Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the New York Jets Are Headed for Disaster in 2013

Why the New York Jets Are Headed for Disaster in 2013

From Bleacher report comes this trash article..

After a 2012 season in which the New York Jets won six games and finished the year 30th in the NFL in total offense, fans of Gang Green no doubt figured the team had hit rock bottom.

Unfortunately, it appears that rock bottom will be coming again in 2013.

The biggest reason why is the one thing that separates the haves from the have-nots in the NFL, and the playoff teams from the bottom feeders.

Quarterback play.

The battle to start under center for the Jets may end up being over before it started, at least if recent reports are any indication.

As Mike Vorkunov of The Newark Star-Ledger reports, rookie second-round pick Geno Smith is having trouble learning the nuances of Marty Morninwheg's West Coast offense.

Quarterbacks coach David Lee stated that there are "no similarities whatsoever" between New York's offense and the one Smith ran at West Virginia, and while head coach Rex Ryan tried to put a positive spin on things he admitted that Smith is far from ready for the NFL.

His steps -- dropbacks -- his mechanics footwork wise weren't dialed in the way they'll have to be at this level. I think some of that is your five and seven step drops, it's all new to him. But sometimes you can't even notice it. Because when he's on, the guy is absolutely terrific. We knew that it's not an easy process but it's one that I have confidence that when we get to Cortland, I think when the thing goes I think you're going to see the guy keep improving and improving and improving.

Ryan also confessed that Smith is "struggling with the basic things". That throws a large bucket of cold water on the prospects of Smith starting early in the 2013 season, which leaves a single, horrifying reality.

Mark Sanchez will probably be the Jets starting quarterback in Week 1.

Sanchez was an absolute nightmare in 2012. His confidence was shattered by a never-ending torrent of badly thrown passes and turnovers. By season's end he'd been benched, he had twice as many turnovers as touchdowns, and he ranked next to last at the quarterback position according to Pro Football Focus (subscription required).

At least one player thinks that Sanchez can bounce back this year, as wide receiver Santonio Holmes threw his support behind the fifth-year pro according to Jane McManus of ESPN.

[Sanchez is] going to be our guy. Coaches brought him back and they kept him on this team for a reason. He's a great leader and he's got great potential and he's excited about this season upcoming, and so am I.

Not to rain on Santonio's parade, but I'm pretty sure the cap hit the Jets would have incurred by releasing Sanchez thanks to the ridiculous extension he signed last year had a lot to do with the Jets keeping him around.

It's also a little ironic to hear this enthusiasm coming from a player who just admitted that he may not be ready for the start of the season according to Chris Wesseling of NFL.com.

And that's the thing. The Jets' issues where the passing attack is concerned go way beyond the quarterback position.

Holmes' Lisfranc injury leaves his Week 1 availability up in the air. Stephen Hill, who the Jets are counting on to emerge as an offensive threat in his second NFL season, has been on and off the practice field while nursing a knee injury. Dustin Keller departed for Miami in free agency, leaving undrafted free agent Jeff Cumberland as the team's top tight end.

The offensive line was an issue in 2012 as well. According to Football Outsiders, while the Jets were an effective run blocking unit they were terrible in pass protection, ranking 30th in the NFL while allowing 47 sacks.

Will the New York Jets win six games in 2013?

Yes, the Jets signed free-agent guards Willie Colon and Stephen Peterman. However, expecting a huge improvement due to the addition of Pro Football Focus' (subscription required) 35th and 38th-ranked guards in 2012 is wishful thinking.

In short, the entire New York passing offense is one big question mark (at best).

"So what?" fans will ask. Win with defense and running the football. Rock it old school.

That only goes so far. The bottom five teams in the NFL last year in passing offense (Kansas City, Minnesota, the Jets, Chicago and Arizona) were a combined 33-47. Take out the team that has an Adrian Peterson, and that number drops to 23-41.

The Jets do not have an Adrian Peterson.

The cold reality of today's NFL is that sooner or later, in order to win with any consistency, a team is going to have to be able to move the ball through the air.

With Sanchez at quarterback, a shaky group of receivers and a leaky offensive line, there's little reason to think that the New York Jets are going to be able to do that in 2013.

And that's going to make even hitting six wins this season a tall order.

Hall Of Fame
    I think we got a shot. Anything can happen.

Defense Wins Championships

Geno hasn't had much time to master this offense - give him a chance. Obviously nobody expects the Jets to be a juggernaut this season but I would rather go into a year with no expectations and surprise than go into a season with high expectations and suck.

Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    The offensive line was an issue in 2012 as well. According to Football Outsiders, while the Jets were an effective run blocking unit they were terrible in pass protection, ranking 30th in the NFL while allowing 47 sacks.
    So much for stats. PFF had us ranked 3rd in the NFL overall. Our new FAs and draft picks only position us to be even better.

