Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: While everyone's crying Jets will have some positives

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    While the general consensus is that the Jets will be a car wreck next year, there are positives to their offseason & draft.

1- The QB play can't be any worse than 2012! It would be impossible to duplicate. The Combo of Sanchez & Sparano might have been the worst ever in the NFL. Add to that losing your #1 receiver, #1 tight end, having a RB who runs like he's wearing blinders on and an Oline that had a LG ranked 32nd in the run game & a RG who was playing on bad hips & his last legs & has since been sent to pasture, well you get my drift.

2- The OG position will now have 5-6 players competing, including a veteran (Colon) that will win one position if healthy.
    That leaves 4 players vying for the remaining OG spot including our draft pick (Winters) who was considered one of the best guard prospects in the draft.

3- Unlike some people on this board, I have always felt Keller was an overrated TE. Believe me people there is not a huge drop off from Keller to Cumberland.
    It takes time to learn the TE position for an ex BBaller.
    Add Smith who is a total unknown & now a veteran like Winslow, you have the youngster Reauland, at least we are average at TE.

4- Dline. Might be the best Dline Rex has worked with in his career. Wilkerson is a stud, and he's still really young. Coples can be as good as he wants, Rex needs to keep on this kid. Richardson was rated by most NFL teams as the 1st or 2nd best DT in the entire draft & after seeing where Floyd was taken, I think he was the best, and most NFL teams agreed. Add in Garay, Ellis, & Snacks, they have depth, youth & experience, a great combo.

5- Seconday. Cro is a top 5 corner in this league. Wilson has experience. Milliner was the consensus #1 corner in college football, plus people forget about Berry, who adds size & experience. Everything will revolve around the young Safeties, but even Landry has experience so we are looking for 1 guy to come forward & we are certain whoever that is will have more range than Smith or Leonard ever had.

6- RBs. This is where we will have a huge upgrade. Going from Mr. Blinders, 2 yards & a cloud of dust, I run right into the tackle Greene, to a guy like Ivory, a player like Goodsen that has the speed to get to the corner & a consistent player like Powell who reminds me a lot like Faulk who played in New England, that is a big upgrade.
    This RB upgrade added to the Oline upgrades will help whomever plays QB.

The largest ? Mark regarding the 2013 NY Jets is obviously QB play & the wide receivers. It won't happen overnight but I believe MM will be able to have something that resembles an NFL offense.
    We will finally use the running game to set up some screens, take some shots in the seams with the TEs, and hopefully at least give our defense some rest.

When you have strengths in this league at both lines, a solid secondary & running game, if you have a great year on special teams , you can compete with any team, you might not win but you give yourself that chance in the 4th quarter to be within striking distance that one big play, punt return, kickoff return, interception, or strip sack on defense puts you in position to kick a field goal or maybe have a chance for a winning TD throw with seconds left in the game.
    Parcells won many games like this. I love the Rex, MM combo, both aggressive SOBs. I'm looking forward to this season, knowing that in 2014 we are loaded with draft picks & will have a lot of money in free agency, but are run by a more thoughtful conservative approach in Idzik.
    With Brady close to retirement, the next 6-7 years could be very interesting.

Great post

Position battles that have me intrigued

S, the knowns are Allen and Bush, but the Jarrett pick-up and the UDFSA Milesz adds for an interesting competition to watch in training camp, I'd like to see Jarrrett emerge, former 2nd round pick out of Temple just a couple of years ago, he's impressed in OTA's

LB, does Sapp make the jump? From all indications he has in OTA's. Coples moving part of his role to OLB. Pace coming back. Davis' development. Barnes, Mauga comes back from injury, solid player.

CB, Op nailed it, but this kid Berry has had a good off-season, was a talented player coming out of Pitt but off-the-field issues hurt him in Detroit, maybe he's grown up? Wilson had a great off-season. The Milliner addition. It could be the move to trade Revis will really help the overall talent and depth of the group.

TE, Op nails it perfectly. Loved the Winslow pick-up, love to see the progress Smith has made, and Cumberland seems confident, there is talent on this unit now

OL, Op nailed it, does Winters beat out Peterman at LG, Winters impressed in OTA's, real evaluation will come with the pads on.

Of course WR, players coming back from injury, Holmes, Hill. Which WR's emerge, surprise, big ? with this unit.

