving full effort in 2013

and and even more fun decade starting in 2014 as a team that can compete for the big prize is brought to fruition, finally, in a sane and prudent manner
    Great Post SG3 and thanks again for the mini camp thread, looking forward to seeing a young and hungry Jets team get out there and play some football "Competition" is the new word, no more "trader" time...

Looking forward to fun year (8-9 wins would be great) with hope for the future

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    I understand the pessimism on paper -- last years Jets squad finishes worse than 6-10 against this schedule. It really comes down to two obvous things we don't know yet --

A) Is the defense better or worse, specifically how do our young guys play? If Coples and Wilkerson step up, Richardson and Milliner have an impact, Davis plays okay... We could be really good.

B) How much better is our offense under Mornhinweg? This is the big one, obviously -- we were a horrific offensive team under Sparano but now we have a legit NFC OC.
    Agreed 100%. Could equal a 2/3 win swing in either direction based on how those play out.

Week 1 Tampa Bay

Week 3 Buffalo
    Week 4 @Tennessee

Week 6 Pittsburgh

Week 7 New England
    Week 8 @Cincinnati
    Week 9 New Orleans

Week 11 @Buffalo
    Week 12 @Baltimore

Week 13 Miami
    Week 14 Oakland
    Week 15 @Carolina
    Week 16 Cleveland
    Week 17 @Miami

Sure all these are winnable:
    Week 1 Tampa Bay
    Week 3 Buffalo
    Week 4 @Tennessee
    Week 6 Pittsburgh
    Week 9 New Orleans
    Week 11 @Buffalo
    Week 13 Miami
    Week 14 Oakland
    Week 15 @Carolina
    Week 16 Cleveland
    Week 17 @Miami

We could lose all or some of them but we should be in every one of these games. I actually like the Thursday night game in NE. They usually kill us in NE and the extra rest will give us a chance to recover and fix things before a very winnable stretch of games.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-13-2013 at 09:18 AM.