Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Geno Smith's daily routine revolves around the details"

"Geno Smith's daily routine revolves around the details"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...e_details.html

By now, nothing surprises Jets rookie quarterback Geno Smith.

He deflects trouble with a faint smile and a nod. He takes solace in the relationships heís building around the locker room, and he buries himself in a playbook binder and drill "dictionary" provided by quarterbacks coach David Lee.

Other quarterbacks can attest: It is literally the size of a dictionary.

Through a series of text messages and conversations with Peyton Manning and teammates of Tom Brady, Smith has learned that the most important part of his first year in the NFL is to develop a routine. Thatís what eliminates the unexpected.

Wake up at the same time every day, and go to sleep when your body tells you to. Study at the same time, eat breakfast at the same time and fill the voids with more football.

"Theyíre sticklers for what they do," Smith said. "Peyton and Archie (Manning), all those guys told me to stick to that daily routine."

Smith aspires to be just like them, so by the time his first mandatory minicamp ended last week, he already had crafted the day in the life of a rookie quarterback into an art form.

In a recent post-practice sit-down with The Star-Ledger, Smith outlined his disciplined schedule, giving insight into how far the demands on first-year signal-callers have become. With the rise of Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III, the bar only climbs higher every year. Expectations demand a robotic commitment.

"You have to be that detailed to be great," Smith said.

LONG DAY BEGINS

Smith wakes up every morning at 5:30 a.m. and makes the short, half-mile drive from his hotel to the teamís complex in Florham Park and arrives by 6:15. Sometimes, he rides in with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who stays at the same hotel. Other times, Smith travels with his roommate, rookie guard Will Campbell.

He gets breakfast, served at the Jetsí cafeteria, right after his arrival, an hour and 15 minutes before the first meeting starts. Smith uses the time to go over the practice script for the day and prepare himself for the quarterback drills and play cards ahead. If he eats quickly enough, he can get a head start on watching practice from the day before, trying to pick out mistakes.

At 7:30, the Jets have their team meeting, where head coach Rex Ryan addresses the entire group. Sometimes there is a speech or message; other times, the gathering immediately dissolves into positional meetings. Smithís mind is still churning, trying to work ahead and prepare for the relentlessness of Lee.

At 8, Smith, Lee, Mark Sanchez, Matt Simms and Greg McElroy head to the meeting room and the giant digital projector, where they further examine the tape from the previous practice.

There are likely new sets of plays coming in, and Smith finds himself scribbling every word like a first-year engineering student, afraid to miss the slightest detail that can scramble the equation. Lee is meticulous about Smithís footwork and can tell by the flight pattern on a ball whether or not thereís an extra hitch in his step, so there is no margin for missteps.

"I write every single thing," Smith said. "Thatís part of being detailed. On this level, guys move so fast and the reaction time is so quick."

The Jetsí offense and its components have been described by Lee as a "whole new world" every day for Smith, who played in an offense with "no similarities whatsoever" to his days at West Virginia.

Following the meeting, practice begins any time between 11 and noon and lasts roughly two hours. A few live team drills against a first-team defense, a daily dose of Mornhinweg and Leeís quarterback drills, some individual work with wide receivers and running backs are next. In a highly contested competition, all of it matters. All of it is filmed.

Twenty minutes of autograph signing are next, and from 1:30 to 2 p.m., players come off the field to a protein shake and scheduled work in the weight room. Smith then meets the media for 15 minutes, where each portion of his six-hour day to that point is examined.

He says he is used to that now, too.

TEACHING THE ROOKIES

A little after 4 p.m. is when rookie school begins.

Dave Szott, the teamís director of player development, holds court and lectures players on the common pitfalls of a young professional athlete. Because if perfecting a cadence, memorizing a new play concept, dissecting footwork, lamenting mistakes and logging a semesterís worth of notes werenít enough, one also must worry about the flimsiness of the restaurant business and why it is a faulty investment.

