Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wilson

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)

Kyle Wilson

Kyle Wilson Wraps Up Best Offseason as a Pro
    Posted by Randy Lange on June 13, 2013 – 3:23 pm

Updated, 3:38 p.m. ET

There’s something different about Kyle Wilson this offseason, and it’s a lot more than the absence of the trademark dreadlocks the cornerback wore his first three seasons in green and white.

“I’m excited about where Kyle is,” head coach Rex Ryan said this morning before the start of the final practice of the Jets’ full-squad minicamp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center. “This is the best [offseason] he’s had, and its not close. I’ve been proud of the way he’s come into these OTAs, the way he’s competing.”

Wilson said there are no big secrets to the offseason he’s had.

“I’m just using my experience to my advantage,” he said. “I know exactly what to look for, I know why we’re calling stuff in different scenarios. I try to use that to think like a coach out there so I’m not having rookie mistakes. But you can see things and understand what we’re trying to do defensively to put myself in a better position.”

Wilson has a couple of things going for him in the Jets’ post-Island world. When Darrelle Revis went down for the season at Miami in Game 3, Kyle moved into Revis’ left corner spot for the last 13 games and 14 overall opposite Antonio Cromartie, giving him his most playing time as a pro — he averaged almost 60 defensive snaps a game playing either outside or in the slot.

The other element is the drafting of Dee Milliner ninth overall. Many assumed Milliner, the Alabama corner, was taken to plug into the starting lineup after Revis was traded to Tampa Bay the week of the draft.

“That’s wrong,” GM John Idzik said at the time. “It may be perceived that way, but the reality is Dee was one of our highest-ranked players, regardless of position on the board, so we took him.”

And the offseason reality has been that Milliner has been sidelined by his shoulder rehab as expected while Wilson has been picking up where he left off.

Motivation? “Yeah, it’s going to do something,” Wilson said in the locker room today before he and his teammates split for their last extended downtime of the year before the start of training camp. “But me just staying focused is going to help me out and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

“Certainly there’s going to be competition for that spot,” Ryan said. “Dee will have every opportunity to compete for that as well. You take a guy with the ninth overall pick for good reason. We’ll see how it goes.”

“Right now my focus is it doesn’t matter to me who’s here and who’s not here,” Wilson said. “I don’t think anything is going to change the way I go out there and perform on the field. That’s really my focus of getting better, doing my best personally to help out the team.”

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

He played well last year. I expect him to start at CB with the rook showing up in packages.

Hall Of Fame
    I can see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbalayaJet View Post
    He played well last year. I expect him to start at CB with the rook showing up in packages.

Milliner gets the nod to start opposite Cro for me, Wilson in his usual role in the nickel.

If Rex wants to play defence in his preferred way you need two very physical press corners.

Wilson only looked ok last season because nobody really passed on us, they did not need to as they could run the ball down our throats all year long. 2nd in pass defence was a deceptive stat that glorified Wilson.

Hall Of Fame
    Good points but in the NFL many players make a jump in season 4....regardless it's a good situation for the secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
    Milliner gets the nod to start opposite Cro for me, Wilson in his usual role in the nickel.

If Rex wants to play defence in his preferred way you need two very physical press corners.

Wilson only looked ok last season because nobody really passed on us, they did not need to as they could run the ball down our throats all year long. 2nd in pass defence was a deceptive stat that glorified Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Good points but in the NFL many players make a jump in season 4....regardless it's a good situation for the secondary.
    Agreed, if anything he showed he is a competent back up, quality depth in the secondary can only be a good thing.

Hall Of Fame
    Exactly....my real focus is at safety.....I like what I am hearing but I'll feel better once training camp and pre season starts.

Agreed, if anything he showed he is a competent back up, quality depth in the secondary can only be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak View Post
    Exactly....my real focus is at safety.....I like what I am hearing but I'll feel better once training camp and pre season starts.
    I see what's happening at the safety position as a positive, can't believe we started the season last year with two SS and no natural FS, and we still got ran all over.

