Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: While everyone's crying Jets will have some positives

While everyone's crying Jets will have some positives

While the general consensus is that the Jets will be a car wreck next year, there are positives to their offseason & draft.

1- The QB play can't be any worse than 2012! It would be impossible to duplicate. The Combo of Sanchez & Sparano might have been the worst ever in the NFL. Add to that losing your #1 receiver, #1 tight end, having a RB who runs like he's wearing blinders on and an Oline that had a LG ranked 32nd in the run game & a RG who was playing on bad hips & his last legs & has since been sent to pasture, well you get my drift.

2- The OG position will now have 5-6 players competing, including a veteran (Colon) that will win one position if healthy.
    That leaves 4 players vying for the remaining OG spot including our draft pick (Winters) who was considered one of the best guard prospects in the draft.

3- Unlike some people on this board, I have always felt Keller was an overrated TE. Believe me people there is not a huge drop off from Keller to Cumberland.
    It takes time to learn the TE position for an ex BBaller.
    Add Smith who is a total unknown & now a veteran like Winslow, you have the youngster Reauland, at least we are average at TE.

4- Dline. Might be the best Dline Rex has worked with in his career. Wilkerson is a stud, and he's still really young. Coples can be as good as he wants, Rex needs to keep on this kid. Richardson was rated by most NFL teams as the 1st or 2nd best DT in the entire draft & after seeing where Floyd was taken, I think he was the best, and most NFL teams agreed. Add in Garay, Ellis, & Snacks, they have depth, youth & experience, a great combo.

5- Seconday. Cro is a top 5 corner in this league. Wilson has experience. Milliner was the consensus #1 corner in college football, plus people forget about Berry, who adds size & experience. Everything will revolve around the young Safeties, but even Landry has experience so we are looking for 1 guy to come forward & we are certain whoever that is will have more range than Smith or Leonard ever had.

6- RBs. This is where we will have a huge upgrade. Going from Mr. Blinders, 2 yards & a cloud of dust, I run right into the tackle Greene, to a guy like Ivory, a player like Goodsen that has the speed to get to the corner & a consistent player like Powell who reminds me a lot like Faulk who played in New England, that is a big upgrade.
    This RB upgrade added to the Oline upgrades will help whomever plays QB.

The largest ? Mark regarding the 2013 NY Jets is obviously QB play & the wide receivers. It won't happen overnight but I believe MM will be able to have something that resembles an NFL offense.
    We will finally use the running game to set up some screens, take some shots in the seams with the TEs, and hopefully at least give our defense some rest.

When you have strengths in this league at both lines, a solid secondary & running game, if you have a great year on special teams , you can compete with any team, you might not win but you give yourself that chance in the 4th quarter to be within striking distance that one big play, punt return, kickoff return, interception, or strip sack on defense puts you in position to kick a field goal or maybe have a chance for a winning TD throw with seconds left in the game.
    Parcells won many games like this. I love the Rex, MM combo, both aggressive SOBs. I'm looking forward to this season, knowing that in 2014 we are loaded with draft picks & will have a lot of money in free agency, but are run by a more thoughtful conservative approach in Idzik.
    With Brady close to retirement, the next 6-7 years could be very interesting.

Veteran
    Jetster, I commend u for the analysis and I agree.

I think with a running game and receivers the QB's whoever behind center will be adequate to get us to 500 and above and some surprise wins. I think unlike years past, the best part of our play will come in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    While the general consensus is that the Jets will be a car wreck next year, there are positives to their offseason & draft.

1- The QB play can't be any worse than 2012! It would be impossible to duplicate. The Combo of Sanchez & Sparano might have been the worst ever in the NFL. Add to that losing your #1 receiver, #1 tight end, having a RB who runs like he's wearing blinders on and an Oline that had a LG ranked 32nd in the run game & a RG who was playing on bad hips & his last legs & has since been sent to pasture, well you get my drift.

