Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Patriots signed Tebow due to 'spirituality,' owner says (FOXnews.com)

Patriots signed Tebow due to 'spirituality,' owner says (FOXnews.com)

Patriots signed Tebow due to 'spirituality,' owner says

The New England Patriots reportedly signed polarizing quarterback Tim Tebow because of his “spirituality” and great attitude.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft made the admission on Wednesday at a charity event at Gillette Stadium honoring his late wife, filling the void by tight-lipped coach Bill Belichick regarding the team’s surprise decision to sign the quarterback as a backup to Tom Brady.

“For me personally, having Tim Tebow on this team, he’s someone who believes in spirituality, he’s very competitive, works hard and has a great attitude,” Kraft said. “He’s a winner, and the fact that spirituality is so important to him is very appealing to me.”

Tebow’s openly religious nature was an “added dimension,” Kraft said, and one that helped convince the Patriots to sign him to a two-year deal with no guaranteed money after five weeks on the NFL’s unemployment line.

Kraft even echoed a much-maligned comment by Jets owner Woody Johnson, who said last summer that “you can never have enough Tebow,” despite the fact that the former University of Florida star watched most of last season from the sidelines prior to being released in April.

“You can’t have enough good people around you, and [Tebow] has the added dimension of spirituality being so important to him, and that personally appeals to me a lot,” Kraft said.

Belichick, meanwhile, was mum on Tuesday when asked how Tebow was performing during the first day of the team’s three-day mandatory minicamp.

“We’re not going to get into a minute-by-minute evaluation of a player,” Belichick told reporters. “I don’t think that’s the way to go, especially at this time of year.”

Kraft even compared the atypical, left-handed quarterback favorably to three-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady and Ryan Mallett, a highly-touted rookie backup.

“Watching Tebow throw [Tuesday in a minicamp workout], to me, he looked pretty good,” Kraft said. “It’s fun having him here. It’s nice to have three quarterbacks who can throw it really well.”

All NFL teams are currently allowed to have two players who only have to speak to the media once per week and the Patriots announced on Wednesday that Tebow and Brady were selected.

Kraft has said repeatedly he doesn’t want Brady to come off the field when the Patriots are on offense and downplayed the prospect of Tebow being used at quarterback in a gadget-play situation.

“In my mind, we have the greatest quarterback of all time on our team,” Kraft said. “And every time he has the ball in his hand, we have a chance to do something great. Nothing has changed in that regard for me.”

Brady, meanwhile, didn’t seem too moved by that possibility either.

“That’s a very hypothetical question,” Brady said. “So maybe we’ll deal with it if it happens.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2013/0...#ixzz2W7cd6Ctq
    Last edited by Churchill; 06-13-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    maybe when they get a first hand look at how crappy a football player he is, they'll sign him to a slot as Team Chaplain

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    maybe when they get a first hand look at how crappy a football player he is, they'll sign him to a slot as Team Chaplain
    Sg3 brings the lel

Hall Of Fame
    Haha...

Kraft knows he's going to burn in the seven hells with Belicheat...

Tebow will earn them NO brownie points. In fact, I would bet that Jesus himself would be disgusted with Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    OMFG

Jets Insider VIP
    LMFAO, isn't Kraft Jewish?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    I don't know how you were able to embolden all of those sentences without retching.

Blech.

I didn't really hate Tebow before, but I sure as f uck do now.

Didn't Kraft even say "you can never have enough Tebow"? That or something close to what Woody said. Odd.

Hall Of Fame
    screw the spirituality stuff

we seem to look for players with drugs, weapons, and 80 children

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    WOAH DUDE..... I think you may be on to something!

Bill is Judas and Kraft is going to execute Tebow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eujCeBC4Lh0

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    maybe Tebow has a 19 year old sister that needs "life advice".

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Didn't Kraft even say "you can never have enough Tebow"? That or something close to what Woody said. Odd.
    The exact quote is "you can never have enough spirituality". Funny coming from the cheating franchise owner.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    The exact quote is "you can never have enough spirituality". Funny coming from the cheating franchise owner.
    You nailed it; the Boston GLobe is just NOW reporting "CHEATER KRAFT COVERING AFTERLIFE BASES BY SIGNING JESUS JR."

Hall Of Fame
    So God told Kraft to do it? What the heck, it worked for them with Goodell after Spygate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    You nailed it; the Boston GLobe is just NOW reporting "CHEATER KRAFT COVERING AFTERLIFE BASES BY SIGNING JESUS JR."
    That headline is full of win. Is there a Pulitzer for headlines?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    LMFAO!!! Are you serious?! BOSTON GLOBE wrote that?!

EPIC!!!

All League
    I hope he distracts the hell out of them. Billy Boy is going to hate all the press hounding him on every breath of air or blink of the eyes that Tebow takes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    LMFAO!!! Are you serious?! BOSTON GLOBE wrote that?!

EPIC!!!
    Uhh.....

ANYWAY, someone needs to post that video of sloppy drunken Kraft rehearsing a scene with his young actress who-ah

All League

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Uhh.....

ANYWAY, someone needs to post that video of sloppy drunken Kraft rehearsing a scene with his young actress who-ah
    uhh what???

If that was the actual headline that's HILARIOUS! They NEVER acknowledge them as cheaters up there!