Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Jets sign Kellen Winslow

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    'Winslow is faster and with better hands, a much better athlete and can be a difference maker.

Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    i

nice try

Keller has been invisible for the last two years, after being average for the first two.

and out with more phantom injuries most of the time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If keller is so awesome, where was his long term deal? Who lined up to sign him?

He had minimal interest at best on the FA market and wound up with a 1 year deal.

Do I think he would have better numbers with a quality QB, yes, but he has never been a TE that can both catch and block....so therefore he is limited as a player.
    Plus, Keller can not make anyone miss, he's not great a great runner. His problem is he has no giddy up from stop to start, that's why defenders drop him so easy with shoelace tackles, the guy has no wiggle & short area speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sourceworx View Post
    We just upgraded from Dustin Keller with a low-priced free agent off the street. This is anything but a bad move.
    I wouldn't call it an upgrade but Winslow if he can stay on the field is by far our best TE and maybe receiver on the entire team. I can see us using double-TE sets alot next year with Reuland in-line and Winslow split wide. We have no playmakers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good signing, but Cumby and Hayden need to step up as well. TE situation seems better than it did last season for sure. We won't miss Keller.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keller has all the physical tools. But he is a mental midget. Winslow is mentally strong and has the same physical skills. Definite upgrade with MM drawing the plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Keller has all the physical tools. But he is a mental midget. Winslow is mentally strong and has the same physical skills. Definite upgrade with MM drawing the plays.
    Winslow is way taller. Boxes out better. Beasts the jam. Better feel for zones. Catches with his hands,. Can jump, and snatch the ball at it's highest point. He's not a great blocker, but unlike Keller he doesn't miss his assignments, and never whiffs. He at least gets the right man, and slows him down.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Winslow is way taller. Boxes out better. Beasts the jam. Better feel for zones. Catches with his hands,. Can jump, and snatch the ball at it's highest point. He's not a great blocker, but unlike Keller he doesn't miss his assignments, and never whiffs. He at least gets the right man, and slows him down.

So we agree upgrade. LoL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot even believe some of the kool-aid drinking fools on this site.

You honestly think KW is an upgrade over DK??

First of all, Keller may be smaller but he actually had chermistry with our QB, something that is very few and far between any normal receiver and our QB.

Second, Keller may have been injured, but never to the extent KW has had injury concerns.

Honestly, the only thing that wouldn't be a stretch to say about Winslow right now is that he is likely a better blocker than Keller. But that still isn't saying much. Keller sucked as a blocker.

Winslow is no difference maker. That's f*cking absurd. Not at this late point in his career. If anything, there'll be major rust with Winslow due to inactivity.

He's also only a stop gap, unless Winslow has a major turnaround, he'll be cut at the end of the season. Difference maker? NO f*cking way...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seriously, MJ....some of us actually watched Keller as a Jet.

Here's my summary of this JAG

ONE big game against the Dolfags in his rookie year.

Couldn't block a nosebleed

Down for multiple games every season with mysterious injuries most NFL players play through every season.
    (Keller-out (sprained eyelash)

After rookie season...Becht-like in the drops department

Winslow as a cheap one year signing>>>> already better for the Jets than throwing away big UFA bucks for a JAG as the LOLphins did for Keller

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Seriously, MJ....some of us actually watched Keller as a Jet.

Here's my summary of this JAG

ONE big game against the Dolfags in his rookie year.

Couldn't block a nosebleed

Down for multiple games every season with mysterious injuries most NFL players play through every season.
    (Keller-out (sprained eyelash)

After rookie season...Becht-like in the drops department

Winslow as a cheap one year signing>>>> already better for the Jets than throwing away big UFA bucks for a JAG as the LOLphins did for Keller
    From a money standpoint, you're right, and really this may ultimately be why this happened.

But the other stuff? I really don't understand the level of disrespect/hate of Keller.

I was as upset as you were last season when he remained on the DL with what was described as a pulled hamstring. Most players play through that and if they have to miss some games? It is not normally anywhere near as long as it took Keller.

But these injuries are also not of the serious kind. Winslow has had serious injuries in his career. He's been unemployed for over a season now.

Becht like drops you say? I never saw that. I saw some drops but certainly not to the level that becht used to have with us.

There was once upon a time a statistic that said that when Keller caught a pass in the game, the Jets were like 15-1. To me, that was rather meaningful.

Now, if both Keller and Winslow are coming out of the draft at the same time, and Winslow's attitude doesn't suck buttermilk? I want Winslow ever day of the week. But that isn't what happened here. One guy came out drafted high, ran his mouth endlessly and wore out his welcome. Convinced many of that worn out welcome when he was injured all the time.

Another guy came barely in the 1st round and became Sanchez's safety out let. A guy that that a young, not very good QB needed. He never put out Gronk like numbers, but he was a matchup nightmare. He was a guy that made several crucial catches for the offense providing the offense the means to get a win.

He had some rather confusing, pu$$y like injury scenarios. But he also actually had chemistry with Sanchez. Where Sanchez is on our team, I would think it makes too much sense not to resign Keller. Especially, when you consider Keller did not get the big bucks he was hoping for.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe you are right about some of those points on Keller.

Where I think you may be wrong is your points about chemistry with Buttfumble because IMO the odds are 75-25 that Sucky has taken his last snap and committed his last turnover as the starting QB of the NYJ in 2013 and 100-0 for 2014

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So who's the backup? I doubt Winslow will make it out of the pre-season healthy.
    He is a high octane guy with a smartcar chassis.
    But here's hoping for the best as usual.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    So who's the backup? I doubt Winslow will make it out of the pre-season healthy.
    He is a high octane guy with a smartcar chassis.
    But here's hoping for the best as usual.
    The way I understand it his knee is very painful and that likely will keep his snap count down but he's not injury prone per se.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way way way too many amateur orthopedists with cracked crystal balls here on this topic. ..

Looked healthy enough to me last Tuesday, the best player on the field, frankly. Good chance he'll be on the field in 2013 long after Keller is down for Miami with another multi week sprained toenail