Post Thanks / Like

U.S. Begins Planning to Send Weapons to Syrian Rebels

And maybe more.

Good idea?

Bad idea?

Why?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this means Susan Rice and Samantha Power have Obama's ear.

We cannot simply aide them and then walk away once the battle is "won". We need to make sure a stable government is set up. Part of the reason why radical Islam is spreading in the region is because of the instability of the governments. Power vacuums are worse than the dictators.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Besides Hesbollah, who are the rebels? Who exactly are we arming and how soon will those weapons be turned on Israel and/or fall into Al Queda hands? Just don't know enough to answer...

Bueller? Bueller?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Who exactly are we arming and how soon will those weapons be turned on Israel and/or fall into Al Queda hands? Just don't know enough to answer...

Bueller? Bueller?
    Exactly.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Obama is justified. He's a Nobel Peace prize winner.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a dangerous game, that's for sure. I would say it is a bad idea given the history of instability in the region.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm fine with planning to send weapons. Its Sending the weapons that's a crappy idea. It's always good to have military guys planning rather than blowing **** up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weren't we better off when we just pouted and looked disapproving but stayed out of it?

I blame the French. F'n frogs....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Libya part 2. Mad dog McCain strikes again!

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    I'm fine with planning to send weapons. Its Sending the weapons that's a crappy idea. It's always good to have military guys planning rather than blowing **** up.
    Wilburrrrr

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When the hell is this government both Dems and republicans going to learn to mind our own business. Why the hell do we have to be the worlds policeman. I fear once again that after the initial use of these weapons against the Syrian government forces they will be used against us.
    There is no end to this insanity in this part of the world, they have been killing each other for centuries. Once the government falls they will be at each other like wild beast fighting over a dead carcass, take it to the bank people.
    The only true stable leadership any of these countries know how to function under is either a strongman Stalin type or as in Iran, some idiot or group of idiots who professes to be translating the word of God to the people.
    Either way it always spells nothing but trouble for strong democracies around the world.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have no business in Syria. Let the government there do as it wants with the rebels. They will weaken each other. Without help the rebels lose. Good. They are Al Qaeda. same as giving arms to the fine Egyptians. And Libyans. They love us?
    Afghanistan was different. Elements there attacked us. Iraq was merely an ongoing conflict from 1991 which was unresolved- perhaps Saddam's chemical weapons are in Assad's hands.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MnJetFan View Post
    Libya part 2. Mad dog McCain strikes again!
    They're our Frenshs an I'm a mavrick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So F16s have been placed in Jordan along with patriot missile batteries.
    We may be doing a no fly zone over Syria. I'm concerned about losing planes and pilots to Russian made missiles.
    Why? To divert attention from internal scandals. This one the American people want no part of.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by palmetto defender View Post
    So F16s have been placed in Jordan along with patriot missile batteries.
    We may be doing a no fly zone over Syria. I'm concerned about losing planes and pilots to Russian made missiles.
    Why? To divert attention from internal scandals. This one the American people want no part of.
    MaCain wants to divert attention from scandals?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    MaCain wants to divert attention from scandals?
    I'm sorry, was I dreaming this past half decade and McCain won both Presidential elections?

Look, you can deflect, make jokes... Whatever.

You're a smart guy and you and I both know that defending Obama isn't getting any easier. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be to try and remain an ardent supporter after everything he's done. At the end of the day you can kick back and feel that it was better than the alternative. If that's the benchmark for politics in this country we're ruined...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post

I agree. We should try to stay out of this fiasco. But having the military make plans is always wise.

Some thoughts:

The threat of doing this and sending “small arms and ammunition” gives the rebels some room if they choose to cut a deal.

The CIA is getting really good with killing “middle management” type fighters in Afghanistan. IF this same tactic could be used in Syria it could break the back of the Syrian military. We start knocking off Colonels, Majors and Captains the Syrian army may take to their heels. I say IF because I do not know if predators can operate in a theatre in which we do not control the sky.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This move is indefensible. There is no helping these people. All this will do is prolong the violence and in the meantime arm those who have ill intentions towards us. Dumb dumb dumb.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I agree. We should try to stay out of this fiasco. But having the military make plans is always wise.

Some thoughts:

The threat of doing this and sending “small arms and ammunition” gives the rebels some room if they choose to cut a deal.

The CIA is getting really good with killing “middle management” type fighters in Afghanistan. IF this same tactic could be used in Syria it could break the back of the Syrian military. We start knocking off Colonels, Majors and Captains the Syrian army may take to their heels. I say IF because I do not know if predators can operate in a theatre in which we do not control the sky.
    And why is breaking the back of the Syrian army a good thing? We broke the back of the Iraq army and it cost us a Trillion dollars. Breaking the back of the organizations that can provide security shouldn't be our goal.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm definitely torn on this issue. If we get too involved in this thing it becomes about us rather then the rebels. That is not ideal. Also, the reports are that AQ is there mixed in with the rebel fighters. It's becoming more of a Sunni versus Shia type thing. To me that's bad and badder. On the flip side when a government kills over 100,000 of its people the world needs to be watchful.