Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winslow could become official...per Cimini Also New and Notes

Practice Squad

Winslow could become official...per Cimini Also New and Notes

so take with a grain of salt from this douche...lol

Winslow could become official
    June, 13, 2013 Jun 131:30PM ETBy Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com Recommend1 Tweet3 Comments6Email Print FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Kellen Winslow turned his audition into an extended stay -- or at least that's how it might happen. The Jets would like to sign the veteran free agent to a contract, and there's a good chance that will happen soon.

Kellen Winslow
    #82 TE
    New England Patriots
    2012 STATS

Rec
    1 Yds
    12 TD
    0 Avg
    12.0Long
    12YAC
    2Rex Ryan was coy when asked about it before Thursday's final practice of minicamp.

"I'm not going to discuss that now," he said. "I see exactly what you see. I see that athleticism and his ability to catch the football jumps out at you."

Ryan said Winslow, who hasn't been a full-time player since 2011, still has a "presence" on the field. Based on his three-day tryout, it looks like he'll have a presence in training camp as well.

Odds and Ends: Ryan reiterated what QBs coach David Lee said Wednesday about rookie Geno Smith, acknowledging that Smith is struggling. He expects Smith to take a big leap in training camp. "When he's on, the guy is absolutely terrific," Ryan said. ... CB Kyle Wilson is having his best offseason, according to Ryan. But that doesn't mean he'll replace Darrelle Revis in the starting lineup. Ryan noted that No. 1 pick Dee Milliner was "one of the top corners I've seen come through the draft in a long time." ... It sounds like Ryan, frustrated by all the dropped passes this week, wants to sign a veteran wide receiver. He has a pretty good one on the sideline -- Santonio Holmes, recovering from foot surgery. "We need Santonio Holmes, I don't think there's any doubt about that," Ryan said.

RichCimini Rich Cimini
    Winslow could become official: FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Kellen Winslow turned his audition into an extended stay ... http://t.co/kp7r2tURIu
    7 minutes ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Geno Smith ruins a good day with a second-down INT in 2-min drill. Telegraphed pass, CB Berry jumped route. #Jets
    28 minutes ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Geno Smith to Hill for about 50 yards. One of the best plays of minicamp. Terrific throw. #Jets
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

A peak at Sanchez and Geno Smith. Are they talking "Jets West"? #Jets http://t.co/Q5nMPnZsQU
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Minicamp practice indoors: Goodson back after day in court. Cromartie not here for personal reasons. #Jets
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Ryan says Milliner "one of the top corners I've seen come through the draft in a long time." My prediction: he's Wk 1 starter. #Jets
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

CB Kyle Wilson, likely the nickel back, having his offseason, according to Ryan. #Jets
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Ryan on WR drops: "We have to fix it ... If that's with other players, so be it." Not just 1 player, it's position-wide epidemic. #Jets
    about an hour ago
    RichCimini Rich Cimini

Rex Ryan still not happy with WRs. He said there were 2 drops in walk-thru yesterday, "something I don't think I've ever seen." #Jets
    about an hour ago

Rex is REALLY pissed with these WRs... I wish I could see some behind the scenes meeting room stuff.
    You KNOW it's gotta be good! lol

Jets Insider VIP
    Pretty funny

I read every one of the published comments from Rex, Marty and Lee that our Dick referenced

and in every one they said that all the quarterbacks had moments where they looked very good, moments where they looked OK and moments where they looked not so good. Lee's comments, particularly, noted that these moments seemed to always come at the same time -- looking good to great, looking OK and looking bad...both at the same time.

Our Dick heard these same comments that were published and somehow the espn ny village idiot translated all of them into his typical snarky "Geno Smith Struggled"

what an irresponsible jackass with zero integrity

All League
    Charter JI Member

It's also being reported now the Geno's "no comment" yesterday regarding Jets West was b/c he had no idea what it was.

Today he says he's there if he gets an invite.

Another non-issue blown out of proportion.

As a pass-catcher only, does old broken down Winslow fill the gap left by young broken down Keller?

All Pro
    Winslow is exponentially better than anything else on the roster, and it sounds like they've stopped whining about his massive "injury history".

[QUOTE=sg3;4910212]Pretty funny

looked very good, moments where they looked OK and moments where they looked not so good.

sounds like my golf game...

