Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Jets' Geno Smith, Not Mark Sanchez, Takes Majority of Reps

All League

Post New York Jets' Geno Smith, Not Mark Sanchez, Takes Majority of Reps

http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/17...m_waksman.html

New York Jets' Geno Smith, Not Mark Sanchez, Takes Majority of Reps

By Adam Waksman

COMMENTARY
    If anyone still doubts that the New York Jets and head coach Rex Ryan have thrown quarterback Mark Sanchez into a full-fledged competition, those doubts can disappear right about now. In Wednesday's minicamp practice, rookie second-round draft pick Geno Smith took the majority of the snaps at quarterback, partially supplanting Sanchez, at least for the day.

Big Deal or No Deal?
    According to Ricky Recchia of SNY, Smith took the majority of the reps in Wednesday's practice. As noted by Recchia and confirmed by Brian Bassett (also of SNY), this news is not a clear sign of demotion for Sanchez. The two quarterbacks are on a rotation, with different quarterbacks taking the majority of the reps on different days.

What we can conclude is that even if Smith has not surpassed Sanchez, he has at least pulled more or less even with him. Otherwise, he would not be getting this type of treatment so early in the summer.

While I (and others) often view Russell Wilson as the comparison point for Smith (due to the similarities in this year's Jets' offseason to last year's Seattle Seahawks' offseason), it is worth noting that Smith may be one-upping Sanchez even more quickly than Wilson did to Matt Flynn a year ago. While Russell spent a non-trivial portion of his first summer as No. 3 on the depth chart, and while Russell needed multiple preseason games before he took over the starting job, Smith is already making a case for himself in the first week of minicamp.

That is not to say that Smith is necessarily better than Russell. However, it is evidence that Smith may be more ahead of Sanchez than Russell was ahead of Flynn.

Rookies are Rookies
    In the same report, Bassett released some not-so-shocking news. "Eye witnesses said that [Geno] Smith's passes looked nice yesterday, but that he needed time in the pocket." Naturally, still in his first week of minicamp, Smith is raw and needs to learn not only his own new offense but also the way NFL defenses play. Building up decision-making speed always takes time.

The more interesting part of that snippet of news is that Smith's raw throwing ability appears to be solid. This corroborates much of the news that had been coming out of Jets' OTAs to the effect that Smith may have more potential as a passer than the more-veteran Sanchez.

New Wide Receivers
    Geno Smith spent most of OTAs throwing to receivers who most fans have never heard of. With Santonio Holmes, Stephen Hill, Jeremy Kerley and Clyde Gates all battling injuries, the top four players on the Jets' wide receiver depth chart were mostly MIA.

This week, with Stephen Hill recovering from the swelling in his knee, Smith may get the opportunity to throw to the talented young receiver. A big part of offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg's offense is downfield passing. Without a fast receiver and a strong throwing arm, that aspect cannot be effectively utilized.

Hopefully for the Jets, Smith will get the opportunity to throw to not only Hill but also to Jeremy Kerley. If that happens, then we can finally start to get a sense of what the Jets' offense could look like in September.

Adam Waksman is a Yahoo! contributor in sports. He also covers the New York Jets for Bleacher Report, where he is a Featured Columnist and award-winning blogger.

All Pro
    Sanchez will never ever take another reg season snap again barring Geno Smith getting severly hurt before the season. We know this already.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Sanchez will never ever take another reg season snap again barring Geno Smith getting severly hurt before the season. We know this already.
    I wish I knew this but I don't.

Bewildered Beast
    Wanting to know something and then wanting to forget it is the purpose of this thread.

Why have we not brought in BE yet?

Hall Of Fame
    Agree.

Geno just talks like he knows the game a LOT more and sounds like much more of a leader.

LOT of people around here are gonna have plenty of Crow to eat once GS starts getting things down.

I'd much rather watch him learn than watch Sanchez fvck up like he's consistently done for 4 years...
    And LOL at the fools who actually think he will do better in a more complicated offense that thrives on Sanchez' weakest suit... ACCURACY

all this chatter in June. what does it all mean? wake me up in time for the 1st interception on opening day.

All I know is there are going to be a lot of angry fans if Sanchez is the starter week 1. I was at practice yesterday, and I have to say I was surprised at the level of hostility directed at Sanchez. People treated him with contempt and he was constantly ridiculed. At the end of the day, they had the kids in a little corral for authograph signings, and every one, and I mean every single one, was shouting for Geno--even the kids wearing Sanchez jerseys.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Wanting to know something and then wanting to forget it is the purpose of this thread.
    The purpose of this thread was simply to share an article. There are no ulterior motives here.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    All I know is there are going to be a lot of angry fans if Sanchez is the starter week 1. I was at practice yesterday, and I have to say I was surprised at the level of hostility directed at Sanchez. People treated him with contempt and he was constantly ridiculed. At the end of the day, they had the kids in a little corral for authograph signings, and every one, and I mean every single one, was shouting for Geno--even the kids wearing Sanchez jerseys.
    Not condoning that kind of behavior but

You play like chit you get treated like chit.

You're the only person on the planet that KNOWS this...but definitely not the only one who'll be happy if it's true.

Get it done, Geno.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    Perhaps knowing that you forgot it is comforting enough, ya know.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Perhaps knowing that you forgot it is comforting enough, ya know.
    I've mastered the art of forgetting most of the Jets games I have to watch...
    Only problem is the hangover that lingers until the next weekend.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    The purpose of this thread was simply to share an article. There are no ulterior motives here.
    Sorry JB...I just follow the Zen Master Joe W. I try to learn from his teachings.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Why have we not brought in BE yet?
    I guess they feel a need to prove you can take scrubs that aren't even good enough to go in the 7th round can be transformed into NFL players with coaching, practice and heart!

Hall Of Fame
    I heard that Sanchez took all the reps with the starters in Tuesday's practice. Maybe they are going every other day instead of sharing snaps every day.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I heard that Sanchez took all the reps with the starters in Tuesday's practice. Maybe they are going every other day instead of sharing snaps every day.
    Exactly what they been doing.

And the media is only present when Sanchez is taking the 1st team snaps. LOL.

You can tell they're pissed about it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    I guess they feel a need to prove you can take scrubs that aren't even good enough to go in the 7th round can be transformed into NFL players with coaching, practice and heart!
    I just do not get it, has there ever been a down side to having Edwards, what do the Jets know that we don't know.

I know the longer he stays avialable the less he is worth, but it also works the other way around, the longer we are without him the more we show we need him. This receiver corps his horrible, and with Hill and Holms back, whenever and if they are back, who knows how much it will improve. I don't get it, bring back BE.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    They're swapping playing with the ones every two practices. Rex stated this.

It's going to be like this until a starter is named. Don't look into it more than that.

Jets Insider VIP
    sounds like the fair competition that was promised by Idzik, Rex, Mornhingweg and Lee

But sounds like it is at least reduced to a two man as I saw on Tuesday

Sanchez got almost all the one reps and Smith the twos with a few snaps with the ones

Simms was the 3, McElroy the 4

my guess is that they are also swapping 3 and 4 in each practice, too