Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: While everyone's crying Jets will have some positives

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He wasn't talking about your first paragraph. Goodson will be much better with real coaches, and just getting out of that losing atmosphere. Watching the tape on Ivory, he just runs over, and around guys. I didn't see him running through gaping holes. If he stays healthy, he's a beast.
    RB is one of the positions where you can see if he has it or does not have it, holes or no holes.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    While the general consensus is that the Jets will be a car wreck next year, there are positives to their offseason & draft.

1- The QB play can't be any worse than 2012! It would be impossible to duplicate. The Combo of Sanchez & Sparano might have been the worst ever in the NFL. Add to that losing your #1 receiver, #1 tight end, having a RB who runs like he's wearing blinders on and an Oline that had a LG ranked 32nd in the run game & a RG who was playing on bad hips & his last legs & has since been sent to pasture, well you get my drift.

2- The OG position will now have......
    Outstanding, realistic post.

The main thing I'm concerned about, is whether our passing game will be enough of a threat that teams can't single up on receivers and key on the run. That will make things more difficult for us.

I think this is a .500 season with improvement after the first 5-6 games after things start to gel with the new offensive system and players. By the end of the season I'm hoping for some positive surprises regarding players exceeding expectations (Sanchez, or Geno being the most important).

Next year with our draft and cap position we should be able to address our shortfalls and again become a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    4- Dline. Might be the best Dline Rex has worked with in his career. Wilkerson is a stud, and he's still really young. Coples can be as good as he wants, Rex needs to keep on this kid. Richardson was rated by most NFL teams as the 1st or 2nd best DT in the entire draft & after seeing where Floyd was taken, I think he was the best, and most NFL teams agreed. Add in Garay, Ellis, & Snacks, they have depth, youth & experience, a great combo.
    I am looking forward to watching this group play and apply actual pressure on the QB, Richardson seems like a great fit, should be fun to watch

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He wasn't talking about your first paragraph. Goodson will be much better with real coaches, and just getting out of that losing atmosphere. Watching the tape on Ivory, he just runs over, and around guys. I didn't see him running through gaping holes. If he stays healthy, he's a beast.
    Again were going to see about both backs. M Goodson history of fumbling and not being effective in pass protection has kept him on the sidelines in two organizations (panthers and raiders) . If those two areas he doesn't improve he isn't getting any more time with the Jets. ( that a fact)

C Ivory were going to have to wait and see with him. He did have some of the best guards running behind (that is a fact) . Also there is a difference running the football when an offense has an explosive passing game and when that offense doesn't ,and every defense is keying on you.

No one knows what C Ivory will be as a full time back for the first time in his career. Maybe he explodes on the scene or maybe he crumbles under the presser of being the guy. We just don't know.

I'll agree that the future looks bright if Idzik plays things smart. With that said, I can't see this team winning any more than 5 or 6 games. That's having those unexpected injuries, players talent level going down, etc. installed into it.

Assuming everything went great, better than we expected? OK, I guess I could see us winning as much as 10 games. However, that won't happen. The players we added thus far have injury concerns and I don't expect everyone of them to stay healthy. In fact, I highly doubt it. That's not being doom and gloom IMO, it's just normal for a football season.

My hope is that in 2014 we can start to show that we are a consistent playoff team with SB aspirations. 2013 is strictly a rebuilding year.

All League
    get this crapolla outta here! Suck for Bridgewater, 2014!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Again were going to see about both backs. M Goodson history of fumbling and not being effective in pass protection has kept him on the sidelines in two organizations (panthers and raiders) . If those two areas he doesn't improve he isn't getting any more time with the Jets. ( that a fact)

C Ivory were going to have to wait and see with him. He did have some of the best guards running behind (that is a fact) . Also there is a difference running the football when an offense has an explosive passing game and when that offense doesn't ,and every defense is keying on you.

No one knows what C Ivory will be as a full time back for the first time in his career. Maybe he explodes on the scene or maybe he crumbles under the presser of being the guy. We just don't know.
    I'm just curious, were you drunk or stoned when you wrote this diatribe? Inserting the words "that a fact" or "that is a fact" into a statement does not, in fact, make it a fact!

As for Goodson, he's likely to play a role as a 3rd down back. He has great speed and good hands - perfect for that role. It's more likely that Ivory becomes the bell-cow for the Jets. But he does not need to be "the guy". With Goodson and McKnight, I expect a role for all three backs and some sort of rotation, depending on the game plan for a specific opponent (defense). I also think Powell may be the odd man out or see a very diminished role this year. Regardless, the Jets are in a much better situation with the RB position this year than they were last year. That's all that really matters at this point.
    Last edited by TexJet; 06-18-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Again were going to see about both backs. M Goodson history of fumbling and not being effective in pass protection has kept him on the sidelines in two organizations (panthers and raiders) .
    Isn't it a fact that he hasn't fumbled the ball in 3 years?

Or that all of his fumbles, every one of them, came as a KR man in Car?

More to the point, isn't it a fact he never fumbled the ball, not once...ever, as a Raider?
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-18-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Isn't it a fact that he hasn't fumbled the ball in 3 years?

Or that all of his fumbles, every one of them, came as a KR man in Car?

More to the point, isn't it a fact he never fumbled the ball, not once...ever, as a Raider?
    I don't think 90210 expected you to counter with actual "facts".

I'll give him credit though, he is a real fan of that Raider team - come hell or high water, he's there cheering them on. Better than some of the folks around here! Still, Raider fan on Jets website. Kind of odd.

Practice Squad

While everyone's crying Jets will have some positives

Anyone who really looks at the team since Idzik has taken over can see the multiple improvements throughout the roster. Some improvements are addition by subtraction as this team moves to it's draft picks. They may not have been huge parts of the team last year but you can see the talent level and they should be ready now to step into lead roles.

LOVED Idzik's draft. We got quality players at the top of our draft. Loved the signings and getting Ivory. Our running game should be MUCH more explosive now.

The one area of supposed weakness is being overblown. It's early still and we don't know what this group of WR's is gonna look like after they've had time to work in TCamp. They added a lot of young big and fast WR's and they need reps. We might see some guys step up in TCamp. OTA's and Minicamp isn't enough to really judge what these guys are gonna be by the time the pre-season gets here.

The most important thing is that the D looks like it can be even stronger and if we get ANYTHING decent out of the offense this team can win games. we lost at least 3 winnable games simply due to putrid offense. I don't see that being the case again this year.