2- The OG position will now have 5-6 players competing, including a veteran (Colon) that will win one position if healthy.
    That leaves 4 players vying for the remaining OG spot including our draft pick (Winters) who was considered one of the best guard prospects in the draft.

3- Unlike some people on this board, I have always felt Keller was an overrated TE. Believe me people there is not a huge drop off from Keller to Cumberland.
    Add Smith who is a total unknown & now a veteran like Winslow, you have the youngster Reauland, at least we are average at TE.

4- Dline. Might be the best Dline Rex has worked with in his career. Wilkerson is a stud, and he's still really young. Coples can be as good as he wants, Rex needs to keep on this kid. Richardson was rated by most NFL teams as the 1st or 2nd best DT in the entire draft & after seeing where Floyd was taken, I think he was the best, and most NFL teams agreed. Add in Garay, Ellis, & Snacks, they have depth, youth & experience, a great combo.

5- Seconday. Cro is a top 5 corner in this league. Wilson has experience. Milliner was the consensus #1 corner in college football, plus people forget about Berry, who adds size & experience. Everything will revolve around the young Safeties, but even Landry has experience so we are looking for 1 guy to come forward & we are certain whoever that is will have more range than Smith or Leonard ever had.

6- RBs. This is where we will have a huge upgrade. Going from Mr. Blinders, 2 yards & a cloud of dust, I run right into the tackle Greene, to a guy like Ivory, a player like Goodsen that has the speed to get to the corner & a consistent player like Powell who reminds me a lot like Faulk who played in New England, that is a big upgrade.

The largest ? Mark regarding the 2013 NY Jets is obviously QB play & the wide receivers. It won't happen overnight but I believe MM will be able to have something that resembles an NFL offense.
    We will finally use the running game to set up some screens, take some shots in the seams with the TEs, and hopefully at least give our defense some rest.

When you have strengths in this league at both lines, a solid secondary & running game, if you have a great year on special teams , you can compete with any team, you might not win but you give yourself that chance in the 4th quarter to be within striking distance that one big play, punt return, kickoff return, interception, or strip sack on defense puts you in position to kick a field goal or maybe have a chance for a winning TD throw with seconds left in the game.
    Parcells won many games like this. I love the Rex, MM combo, both aggressive SOBs. I'm looking forward to this season, knowing that in 2014 we are loaded with draft picks & will have a lot of money in free agency, but are run by a more thoughtful conservative approach in Idzik.
    This...a thousand times this, great post.

Also excited for this linebacking core, more speed, better in coverage, and with the addition of Barnes, Coples at OLB, and the Richardson pick, hopefully a much improved pass rush this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    The problem with a new system is it takes a while for the nerves to settle and guys get use to it. So while the Defense keeps us in the game, the Offense is going thru a learning curve. A lot depends on the WRs stepping up and making the catches on 3rd down.

If we manage to win a few games by luck early on, then the Offense confidence will grow and we might end up in a good place.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RMJK View Post
    The problem with a new system is it takes a while for the nerves to settle and guys get use to it. So while the Defense keeps us in the game, the Offense is going thru a learning curve. A lot depends on the WRs stepping up and making the catches on 3rd down.

If we manage to win a few games by luck early on, then the Offense confidence will grow and we might end up in a good place.
    Not only is it a new offense but it is a complicated one and as you point out it will take time to get up to speed. I do believe the offense will improve as the season progresses. The trouble is that the most difficult part of the schedule is during the first part of the season and it gets easier later in the season. If it were the opposite of that I would feel better about this. We will need A LOT of luck or some surprisingly good play early in the season.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Aside from the Qb problem which is huge. Defense, and ST's are capable of keeping the team in games, however, Offense has to help the Defense not hurt it and they have to win games. This is a huge challenge for the Offense, Marty, and ultimately Rex.

Jets Insider VIP
    Great post

As far as I'm concerned, this offseason couldn't have gone much better.