It's about time we give our low end draft picks a chance to come through, safety has been a patched up position for the jets for far to long now.

Man I'm as much a Jets homer as anyone, but by law of averages there just have to be some pieces every offseason that are just fluff pieces. This reads like one of those "best shape of his life" stories you read in every baseball spring training.

I hope it's true, but not holding out much hope. This is the kind of article you usually look back on after the player in question screws up in X consecutive games, and just chuckle. Hoping #20 proves me wrong. And no more taunting after overthrown passes on which you were beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Man I'm as much a Jets homer as anyone, but by law of averages there just have to be some pieces every offseason that are just fluff pieces. This reads like one of those "best shape of his life" stories you read in every baseball spring training.

I hope it's true, but not holding out much hope. This is the kind of article you usually look back on after the player in question screws up in X consecutive games, and just chuckle. Hoping #20 proves me wrong. And no more taunting after overthrown passes on which you were beat.
    Single reason I can't stand the guy, can't believe he has not seen what an absolute idiot he looks when he does it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post

Speaking of which

Buttfumble6 in his presser after minicamp announced that his confidence is "sky high"

I guess that means he's planning to reduce his annual turnover total to 25 if, by some awful catastrophe, he starts at QB for the Jets in 2013.

By contrast, Smith makes no such empty boasts and just says he's working hard and trying to get better and be coached every day

Watch both at the Jets official site...

Jets Insider VIP
    Single reason I can't stand the guy, can't believe he has not seen what an absolute idiot he looks when he does it.
    Why not write to his head coach and ask that he tell him to stop because it annoys you?

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Why not write to his head coach and ask that he tell him to stop because it annoys you?
    You know what Kentucky that's some sound advice, I'm on it now, pen and paper at the ready.

Just hope it does not get lost in all Rex's fan mail.

Somehow this Kyle Wilson story sounds familiar. I think I read something similar 2 yrs ago that Revis was taking Wilson under his arm and Wilson was in great shape and be much improved and I think last year also. Every year we hear this same old Wilson story. That being said it better be true this time!

If you were talking about a 4th-5th round pick, I'd agree 100% with you. The fact that you are saying that about a #1 pick is sad. Nothing against you, but the player .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Somehow this Kyle Wilson story sounds familiar. I think I read something similar 2 yrs ago that Revis was taking Wilson under his arm and Wilson was in great shape and be much improved and I think last year also. Every year we hear this same old Wilson story. That being said it better be true this time!
    And in other news ...

- Ricky Sapp feels 100% healthy and is ready to surprise everyone
    - Hayden Smith is so much more comfortable now and is ready to surpsrise everyone
    - Vlad Ducasse has been working hard and is ready to surprise everyone

... and so on ...

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    If you were talking about a 4th-5th round pick, I'd agree 100% with you. The fact that you are saying that about a #1 pick is sad. Nothing against you, but the player .
    Well it is what it is, no doubt I would love to be talking about competent depth from a late round guy, but as fate would have it we whiffed on that pick and that depth now comes from a #1 pick.

I have just accepted Wilson for what he is, others still hold hope, time will tell I guess.

Glass half full, glass half empty, still think with Cro, Milliner, Wilson and Berry, we will have a CB crew that most team would kill for. I expect this bunch of guys will be no doubt in the top four in the NFL this season.
    If the D line pans out as I expect it will these guys could have a productive season and many picks.

All Pro
    I see what's happening at the safety position as a positive, can't believe we started the season last year with two SS and no natural FS, and we still got ran all over.

It's about time we give our low end draft picks a chance to come through, safety has been a patched up position for the jets for far to long now.
    Injuries at the NT. You need a good NT to stop the run. Devito is a good player, but not a very good NT. Nothing a safety can do when the nose gets pushed back off the line. We really weren't that bad most of the time, but gave up a lot of big plays, because of just that. lineman getting to the 2nd level is a big problem.