The re-growth of the Beard?

Jets Insider VIP
    Winslow isn't great, he's a little broken down and hasn't been able to stay healthy or stick with any teams recently. Yet he'll instantly be our best TE. What does that tell you?!?!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4910267]
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Pretty funny

looked very good, moments where they looked OK and moments where they looked not so good.

sounds like my golf game...
    mine is different

no moments where it looks very good and lots of moments where it looks really crappy

my game in golf is quite similar to Tebow's as a passing quarterback, now that I think of it

[QUOTE=sg3;4910283]
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ37/12 View Post

mine is different

no moments where it looks very good and lots of moments where it looks really crappy

my game in golf is quite similar to Tebow's as a passing quarterback, now that I think of it
    lol, good stuff.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Winslow isn't great, he's a little broken down and hasn't been able to stay healthy or stick with any teams recently. Yet he'll instantly be our best TE. What does that tell you?!?!
    Marty has had good success mediocre TE's.

All Pro
    2006 Cleveland 16 89 875 9.8 3
    2007 Cleveland 16 82 1,106 13.5 5
    2008 Cleveland 10 43 428 10.0 3
    2009 Tampa Bay 16 77 884 11.5 5
    2010 Tampa Bay 16 66 730 11.1 5
    2011 Tampa Bay 16 75 763 10.2 2
    2012 New England 1 1 12 12.0 0

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    2006 Cleveland 16 89 875 9.8 3
    2007 Cleveland 16 82 1,106 13.5 5
    2008 Cleveland 10 43 428 10.0 3
    2009 Tampa Bay 16 77 884 11.5 5
    2010 Tampa Bay 16 66 730 11.1 5
    2011 Tampa Bay 16 75 763 10.2 2
    2012 New England 1 1 12 12.0 0
    You do realize that his knee pain was a factor as to why he left the Pats and was not picked up by another team last year correct? By his own admission the pain became unbearable at times and he said his days being a full time every down TE are probably behind him. Expecting the numbers he put up from 2007 to 2011 are unrealistic. If he could put up 2/3 of that, it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You do realize that his knee pain was a factor as to why he left the Pats and was not picked up by another team last year correct? By his own admission the pain became unbearable at times and he said his days being a full time every down TE are probably behind him. Expecting the numbers he put up from 2007 to 2011 are unrealistic. If he could put up 2/3 of that, it would be great.
    Can't be that expensive to sign, no? Low risk decent reward. We have NO talent at that position.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    Can't be that expensive to sign, no? Low risk decent reward. We have NO talent at that position.
    Whoa.

Talkin' football. And stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Whoa.

Talkin' football. And stuff.
    Need me back in the "flags that aren't flags at the US Open" thread?

Jets Insider VIP
    It says what some of us have been saying for awhile that the Jets offensive position players are not good!!!!

This idea that if you had Joe Montanna throwing them the ball they would be Jerry Rice is called FF!!!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    That's not what it sounds like

Surprisingly, the Patriots released tight end Kellen Winslow on Thursday. Even more surprisingly, the move reportedly came at his request.

It has been widely speculated that Winslow decided he no longer could play with the chronic pain in his knee, presumably because he spoke in the days prior to his first game with the Patriots about playing with chronic pain in his knee. But Winslow has been playing with chronic pain in his knee for years.

Besides, if he wanted out because he decided he no longer could play with pain in his knee, wouldn’t he have retired?

There could be more to this story, especially since it came on a Thursday — after a Wednesday practice that didn’t result in Winslow’s name being placed on the injury report. Winslow said he “had to roll” out of Tampa because he didn’t care for coach Greg Schiano’s “toes on the line!” approach. Schiano and Belichick are friends, and some would say they have similar styles.

Or maybe (and “maybe” means “we’re speculating”) the team decided after a week or so that Winslow wasn’t going to be a good fit, but the team was willing to create the impression that the move came at his request.

Either way, if Winslow continues to seek NFL employment, it’ll mean the knee had nothing to do with the decision.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    He will be cheap and definitely worth a look no doubt, but some are acting like his chronic knee pain is no big deal and will not affect Winslow. That is simply not the case. Even if signed he will have to split time with Cumberland to keep his snaps down.