I wanted Tannenbaum gone...he's gone.

I wanted Tebow gone...he's gone.

I wanted a no nonsense GM who wouldn't just throw money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave and would make it a priority to build through the draft...it appears we've found one.

I wanted to trade Revis instead of paying a CB like he's Tom Brady...Idzik had the brains and the balls to do this.

I wanted to add some legit competition at the QB position...we drafted the consensus #1 QB in the draft...in the 2nd round, no less.

I wanted to upgrade the backfield and the OL...we've brought in an extremely violent runner in Ivory who is hellbent on proving himself as a starter, a speed back in Goodson, and invested 3 draft picks along the offensive trenches.

I wanted a proven OC who has overseen some top ranking offenses...Mornhinweg fits the bill.

I wanted to add some youth and speed to the defense...we've done exactly that.

Maybe it's all doom and gloom to most around here, but I love what we've accomplished this offseason. Do we still have some issues? Sure, but you can't expect to fill every hole in one offseason and fix the mess that Tannenbaum created simply by waving a magic wand.

With Idzik in charge, I'm excited for the future.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Great post

I wanted Tannenbaum gone...he's gone.

I wanted a no nonsense GM who wouldn't just throw money around like a drunken sailor on shore leave and would make it a priority to build through the draft...it appears we've found one.

I wanted to trade Revis instead of paying a CB like he's Tom Brady...Idzik had the brains and the balls to do this.

I wanted to add some legit competition at the QB position...we drafted the consensus #1 QB in the draft...in the 2nd round, no less.

I wanted to upgrade the backfield and the OL...we've brought in an extremely violent runner in Ivory who is hellbent on proving himself as a starter, a speed back in Goodson, and invested 3 draft picks along the offensive trenches.

I wanted a proven OC who has overseen some top ranking offenses...Mornhinweg fits the bill.

I wanted to add some youth and speed to the defense...we've done exactly that.

Maybe it's all doom and gloom to most around here, but I love what we've accomplished this offseason. Do we still have some issues? Sure, but you can't expect to fill every hole in one offseason and fix the mess that Tannenbaum created simply by waving a magic wand.

With Idzik in charge, I'm excited for the future.
    +1

could not have been said better

excellent post UT

Damn, it good to read some positive thoughts on this board. Hell , we are not going to the Super Bowl this year except as spectators, but we sure as hell can use this season to make a good transition into 2014. There is no way this club will be as bad as last years and as fans there is so much more to look forward to with all the new additions.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Great post

BONUS: He's up in NE creating a distraction no matter what anyone says. Not his fault but he's like a toxic bomb that just keeps exploding.

All Pro
    Great post, Jetster.

The only thing you avoided commenting on (appropriately) was the WR group. At the moment, I see no basis for optimism that they will be better or even as good as last year. Compared to the AFCCG run group it's far, far worse still. No matter how good the running game is, that could be the thing that holds us back.

Hopefully something will click.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    BONUS: He's up in NE creating a distraction no matter what anyone says. Not his fault but he's like a toxic bomb that just keeps exploding.
    great point dan

having him and his cult followers up there doing what they can to distract and eventually destroy the Cheaters is a better result than even I could have ever dreamed of

Better than Jacksonville

Better than Canada

Better than Omaha

even better than "executive" in the Lingerie league

Please stop with posts like this - there is no way I will be able to get the Jets at over 6.5 wins if anyone smart reads this.

Not only do I agree with every point you made, there are even more things to add.

1. 2 of our 2012 starting LBs and our 5th DB are not even IN THE LEAGUE anymore. Think about that - Bart and BT, who played well over 50% of our defensive snaps, and eric smith who played 40% are considered so bad they are unsigned 6 weeks before training camp.

2. Its not just the turnovers, but the backbreaking nature of the way the season went. We were on the 5 yard line, ready to go up 14 or 10-7 on Seattle (the NFL's 2012 cinderella team) and instead Sanchez threw an INT and we never scored again. INTs like that destroy the entire teams morale and without question affect the rest of the game.