Whats PFF?

I just think it's ridiculous to draw conclusions in June about a team with so much turnover. From last year's roster...

Ferguson
    Mangold
    Holmes
    Hill (or Kerley)
    Wilkerson
    Harris
    Cromartie

...are the only sure starters returning. The Jets could have up to 15 new players in starting roles to open the season. Only in the mind of a true pessimist is that a guaranteed "disaster."

I realize most signs are pointing to a bad year, but damn, how can you not at least hold out that last bit of hope that the team will compete?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

wow, a moron reporter comparing teams off of May camp.

Cool, he knows not only who will play QB but how they will play and how good the rest of the division, conference and league will be.

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Not anymore, unfortunately the Jets head coach didn't get the memo.

All the rule changes with PI and the like have really tilted the emphasis onto the offense. You need to have a good offense to win in the new NFL.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    and statz. don't forget about the statz.

QB play, huh? How'd we all miss that one.

Jets Insider VIP
    We are doomed!!!

The bleacher report says so and who can argue with the well known brilliance and reliability of the bleacher report.

What with both the bleacher report AND football gurus such as SAR, sarasthustra and rextilleon all in agreement, the only solution is obviously to cancel the season and get ready for 2014

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Whats PFF?
    Pro Football Focus, pretty respected around here I think. Anyway, I've posted the link a dozen times but everyone here seems to want to wallow in the 2011 turnstile days so don't acknowledge it:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...nsive-lines/4/

3. New York Jets (12)

PB – 7th, RB – 3rd, PEN – 3rd
    Stud: There were plenty of contenders here, but given some of the guys he kept in check, credit to D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+23.5) for a fine year.

Dud: The run blocking of Matt Slauson (+2.5) left a lot to be desired.

Summary: Everybody wants to poke fun at the Jets, and for some reason the offensive line got caught in the crossfire. It wasn’t quite its dominant self in the early weeks of the season, but they finishing playing as well as any team. Nick Mangold and Brandon Moore played angry, while Austin Howard found his feet as an NFL tackle. Still, a line can only do so much to put skill players in position to do good things, and in that regard the Jets are sorely lacking.

Cherry picking every bad quote made about Geno will lead to this sad attempt at baiting.

The writer also seems to not understand the concept of the draft, as Colon and Peterson are far from the only offensive linemen we've added. Someone needs to tell this poor boy that Winters' coming.

When the Jets are in playoff contention late this year, all writers are going to be stumbling over themselves to write the "who saw THAT coming" article. These articles will all act like Coples, Kerley, Wilkerson, Ivory, all fell from the sky midseason. Because the Jets don't have any good players on their roster NOW, that would be impossible.

Right now, "Jets are the worst team in the league" is an easy narrative for Joe Sports Fan and his marginal brain to understand, so that's what the kids on bleacher report and the creepers who write for the mainstream outlets pounce on.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Cherry picking every bad quote made about Geno will lead to this sad attempt at baiting.

The writer also seems to not understand the concept of the draft, as Colon and Peterson are far from the only offensive linemen we've added. Someone needs to tell this poor boy that Winters' coming.

When the Jets are in playoff contention late this year, all writers are going to be stumbling over themselves to write the "who saw THAT coming" article. These articles will all act like Coples, Kerley, Wilkerson, Ivory, all fell from the sky midseason. Because the Jets don't have any good players on their roster NOW, that would be impossible.

Right now, "Jets are the worst team in the league" is an easy narrative for Joe Sports Fan and his marginal brain to understand, so that's what the kids on bleacher report and the creepers who write for the mainstream outlets pounce on.
    Well done. I don't know about playoff contention, but I think the Jets will be at least average. Their weak link, as we all know, will be WR, unless Holmes gets healthy fast and Hill can actually catch the ball. Winslow will at least make us respectable at TE, assuming he can stay healthy. The Jets are a team that has so many "ifs" right now it's hard to know which way they will land. Can't tell anything at this point...

Practice Squad
    Does anyone on here think a 9-7 season taking second place in the AFC East will allow us to back into the playoffs?

Or do you think we need a minimum 10-6 record? I just don't see that. But it's only May. We sign a good FA WR and things can change in a hurry.

All League
    lol@bleacherreport

Quote Originally Posted by Cablebob View Post
    Does anyone on here think a 9-7 season taking second place in the AFC East will allow us to back into the playoffs?

Or do you think we need a minimum 10-6 record? I just don't see that. But it's only May. We sign a good FA WR and things can change in a hurry.
    Another ray of sunshine thread, it's bleacher for FS there will be another article on the flip side titled "why the jets can make the playoffs" next week.

To answer your question cable yes I think 9-7 will get us in, I think the AFC will be weak again and 9-7 should be good enough for one of those wild card spots.

Excellent, the more people write the Jets off the better.

4-12. Everyone is fired.