"We all saw ĎBrokeí (an ESPN documentary on the countless athletes who squandered their millions), so the thing we do is we ask questions," Smith said. "I want to know: ĎWhat did this guy buy? How did he end up having this much money and go to having that much money?í

"Thatís the eye-opener, how many guys try and invest their money and end up losing it."

On a good day, Smith is back at the hotel around 7 p.m. after dinner, where he and Campbell begin quizzing each other on audibles, each blurting out a random call and the other listing what changes for every position.

"Heíll walk up and say, ĎHey, Geno, Buckeye,킬ĬÖ" Smith said. "Thatís how we learn mentally. I think that helps me out a lot because when you get into the heat of the situation, I donít have time to think, ĎAw, man. Whatís Buckeye?킬ĬÖ"

HOOPS AND REST

Smith insists they have some fun.

At 9 p.m., the Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs tip off in the NBA Finals, and if Smith can get through the first half without passing out, he is happy. When his eyes begin to "see double," he says, itís a sure-fire sign itís time to go to sleep.

Smith is from the Miami area and was a Heat fan long before the days of LeBron James,
    Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

"All the old guys ó Alonzo Mourning, Jamal Mashburn, all those guys," Smith said. "Thereís a lot of LeBron fans who have transitioned to being Heat fans."

On the weekends, Smithís body clock still juts him awake at 5:30, and he does his best to relax until at least 7 a.m. He studies in the morning and texts Mornhinweg if he has any questions.

He usually sees the coach dining at the hotel restaurant anyway and can count on an informal conversation to tie up any loose ends.

With any free time outside of the team facility, he and Campbell have discovered a common bond, an amicable way to pass the time.

"Weíre constant moviegoers," Smith said. "So I see everything there is to be seen."

His latest trip was to view "The Purge," a futuristic horror-thriller. Smith does not recommend it.

But there is not much brain space left for a thorough movie review because back in the hotel room, a binder full of notes sits waiting to be read. An offensive coordinator lives three floors up waiting to be texted with questions. A lineman roommate stands a few feet away waiting to be quizzed.

And 5:30 a.m. is coming sooner than he thinks.

"Eventually," Smith said, "it will all become second nature. The one good thing about it is, itís part of being a professional. I want to be a great quarterback."

great article

Geno will be the starter sooner rather than later for sure. Geno seems to "get it"

I'd like to roll him out there week one. Scale down the offense if need be and go with a healthy dosage of Ivory and Goodson with some screen/misdirection plays mixed in and some deep shots to S. Hill to keep the defense honest. If Rex decides to start SUCKchez week one the crowd will boo and it will take out the steam for the team. Sanchez is finished as a starting QB in this league.

Sounds like an entitled diva jerk to me...

All League
    Good stuff...you got to like what your hearing..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post
    Geno will be the starter sooner rather than later for sure. Geno seems to "get it"

I'd like to roll him out there week one. Scale down the offense if need be and go with a healthy dosage of Ivory and Goodson with some screen/misdirection plays mixed in and some deep shots to S. Hill to keep the defense honest. If Rex decides to start SUCKchez week one the crowd will boo and it will take out the steam for the team. Sanchez is finished as a starting QB in this league.
    Definitely.... especially if Sanchez isn't out performing him by a solid margin.

Having Mangold should be big for Geno too, much like T-Rich was for Sanchez in 09, helping with protection calls and such.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

The media is so clueless, I heard people compare him to Jamarcus Russell.

Hall Of Fame
    Great article.

Liking Geno more and more.

Veteran
    I was listening to the JI podcast the other day and couldn't believe me ears as one of the "commentators" was complaining about Genos "attitude" referencing "comments" he has made, the latest being about Jets West as evidence that he has some kind of attitude problem. His co-host gently informed him that the guy had no idea what Jets West was and once explained, had no problem attending.