Sanchez's performance vs Tennessee was one of the most disgusting displays of football I have ever seen, and that was in a must win game.

3. We had an OC who wasnt even remotely even able to construct an offense. There is nothing more to say about how bad that hire was.

4. We had a DC who was fracturing the locker room, stabbing his HC in the back by leaking things to the media, and really shouldnt have been calling the defensive plays. Having Rex and someone he trusts in Thurman, along with Karl Dunbar gives us probably the best group of defensive coaches in the league.

What is happening right now with our QB position is borderline perfect. There is no "media controversy" because no one is saying anything of merit. Reps are being split down the middle, and frankly the quotes about geno not being ready yet are great - he shouldnt be ready yet. (Dont forget, russell wilson was competing with flynn up until the end of the 2nd preseason game). He has 6 weeks to continue to work and be ready for TC.

Lastly, for all the talk about our young guys (on offense and defense) needing to "learn the system" many teams get new systems implemented and our group on offense has had a full offseason while the group on defense will have MANY veterans who have been in this system for multiple years to lean on. That should not be an issue at this point, and whatever mental lapses happen, ill take the big uptick in speed over that any day.

All Pro
    Great post, Jetster.

The only thing you avoided commenting on (appropriately) was the WR group. At the moment, I see no basis for optimism that they will be better or even as good as last year. Compared to the AFCCG run group it's far, far worse still. No matter how good the running game is, that could be the thing that holds us back.

I like this thread, as it at least points to some optimism to balance the incessant doom and gloom. I hope the Jets target one veteran WR who can at least provide some depth in the case that Holmes is gimpy and Hill can't wash the concrete off his hands. A decent receiver would provide some glue on offense.

Great post, Jetster.

I personally think the talk about Holmes missing games is being overdone.

A good example for this injury is mcfadden, as both positions need to cut and plant their feet. McFadden was hurt on October 23 - and played all 16 games the following season. Holmes was hurt 1 month earlier (Sept 30) so there really is no reason at all to think he cant be ready for week 1. Will he be limited in TC, yes as he should, but he is a veteran who knows what to do and should be at the peak level of effort for the first time in his Jet career as he is playing for a 2014 contract.

The fact that cimini said kerley "disappointed" in minicamp shows what a complete dumbass he is.

My concern is Hill - not so much the injury, but if he has the drops still after a full offseason to work on hand placement, then this could be a long term problem.

I do not think that Clyde Gates should receive a single rep over any of the other guys and im amazed he is still on the team.

I also think that Zach Rogers will play a pretty prominent role as our 4th WR and that we will see a lot of 2 WR, and 2 RB sets with combos including mcknight and goodson being put in motion to create some space which should compensate for the lack of top tier talent at the WR position.

Lastly, Winslow has the chance to be a terror in this offense and can allow hayden smith to come along slowly and be ready to be a major contributor in 2014.

All Pro
    Great post, Jetster.

They may not be as good as last year's starting group, but they cannot be as bad as what we eventually had half way through the season when our best receiver was Cromartie. We have potential, and good WRs come out of no where every year. I like the way Idzik is going about signing so many young guys with upside. We now have 15 WRs on the roster. If they don't pan out, then he'll bring in someone else.

Pretty accurate. Can't say we'll be a winner, but I think we'll at least be competitive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Pretty accurate. Can't say we'll be a winner, but I think we'll at least be competitive.
    I want to buy in.

Really.

But there's this little voice in my head reminding me that 90210 says the same thing about the Raiders every year.

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

Excellent post jetster. The Jets may just surprise a few people this year. I certainly see them as midpack at worst. To me the key is MM being allowed to run his offense. He has a strict offensive mindset and can vary his approach on O, something we haven't seen in about 10 years from the Jets.