RB, could be the most talented and deepest unit on the team relatively speaking, does the team keep all 4, Ivory, Goodson, Powell, and McKnight, and the one FB, the rookie Bohanon?

Screw SOJF, I'm ready for camp and to see what this group can do this year!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I want to buy in.

Really.

But there's this little voice in my head reminding me that 90210 says the same thing about the Raiders every year.
    Yup. It'll get me called an SOJF, but you'd have to be drinking some spiked kool aid if you honestly believe this team is just gonna win without a doubt. This team just doesn't warrant that kind of blind faith, yet.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Excellent post jetster. The Jets may just surprise a few people this year. I certainly see them as midpack at worst. To me the key is MM being allowed to run his offense. He has a strict offensive mindset and can vary his approach on O, something we haven't seen in about 10 years from the Jets.
    I don't know about you but surprise to me would be making the playoffs. Marty will run his offense question is will they be able to perform the Qb position dictates variety and we don't have Vick or McNabb.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    I don't know about you but surprise to me would be making the playoffs. Marty will run his offense question is will they be able to perform the Qb position dictates variety and we don't have Vick or McNabb.
    How about a Kolb, or Foles? Marty raises every QBs game. With our defense we don't need miracles. We only need competence to be competitive. If a couple receivers surprise, and Geno pans out things could get very interesting. If not we still will not be the laughingstock that people predict/hope we'll be. Then we'll have a better idea of what we need moving forward, and what to spend the fortune we'll have in cap space, and draft picks next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Yup. It'll get me called an SOJF, but you'd have to be drinking some spiked kool aid if you honestly believe this team is just gonna win without a doubt. This team just doesn't warrant that kind of blind faith, yet.
    There aren't many people saying we're definitely winning this year. Only that we will be in every game. We have a solid base, and lots of potential. The future is bright, and there's no reason to hang your head, or for Christ's sake, compare us to the Raiders organization.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Great post

As far as I'm concerned, this offseason couldn't have gone much better.

I wanted Tannenbaum gone...he's gone.

I wanted Tebow gone...he's gone.

I wanted a no nonsense GM who wouldn't just throw money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave and would make it a priority to build through the draft...it appears we've found one.

I wanted to trade Revis instead of paying a CB like he's Tom Brady...Idzik had the brains and the balls to do this.

I wanted to add some legit competition at the QB position...we drafted the consensus #1 QB in the draft...in the 2nd round, no less.

I wanted to upgrade the backfield and the OL...we've brought in an extremely violent runner in Ivory who is hellbent on proving himself as a starter, a speed back in Goodson, and invested 3 draft picks along the offensive trenches.

I wanted a proven OC who has overseen some top ranking offenses...Mornhinweg fits the bill.

I wanted to add some youth and speed to the defense...we've done exactly that.

Maybe it's all doom and gloom to most around here, but I love what we've accomplished this offseason. Do we still have some issues? Sure, but you can't expect to fill every hole in one offseason and fix the mess that Tannenbaum created simply by waving a magic wand.

With Idzik in charge, I'm excited for the future.
    Great post! I don't think we'll win more than 6-8 games but this season will be a feeling out process to see what players we can build around.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    How about a Kolb, or Foles? Marty raises every QBs game. With our defense we don't need miracles. We only need competence to be competitive. If a couple receivers surprise, and Geno pans out things could get very interesting. If not we still will not be the laughingstock that people predict/hope we'll be. Then we'll have a better idea of what we need moving forward, and what to spend the fortune we'll have in cap space, and draft picks next year.
    Kolb and Foles are not terrible QB's. Kolb never got a chance because of McNabb which sort of turned out to be correct having gone to his last NFC conference game in 08'. Foles we will most likely not get a chance to see he is not Kelly's prototype, but he is prototype which is changing as we speak. For the most part I agree, but this is going to take time. Going from one of the older teams in the league to one of the youngest requires patience, and understanding something a good number of fans don't have. I understand there have been some really unacceptable issues under Rex during his watch, however, it is what it is, we are going to have to roll with it because it's going to take a couple of years to get back on track. The saviour in all this if any will be the D.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bottom line for the jets is the offense needs to score about 23-24 net points per game. no more pick sixes or fumbles at the qb spot will do wonders. get the offense to move the chains consistently and the points will come. the defense will at least not have to be on the field the whole game. that and the upgrades on the dline and at lb and things could be looking way up.