He then went on to bring up how Smith "only" threw screens and short passes and Stedman and Austin got all the YAC. Again another statement that is incredibly misleading and false. The fact that he got the ball to them "in space" or "in stride" where they could make a "football play" was completely overlooked. Smith has his share of weakness that he has to work on (footwork being one of them) so there is no need to "make stuff up" to suit some kind of agenda...

I can only hope that has Smith gets more reps and experience he will prove ALL his detractors wrong. The guy appears to be a very decent, hard working, focused and humble young man. I definitely rooting from him to succeed, sooner rather than later.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Diddy View Post

Bingo! we have a winner.

People sleep on this kid, he will prove them all wrong.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
    I was listening to the JI podcast the other day and couldn't believe me ears as one of the "commentators" was complaining about Genos "attitude" referencing "comments" he has made, the latest being about Jets West as evidence that he has some kind of attitude problem. His co-host gently informed him that the guy had no idea what Jets West was and once explained, had no problem attending.

He then went on to bring up how Smith "only" threw screens and short passes and Stedman and Austin got all the YAC. Again another statement that is incredibly misleading and false. The fact that he got the ball to them "in space" or "in stride" where they could make a "football play" was completely overlooked. Smith has his share of weakness that he has to work on (footwork being one of them) so there is no need to "make stuff up" to suit some kind of agenda...

I can only hope that has Smith gets more reps and experience he will prove ALL his detractors wrong. The guy appears to be a very decent, hard working, focused and humble young man. I definitely rooting from him to succeed, sooner rather than later.
    I agree that some of the criticism on the podcast was over the top, but some of it was fair. People have to at least admit that there are some big questions about this kid. It's yet to be seen if he can function on the NFL level

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    I agree that some of the criticism on the podcast was over the top, but some of it was fair. People have to at least admit that there are some big questions about this kid. It's yet to be seen if he can function on the NFL level
    Which is exactly what you can say about every high round QB drafted as well as every rookie arriving from college.

Mojo.was IMO way over the line in his comments from saying it.was a huge mistake by the Jets to.take him even in.the second round and showed how dumb the Jets FO is. I believe there is something more to his obvious bias than just football related issues

Because of my respect for Sean, I'm not saying anything more than that

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Which is exactly what you can say about every high round QB drafted as well as every rookie arriving from college.

Mojo.was IMO way over the line in his comments from saying it.was a huge mistake by the Jets to.take him even in.the second round and showed how dumb the Jets FO is. I believe there is something more to his obvious bias than just football related issues

Because of my respect for Sean, I'm not saying anything more than that
    You are not the only one who believes this... kind of sad really.

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    The media is so clueless, I heard people compare him to Jamarcus Russell.
    Now that's just nuts. Hope he does very well and shuts up all the detractors including the in-house retards.

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    People sleep on this kid, he will prove them all wrong.
    +1

Great piece

Quote Originally Posted by JetsMakeMeCry View Post
    Sounds like an entitled diva jerk to me...
    Honestly, I'm kind of glad those pre and post draft reports were written that said he was lazy, entitled, is not coachable, etc, etc, etc.

Because he obviously heard about them and is now trying his hardest to be the complete opposite of that. Which is great for the Jets.
    Last edited by houyx; 06-17-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Practice Squad
    Thanks for posting that really interesting article.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayRay View Post
    Sometimes, he rides in with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who stays at the same hotel. Other times, Smith travels with his roommate, rookie guard Will Campbell.
    On a good day, Smith is back at the hotel around 7 p.m. after dinner, where he and Campbell begin quizzing each other on audibles, each blurting out a random call and the other listing what changes for every position.

"Heíll walk up and say, ĎHey, Geno, Buckeye,킬ĬÖ" Smith said. "Thatís how we learn mentally. I think that helps me out a lot because when you get into the heat of the situation, I donít have time to think, ĎAw, man. Whatís Buckeye?킬ĬÖ"
    I can't help but feel these things give him the inside track to become the starter.