Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Non-Jet, non HOF player

All Pro
    Sterling Sharpe. Just a monster a WR

I agree on Kurt Warner, and I think he'll go in to the Hall. I loved watching those Rams teams.

Kordell "Slash" Stewart.

Loved watching him play a variety of positions, and playing them well. He was really exciting to watch in the 90's.

Honorable mention: Jim Harbaugh and Drew Bledsoe.

Jets Insider VIP
    PLAXICO And David Tyree isn't it obvious.

Bavaro, Jim Burt, .

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

#49 at the bottom of the pile

# 1 in the hearts of all NFL fans
    That's great......

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'm tired of all the Jet speculation. It's time to appreciate the great players who have played in the NFL and for whatever reason are not HOF'ers.

Mine is easy.

He was everything you wanted in a QB. He had size and a Rifle arm. He could even run. But most of all he was tough as nails and competed as hard as any player I've ever seen. Some may not remember Bert Jones since his career was shortened due to shoulder and back injuries, but his talents were not lost on those in the know. Bill Bellichik say Jones was the best pure passer he's ever seen. Ernie Acorsi says that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins says Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. Greg Buttle believes that Jones was the greatest QB ever to play the game because no one has ever had his combination of passing ability, arm strength, fearlessness, fire, and running ability.

During the 3 seasons he was healthy with a decent team around him, Bert Jones won 3 division titles with seasons of 10-4; 11-3; and 10-4 from 1975 through 1977 (before he was injured in 1978). During those 3 seasons he was 634/1080; 58.7%; 8273 yards; 59 td; 28 int. The numbers may not seem great today, but this was the age when DB's could mug receivers all over the field and QB's were fair game. Jones was sacked 93 times over this 3 years but fumbled only 7 times! -- losing only 3 of them. He also ran for 681 yards and 7 TD's. There was no one tougher than Bert.

In 1976, when he was only 25 years old, Bert Jones posted one of only 3 seasons in the decade of the 70's where a QB had a passer rating of over 100. (Staubach '71 and Stabler '76 had the other 2). In 1976, Jones had a 102.5 passer rating: 207/343; 60.3%; 3104 yards; 24 td; 9 int; 2 rushing td; 214 yards rushing. That was beastly season for the times. D lineman could take a QB's head off and lay him out after the pass was released. Also, DB's like Mel Blount were kicking WR's butts all over the field. Jones was spectacular that season. And while he was not surrounded by Jags, his teammates (with the exception of Roger Carr) were nothing special.

Recently the NFL network ranked Jones 1976 season as one of the top 10 all time seasons for a quarterback. It was nice to see him recognized for his play. It occurred to me that others may have favorite non-jet, non HOF'ers that they feel never got their due. Well, there is no time like the present to give these players the recognition they truly deserve.
    Bert was like a LB at QB, he had the strongest arm I ever saw

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    Greatest NFL hit I ever, ever saw:

Dream hit for any LB..Gary was a very good player

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Don Mattingly
    But not DM the manager...

All League
    Greg Lloyd
    Moose Johnson
    Mike Alstott
    Natron Means
    Devin Hester (even though he'll be there someday).

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    non JET----chowds cant read?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    brain dead, it's a prerequisite for chowdership

Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    **** off troll

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SRQman87 View Post
    Randy moss by far. A lot of NFL fans get caught up with his attitude and off field antics, but when you remove those things from the equation, he's easily the best WR of all time talent-wise.
    Take away the c*ck and b*lls from the transvestite hooker you pay to bang and you may even be able to tell your friends about it

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    brain dead, it's a prerequisite for chowdership
    Went right over your heads.

**** off troll
    +1

Yeah I honestly can't believe they didn't get it either. Mo Lewis can eat **** for what he did to his own team, but pat1960 is just being a douche for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'm tired of all the Jet speculation. It's time to appreciate the great players who have played in the NFL and for whatever reason are not HOF'ers.

Mine is easy.

He was everything you wanted in a QB. He had size and a Rifle arm. He could even run. But most of all he was tough as nails and competed as hard as any player I've ever seen. Some may not remember Bert Jones since his career was shortened due to shoulder and back injuries, but his talents were not lost on those in the know. Bill Bellichik say Jones was the best pure passer he's ever seen. Ernie Acorsi says that if Bert Jones had played under different circumstances, he probably would have been the greatest player ever. John Riggins says Bert was the toughest competitor he has ever witnessed. Greg Buttle believes that Jones was the greatest QB ever to play the game because no one has ever had his combination of passing ability, arm strength, fearlessness, fire, and running ability.

During the 3 seasons he was healthy with a decent team around him, Bert Jones won 3 division titles with seasons of 10-4; 11-3; and 10-4 from 1975 through 1977 (before he was injured in 1978). During those 3 seasons he was 634/1080; 58.7%; 8273 yards; 59 td; 28 int. The numbers may not seem great today, but this was the age when DB's could mug receivers all over the field and QB's were fair game. Jones was sacked 93 times over this 3 years but fumbled only 7 times! -- losing only 3 of them. He also ran for 681 yards and 7 TD's. There was no one tougher than Bert.

In 1976, when he was only 25 years old, Bert Jones posted one of only 3 seasons in the decade of the 70's where a QB had a passer rating of over 100. (Staubach '71 and Stabler '76 had the other 2). In 1976, Jones had a 102.5 passer rating: 207/343; 60.3%; 3104 yards; 24 td; 9 int; 2 rushing td; 214 yards rushing. That was beastly season for the times. D lineman could take a QB's head off and lay him out after the pass was released. Also, DB's like Mel Blount were kicking WR's butts all over the field. Jones was spectacular that season. And while he was not surrounded by Jags, his teammates (with the exception of Roger Carr) were nothing special.

Recently the NFL network ranked Jones 1976 season as one of the top 10 all time seasons for a quarterback. It was nice to see him recognized for his play. It occurred to me that others may have favorite non-jet, non HOF'ers that they feel never got their due. Well, there is no time like the present to give these players the recognition they truly deserve.
    He was a helluva player, hated his guts as a kid

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Bo Jackson and David Fulcher, mostly for Tecmo Bowl reasons.
    Haha, those guys tore it up in Tecmo, just recently bought my son an NES and Tecmo Super Bowl, he loves it

I'd have to say Robert Newhouse, he was everything a fullback should be on those great Cowboy teams
    Last edited by Mohegangreen; 06-16-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Yeah I honestly can't believe they didn't get it either. Mo Lewis can eat **** for what he did to his own team, but pat1960 is just being a douche for no reason.
    Yes, openly celebrating the injury of a player is much, much better. There's nothing more flattering for a player than his opposing fans rooting for his injury or waiting for his retirement. Every reference to Bernard Pollard is just another notch on the belt.

And my answer is Deion Sanders. Prime Time!
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-16-2013 at 11:10 AM.