sanchez/smith/whoever need to get the job done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    well written and I strongly agree with every word you wrote.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sameoldjets View Post
    the bottom line for the jets is the offense needs to score about 23-24 net points per game. no more pick sixes or fumbles at the qb spot will do wonders. get the offense to move the chains consistently and the points will come. the defense will at least not have to be on the field the whole game. that and the upgrades on the dline and at lb and things could be looking way up.

sanchez/smith/whoever need to get the job done.
    I didn't even talk about the LBs because I think this 2013 version of the Jets will be all about the Dline.
    But if you tell me that Davis comes in & kicks Azz, Coples takes to OLB like a dog likes bacon & Harris plays like its 2009 again then I would tell you that this Jet defense will bloody some damn lips come September.
    It could happen, I keep telling you people that we will be playing some teams with suspect Olines.
    Even the Pats Oline crumpled in the AFCCG vs the Ravens.
    Keep in mind that some of the free agent wideouts that are available will be lowering their demands as the season gets closer.
    If you were a WR where would you want to play?
    For a contender sitting on the bench, or a team where you knew you had a chance to compete for a starting job & prove yourself for a future contract?
    NY Jets is the place if you want a chance to start & prove your worth.
    No brainer.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    I didn't even talk about the LBs because I think this 2013 version of the Jets will be all about the Dline.
    But if you tell me that Davis comes in & kicks Azz, Coples takes to OLB like a dog likes bacon & Harris plays like its 2009 again then I would tell you that this Jet defense will bloody some damn lips come September.
    It could happen, I keep telling you people that we will be playing some teams with suspect Olines.
    Even the Pats Oline crumpled in the AFCCG vs the Ravens.
    Keep in mind that some of the free agent wideouts that are available will be lowering their demands as the season gets closer.
    If you were a WR where would you want to play?
    For a contender sitting on the bench, or a team where you knew you had a chance to compete for a starting job & prove yourself for a future contract?
    NY Jets is the place if you want a chance to start & prove your worth.
    No brainer.
    And who exactly are these illustrious free agent WOs ?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Take your pick?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I personally think the talk about Holmes missing games is being overdone.

A good example for this injury is mcfadden, as both positions need to cut and plant their feet. McFadden was hurt on October 23 - and played all 16 games the following season. Holmes was hurt 1 month earlier (Sept 30) so there really is no reason at all to think he cant be ready for week 1. Will he be limited in TC, yes as he should, but he is a veteran who knows what to do and should be at the peak level of effort for the first time in his Jet career as he is playing for a 2014 contract.

The fact that cimini said kerley "disappointed" in minicamp shows what a complete dumbass he is.

My concern is Hill - not so much the injury, but if he has the drops still after a full offseason to work on hand placement, then this could be a long term problem.

I do not think that Clyde Gates should receive a single rep over any of the other guys and im amazed he is still on the team.

I also think that Zach Rogers will play a pretty prominent role as our 4th WR and that we will see a lot of 2 WR, and 2 RB sets with combos including mcknight and goodson being put in motion to create some space which should compensate for the lack of top tier talent at the WR position.

Lastly, Winslow has the chance to be a terror in this offense and can allow hayden smith to come along slowly and be ready to be a major contributor in 2014.
    A couple of points. You can't compare Linsfranc injuries as they aren't all the same. ( some are more severe) Darren Mcfadden didn't need surgery while S Holmes did. I was under the impression that matter but my foot doctor said something surgery works better than non surgery. (again it more severity of the injury that matters) That lisfranc did effect D Mcfaden in 2012 as he couldn't train as hard he usually does in the off season as he just started running full speed at training camp. (last year)

Couple points on the running backs. Mike Goodson will sit on the sideline like he did for panthers and Raiders if he can't protect the football(fumbler) and can't pass protect. It's going to be interesting what C Ivory can do without having two beast at guard.( every year with the saints) First couple years It was Carl Nicks and Jari evans and last year Ben Grubbs and Jari Evans. Now he will have Willie colon and Brian winters. Going to be interesting if that plays a part in his effectiveness. No one knows and it will be worth watching.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    A couple of points. You can't compare Linsfranc injuries as they aren't all the same. ( some are more severe) Darren Mcfadden didn't need surgery while S Holmes did. I was under the impression that matter but my foot doctor said something surgery works better than non surgery. (again it more severity of the injury that matters) That lisfranc did effect D Mcfaden in 2012 as he couldn't train as hard he usually does in the off season as he just started running full speed at training camp. (last year)

Couple points on the running backs. Mike Goodson will sit on the sideline like he did for panthers and Raiders if he can't protect the football(fumbler) and can't pass protect. It's going to be interesting what C Ivory can do without having two beast at guard.( every year with the saints) First couple years It was Carl Nicks and Jari evans and last year Ben Grubbs and Jari Evans. Now he will have Willie colon and Brian winters. Going to be interesting if that plays a part in his effectiveness. No one knows and it will be worth watching.
    :rollesyes:

Shut up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Take your pick?

