Thread: Mike Pettine.... Ready for Prime Time?

Mike Pettine.... Ready for Prime Time?

Seems like controversy follows wherever this guy goes...

Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams has clarified his comments on the club's defense, saying that defensive coordinator Mike Pettine never used the word 'kill' when giving direction.

"He usually says, 'Kill 'em or hurt 'em.' That's what I always hear," Williams had told The Buffalo News.

However, Williams took to Twitter to clear up Pettine's philosophy.

"The phrase 'kill them' has never been said by Coach Pet or any of my coaches/teammates," Williams wrote. "I said it as figure of speech from 'my perspective' not literally or any actual intention. Coach Pet has led us in an aggressive D since Day One. We've operated in a 'beat them' mode this offseason w/a goal of mentally hurting the offense (future opponents) by being physical and disruptive at the line of scrimmage & through any pass protection. Pressure, TFL, turnovers and sacks."

In a statement released to The Associated Press on Friday, coach Doug Marrone said he's been assured by Pettine that he's never used "kill." Marrone did say Pettine has used the word "hurt," but not in the context of a physical nature.

If Pettine had said "kill," the NFL surely wouldn't have been happy after the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal.

Former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, the Bills coach at one time, was suspended indefinitely for his role in the bounty controversy before being reinstated. He was once caught on tape telling the Saints, "Kill the head, the body will die."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...efensive-credo

BTW didn't Rex always use KILL as an acronym for Keep It Likable and Learnable?

I'm all for bashing the rat, but this is such a non-story. Whoa, a defensive coached used the word "kill"? Uh oh, better have him change that to "nurture" instead.

This league needs to grow a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I'm all for bashing the rat, but this is such a non-story. Whoa, a defensive coached used the word "kill"? Uh oh, better have him change that to "nurture" instead.

+1.5

Rex brought pettine from the HS ranks to the NFL and this disloyal jerk underminded him every step of the way as a thank you.

The best thing about this a$$hole is that we get to face him twice a year...2 easy wins.

Mario's spinning more feverishly than the White House after Benghazi. LOL at this obvious effort to cover up the truth.

All Pro
    He was in prime time last year, and we had our worst defensive season. I think he'll be good, but he's no Rex Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He was in prime time last year, and we had our worst defensive season. I think he'll be good, but he's no Rex Ryan.
    Tell that to Bills fans. They think they've inherited our great defense, lol.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Rex brought pettine from the HS ranks to the NFL and this disloyal jerk underminded him every step of the way as a thank you.

The best thing about this a$$hole is that we get to face him twice a year...2 easy wins.
    My sentiments too. We got rid of a cancer.

Veteran
    Pettine is all foam and no beer like Sparano.

When he said the Jets' OL was "the best in the league" during the Wayne Hunter debacle, he must've meant the best against his flaccid pass rush.

Hall Of Fame

Only if we have an offense.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

+1

Seriously, kill? WTF is this tennis or football?

BTW we are gonna KILL the Bills this year, no question.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Veteran

I can see the loyalty in what you are saying but Trevor Pryce always said that Petite played a larger role than many people realised in establishing Rex's reputation as a defensive guru ...

The Bills will not be a walk in the Park, Petite in Defense and I think that EJ Manuel will work out but it will take a year or more, Gruden was convinced that he had potential ...
    Last edited by Gangrene; 06-16-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    +1

Seriously, kill? WTF is this tennis or football?

BTW we are gonna KILL the Bills this year, no question.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk
    Don't sell us short, PaPz.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    My sentiments too. We got rid of a cancer.
    Agree 1000%. This was the leading un named source guy.

Manish is going to have a lot less "per source/ unnamed players " quotes this year.

F Pettine
    Last edited by Mickey Shuler; 06-17-2013 at 09:22 AM.