Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Non-Jet, non HOF player

Hall Of Fame
    Great question.

Kurt Warner. Although I think he will be in the HOF one day.

Jets Insider VIP
    Greg Lloyd
    Kevin Greene
    Mike Alstott
    Bo Jackson
    Kenny Anderson

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Put me in for Bo as well

Bo Jackson, no doubt.

Christian Okoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OO-w04DUv4

Bo Jackson is far too easy a choice. He's only not a HOF because of injury tbqh. Almost good enough (if he was able to stay healthy) to be a two-sport HOF'er.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Ken Stabler. Best QB I ever saw not in.
    +1 He was great, what an arm. All those long accurate bombs that were completed regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Great question.

Kurt Warner. Although I think he will be in the HOF one day.
    Good pick. I would be very surprised if he didn't go in. Absolutely deserves to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by scott dierking II View Post
    Steve Bartkowski
    Jim Zorn
    Ken Anderson
    John Jefferson
    Jim Burt
    Gary Reasons

Greatest NFL hit I ever, ever saw:

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjets23 View Post
    When I first started watching football as a kid, I always loved James Brooks b/c he did a lot of different things that most RBs didn't do those days. He was one of the first RBs who kinda did a little bit of everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F68uk_EKCrs
    I was a big James Brooks guy as a kid as well. He was a complete RB

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Christian Okoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OO-w04DUv4

Bo Jackson is far too easy a choice. He's only not a HOF because of injury tbqh. Almost good enough (if he was able to stay healthy) to be a two-sport HOF'er.
    Okoye looked unstoppable until Steve Atwater wrecked his ass

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I liked John Riggins. Was too young to see him as a Jet but appreciated his game.

I also liked to watch Randall Cunningham play, mostly because he gave the Giants fits and I always root against big blew.

Anyone putting a Giant on their list is not a Jets fan.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    I liked John Riggins. Was too young to see him as a Jet but appreciated his game.

I also liked to watch Randall Cunningham play, mostly because he gave the Giants fits and I always root against big blew.

Anyone putting a Giant on their list is not a Jets fan.
    What he says is true, People! I felt dirty watching that...that...yuuchh

All Pro
    Don Mattingly

Jets Insider VIP

Yes, the Dick Shiner.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Don Mattingly

no doubt bert jones was quite a qb. too bad he liked going head to head with lb's and safeties. fouts wishes he was so good.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'm tired of all the Jet speculation. It's time to appreciate the great players who have played in the NFL and for whatever reason are not HOF'ers.

Mine is easy.

He was everything you wanted in a QB. He had size and a Rifle arm. He could even run. But most of all he was tough as nails and competed as hard as any player I've ever seen. Some may not remember Bert Jones since his career was shortened due to shoulder and back injuries, but his talents were not lost on those in the know. Bill Bellichik say Jones was the best pure passer he's ever seen. Ernie Acorsi says that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins says Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. Greg Buttle believes that Jones was the greatest QB ever to play the game because no one has ever had his combination of passing ability, arm strength, fearlessness, fire, and running ability.

During the 3 seasons he was healthy with a decent team around him, Bert Jones won 3 division titles with seasons of 10-4; 11-3; and 10-4 from 1975 through 1977 (before he was injured in 1978). During those 3 seasons he was 634/1080; 58.7%; 8273 yards; 59 td; 28 int. The numbers may not seem great today, but this was the age when DB's could mug receivers all over the field and QB's were fair game. Jones was sacked 93 times over this 3 years but fumbled only 7 times! -- losing only 3 of them. He also ran for 681 yards and 7 TD's. There was no one tougher than Bert.

In 1976, when he was only 25 years old, Bert Jones posted one of only 3 seasons in the decade of the 70's where a QB had a passer rating of over 100. (Staubach '71 and Stabler '76 had the other 2). In 1976, Jones had a 102.5 passer rating: 207/343; 60.3%; 3104 yards; 24 td; 9 int; 2 rushing td; 214 yards rushing. That was beastly season for the times. D lineman could take a QB's head off and lay him out after the pass was released. Also, DB's like Mel Blount were kicking WR's butts all over the field. Jones was spectacular that season. And while he was not surrounded by Jags, his teammates (with the exception of Roger Carr) were nothing special.

Recently the NFL network ranked Jones 1976 season as one of the top 10 all time seasons for a quarterback. It was nice to see him recognized for his play. It occurred to me that others may have favorite non-jet, non HOF'ers that they feel never got their due. Well, there is no time like the present to give these players the recognition they truly deserve.

Randy moss by far. Most electrifying player I've ever seen run with a football. He had everything - unreal speed, acceleration, height, hands, awareness and football iq. A lot of NFL fans get caught up with his attitude and off field antics, but when you remove those things from the equation, he's easily the best WR of all time talent-wise. Maybe the most talented player in nfl history, period.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Ken Stabler. Best QB I ever saw not in.
    +1 And he was just fun to watch!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member