The word 'free' has nothing to do with Ocho these days, lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Great post

As far as I'm concerned, this offseason couldn't have gone much better.

I wanted Tannenbaum gone...he's gone.

I wanted Tebow gone...he's gone.

I wanted a no nonsense GM who wouldn't just throw money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave and would make it a priority to build through the draft...it appears we've found one.

I wanted to trade Revis instead of paying a CB like he's Tom Brady...Idzik had the brains and the balls to do this.

I wanted to add some legit competition at the QB position...we drafted the consensus #1 QB in the draft...in the 2nd round, no less.

I wanted to upgrade the backfield and the OL...we've brought in an extremely violent runner in Ivory who is hellbent on proving himself as a starter, a speed back in Goodson, and invested 3 draft picks along the offensive trenches.

I wanted a proven OC who has overseen some top ranking offenses...Mornhinweg fits the bill.

I wanted to add some youth and speed to the defense...we've done exactly that.

Maybe it's all doom and gloom to most around here, but I love what we've accomplished this offseason. Do we still have some issues? Sure, but you can't expect to fill every hole in one offseason and fix the mess that Tannenbaum created simply by waving a magic wand.

With Idzik in charge, I'm excited for the future.
    This post times 1,000.

I see a lot of teenage "bloggers" on various (crap) nfl blogs talk about how the Jets have had a bad offseason.

This is them seeing we traded Revis and making the absolute laziest assumption possible.

Everything the I-man has done has actually been really logical and beneficial. If it doesn't work out, you'll have the crotchety old posters on here of course criticizing him, but you can't criticize the method.

The Jets have made huge leaps this offseason, and went from a team that was in a "long rebuild rotflmao" to one that can legitimately challenge for the postseason if we get decent qb play. But yeah we traded revis so we're terrible right?

Hall Of Fame
    Orlando from NYC (1998) Las Vegas from Orlando Fl (june 2007)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still trying to find out why so many assume they will be a train wreck...this team has talent. LOL let them feel that way.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    :rollesyes:

Shut up
    No you sHutup Ray ray. What I said is 100% accurate. NO one knows what santonio Holmes will be. No Lisfranc injury is ever the same.(a fact) So you can't try and use any other player as an example. You Just don't know .

About the rb's tell me ray what I said that you don't agree with or was wrong . You can't because you don't know crap about football . So stop trying to be internet tough guy and actually try to debate your point or leave the conversation to the big boys.

Now thisz should make you sick ray ray. (proves I was right) http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...st-severe-kind

Neither Santonio Holmes nor New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan is confident in the wide receiver's availability for training camp, much less the season opener. Now we have a better idea why that's the case.

Holmes revealed that his Lisfranc fracture was diagnosed as a Grade 4 injury, which is the most serious variety. He had a joint separation and a muscle tear in the middle of his foot, according to ESPNNewYork.com. A plate was removed in a March follow-up surgery, but two screws will remain in his foot permanently.

I don't know one single NFl player that has been able to come back from a grade 4 lisfranc injury.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-18-2013 at 07:51 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    Stop with the hyperbowl, who said illustrious?
    Veteran
    Someone that actually catch a ball
    Who knows who might get released

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    No you sHutup Ray ray. What I said is 100% accurate. NO one knows what santonio Holmes will be. No Lisfranc injury is ever the same.(a fact) So you can't try and use any other player as an example. You Just don't know .

About the rb's tell me ray what I said that you don't agree with or was wrong . You can't because you don't know crap about football . So stop trying to be internet tough guy and actually try to debate your point or leave the conversation to the big boys.
    He wasn't talking about your first paragraph. Goodson will be much better with real coaches, and just getting out of that losing atmosphere. Watching the tape on Ivory, he just runs over, and around guys. I didn't see him running through gaping holes. If he stays healthy, he's a beast.