Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanchez & Smith haven't separated per Lee

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez & Smith haven't separated per Lee

In summary, Sanchez is dumber than dirt and Smith as expected needs to assimilate PLUS fix his footwork. Meh.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ee_mark_s.html

David Lee says there are some days when Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith both look good. Then there are days when both look real good. Then, there are days when both donít look good at all.

And thatís why the Jets donít have a starting quarterback yet.

"Theyíve done it together, they havenít made it easy," Lee, the Jetsí new quarterbacks coach, said yesterday. "... I donít know why theyíre both doing it at the same time. Maybe itís a reflection on me. Maybe Iím screwing it up somehow, but they wonít separate right now."

With Sanchez, the turnover rate needs to get better. Lee said when he
    was hired, Jets coach Rex Ryan asked him to just get Sanchez to take care of the ball.

"Fifty-two turnovers in two years is not conducive to winning in our league," Lee said. "Mark can win in this league. Heís proven that. Heís played for championships.

"But Iím blatantly honest. Brutally truthful at times, and Iíve told him ó Iíve said, ĎHey, the best thing you can do for this football team is take care of the ball.í Itís been so hard for him to keep his left hand on the football. Yesterday was the first time he kept two hands on the ball and thatís after nine OTAs and a mini-camp."

With Smith, the footwork and assimilation into the West Coast offense need to come around.

"His system at West Virginia, thereís no similarities there whatsoever," Lee said. "Unlike Russell Wilson, who was in the West Coast system for three years at N.C. State under Dana Bible ... Geno hasnít had that luxury. Itís been a brand-new world ever day, just struggling with the basic things."

Lee, in his first meeting with reporters since receiving the job, flashed the honesty that his players admired so far in mini-camp. His assessment, though encouraging, shows just how far the competition needs to come in the next few weeks.

He cautioned that there is still time ó training camp is more than a month away ó but Lee has also admittedly never gone through a quarterback competition like this before. As a Bill Parcells disciple, everything was far more cut-and-dry. Parcells also liked to judge his quarterbacks based on game action. Lee mentioned the preseason as an important step, but also said that a decision could be made by then.

"In Miami, it was (Chad) Pennington, it was clear," Lee said. "With Bill Parcells in Dallas, it was Quincy Carter, clearly Quincy. Then it was Vinny (Testaverde), clearly Vinny. Then it was Drew (Bledsoe), clearly Drew. Then Drewís play went down a little and he made that call in the middle of the Giants game.

"So, itís never been like this, no, sir."

In the meantime, they will continue to drill. There is a specific "Sanchez Drill" at the end of practice where the quarterbacks must go through a "gauntlet" to protect the football. Lee said: "He hates it."

There is a continuous emphasis on footwork for Smith, who may have the slightest misstep ó an extra hitch ó that will throw off a play.

"We will continue to look at both of them, split reps, and as soon as we know ĎHey, heís the guyí weíll let you know. But right now we donít know."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    that Mark can't separate from a rookie is terrible news for Mark

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow....this whole article is just pathetic for Sanchez.

Can't separate from a Rookie who's never played in west coast offense.
    And has to have a "Sanchez drill" so they he doesn't turn the ball over.

lord help us...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    that Mark can't separate from a rookie is terrible news for Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

lord help us...
    +1

BUT, the good news is, Geno gets better every day and is much smarter.
    And it seems that he can actually read a Defense if you've listened to him talk about audibles and no huddle situations.

I just hope the OL can keep Geno off the ground.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5th year vet starter, 5th overall pick in his class, can't separate from a 2nd round rookie.

WORTH EVERY PENNY!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know wether to laugh or cry..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mind boggling that it seems just now the Jets are having drills concentrating on correcting the turnovers. One large flaw in NFL coaching is, in the rush to install some massively complex offense or defense or develop players on how to read everything the fundamentals get pushed to the side.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Mind boggling that it seems just now the Jets are having drills concentrating on correcting the turnovers. One large flaw in NFL coaching is, in the rush to install some massively complex offense or defense or develop players on how to read everything the fundamentals get pushed to the side.
    At least they now recognize the error of their ways. It is nice to have a QB coach who at least pays attention to fundamentals.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LIJetsFan View Post

There is a continuous emphasis on footwork for Smith, who may have the slightest misstep ó an extra hitch ó that will throw off a play.
    It did look like he was doing something like that in the clips of his college games.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    speaks volumes about our former QB coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me of fumbling for years before Tom Coughlin finally decided to do something about it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    speaks volumes about our former QB coach.
    There was a former QB coach?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    +1

BUT, the good news is, Geno gets better every day and is much smarter.
    And it seems that he can actually read a Defense if you've listened to him talk about audibles and no huddle situations.

I just hope the OL can keep Geno off the ground.
    Was that in this article or did you get that from somewhere else?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Was that in this article or did you get that from somewhere else?
    Nah... Just my opinion from videos I've seen of him. Mainly when he's talking about checkdowns and decisions from his game films.
    Watch the gruden video if you haven't seen it.
    He makes Sanchez sound/look like a total poser IMO

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah... Just my opinion from videos I've seen of him. Mainly when he's talking about checkdowns and decisions from his game films.
    Watch the gruden video if you haven't seen it.
    He makes Sanchez sound/look like a total poser IMO
    YOu've seen videos of him getting better every day?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    YOu've seen videos of him getting better every day?
    Uh... no. I'm going on reports coming from the Jets and the media that wishes there was something to bash him with.

No link.... So obviously nobody on the Jets is getting any better with anything

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Uh... no. I'm going on reports coming from the Jets and the media that wishes there was something to bash him with.

No link.... So obviously nobody on the Jets is getting any better with anything
    I haven't heard or read anything about his daily improvement so I was curious to what you had seen. I haven't seen other than Smith saying he's 'trying to get better' and Rex saying he 'foresees' improvement in Smith.
    Last edited by Vinny Testaverde's Niece; 06-13-2013 at 02:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

lord help us...
    And yet Sanchez has his supporters that will beg for him to be our starter. This is a team game. If they are even at the end of camp, Geno starts!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    After 3 days without pads...shocking

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone else find if funny David Lee said Geno is not ready to start at the same time saying Sanchez has not been able to separate himself from Geno? What does that say about our 4 year starter that he can't separate from a QB not ready to start? Imagine if we had a real QB the last 4 years what this team could have been?