Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Non-Jet, non HOF player

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Favorite Non-Jet, non HOF player

I'm tired of all the Jet speculation. It's time to appreciate the great players who have played in the NFL and for whatever reason are not HOF'ers.

Mine is easy.

He was everything you wanted in a QB. He had size and a Rifle arm. He could even run. But most of all he was tough as nails and competed as hard as any player I've ever seen. Some may not remember Bert Jones since his career was shortened due to shoulder and back injuries, but his talents were not lost on those in the know. Bill Bellichik say Jones was the best pure passer he's ever seen. Ernie Acorsi says that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins says Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. Greg Buttle believes that Jones was the greatest QB ever to play the game because no one has ever had his combination of passing ability, arm strength, fearlessness, fire, and running ability.

During the 3 seasons he was healthy with a decent team around him, Bert Jones won 3 division titles with seasons of 10-4; 11-3; and 10-4 from 1975 through 1977 (before he was injured in 1978). During those 3 seasons he was 634/1080; 58.7%; 8273 yards; 59 td; 28 int. The numbers may not seem great today, but this was the age when DB's could mug receivers all over the field and QB's were fair game. Jones was sacked 93 times over this 3 years but fumbled only 7 times! -- losing only 3 of them. He also ran for 681 yards and 7 TD's. There was no one tougher than Bert.

In 1976, when he was only 25 years old, Bert Jones posted one of only 3 seasons in the decade of the 70's where a QB had a passer rating of over 100. (Staubach '71 and Stabler '76 had the other 2). In 1976, Jones had a 102.5 passer rating: 207/343; 60.3%; 3104 yards; 24 td; 9 int; 2 rushing td; 214 yards rushing. That was beastly season for the times. D lineman could take a QB's head off and lay him out after the pass was released. Also, DB's like Mel Blount were kicking WR's butts all over the field. Jones was spectacular that season. And while he was not surrounded by Jags, his teammates (with the exception of Roger Carr) were nothing special.

Recently the NFL network ranked Jones 1976 season as one of the top 10 all time seasons for a quarterback. It was nice to see him recognized for his play. It occurred to me that others may have favorite non-jet, non HOF'ers that they feel never got their due. Well, there is no time like the present to give these players the recognition they truly deserve.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, same for me. I remember how he came in and made everyone forget Unitas with his play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Largent

8 time All Pro and better numbers that many HOF receivers.

Caught everything....clutch

EDIT: Nevermind... thought he didn't make it...he's in HOF...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since Steve Largent doesn't qualify... Mark Bavaro. Used to love watching him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    Since Steve Largent doesn't qualify... Mark Bavaro. Used to love watching him.
    I think Bavaro and my minds eye sees this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuG0wbo5ts

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I think Bavaro and my minds eye sees this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQuG0wbo5ts
    Funny that Morris is in that clip too because I thought of him when I thought of that old Giants team.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jones was fun to watch. Definitely had a cannon. I mostly remember him getting crushed behind that crappy oline.

I always liked Albert Lewis of the Chiefs

He didn't have a stellar NFL career but I loved following Hugh Green at Pitt and that carried on through his pro days.

Current player...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Billy "White Shoes" Johnson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Harry "Chuck" Muncy

Heard about this when i was a kid and always pulled for him.

When he was six, Muncie was hit by a truck, breaking his thigh, leg, hip, and arm. He was in a cast from his neck to his toes for six months, and doctors warned that he might never be able to walk properly again.[4] Muncie recovered to become a multi-sport athlete, but the accident left his left leg shorter than his right. He compensated by playing with a shoe with an extra-thick sole

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    BO Knows

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was always a big Bavaro fan growing up. When we drafted Kyle Brady I had Bavaro like aspirations for him. When Parcells hired Bavaro I thought it would make Brady improve... Man was I wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by djaparz View Post
    I was always a big Bavaro fan growing up. When we drafted Kyle Brady I had Bavaro like aspirations for him. When Parcells hired Bavaro I thought it would make Brady improve... Man was I wrong.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrenegade View Post
    BO Knows

Loved Bo.

Roger Craig for about 3 years, that high knee action.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Loved Bo.

never got to see jim brown i was to young but i am assuming bo is the closest i saw he would run over and away from you truly a remarkable athlete.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ken Stabler. Best QB I ever saw not in.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I first started watching football as a kid, I always loved James Brooks b/c he did a lot of different things that most RBs didn't do those days. He was one of the first RBs who kinda did a little bit of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F68uk_EKCrs

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve Bartkowski
    Jim Zorn
    Ken Anderson
    John Jefferson
    Jim Burt
    Gary Reasons

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bo's a great one...electric when healthy. Unlimited potential.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    for me it was William “The Refrigerator” Perry

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    Loved Bo.

EXACTLY. Not sure how much of a #33 fanboy you are, but I remember this day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_cOctUzgSY