Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerry Rhodes........Uh, yeah!!

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    What game changing plays? The guy has been a starter for 8 full seasons and has 8 Forced Fumbles and 13 sacks. He may flash on rare occasions, but there is a reason the Jets got rid of him and the Cardinals arrived at the same conclusion. While he may "flash" every now and then, he lacks any kind of consistency or toughness. If he was more than marginally better than any old spare part you could stick out there at FS, he'd be on a team.
    The Jets did stick in old spare parts after they traded Rhodes and the D was substantially worse. We were beat on blitzes and got our clocks cleaned by running backs and TE. It wasn't until injury forced them to move Lowery to Safety that the D stabilized. They dumped him for practically nothing and the D took another dive. The Jets have decided to build speed into the line so they don't have to blitz as much from the secondary something we were able to do effectively when Rhodes was our Free Safety.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 06-19-2013 at 10:37 AM.

What game changing plays? The guy has been a starter for 8 full seasons and has 8 Forced Fumbles and 13 sacks. He may flash on rare occasions, but there is a reason the Jets got rid of him and the Cardinals arrived at the same conclusion. While he may "flash" every now and then, he lacks any kind of consistency or toughness. If he was more than marginally better than any old spare part you could stick out there at FS, he'd be on a team.
    The Jets got rid of him because Rex didn't like his "hollywood" persona....Please watch this video of his highlights of just last season and tell me that Rhodes looks like a "marginally" better talent than someone like Eric Smith......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEcwJwJL4fY

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    The Jets got rid of him because Rex didn't like his "hollywood" persona....Please watch this video of his highlights of just last season and tell me that Rhodes looks like a "marginally" better talent than someone like Eric Smith......
    Rhodes had talent no one disagree's with that but he didn't like Rex's system with leonhard calling the D and he got in a fight with the D-back Coach at the time Dennis Thurman that's why he's gone..

Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    The Jets did stick in old spare parts after they traded Rhodes and the D was substantially worse. We were beat on blitzes and got our clocks cleaned by running backs and TE. It wasn't until injury forced them to move Lowery to Safety that the D stabilized. They dumped him for practically nothing and the D took another dive. The Jets have decided to build speed into the line so they don't have to blitz as much from the secondary something we were able to do effectively when Rhodes was our Free Safety.
    Exactly.....straight up victimized by tight ends, especially in 2011

I still think i year 2 and 3 of Rex's system, Rhodes would have been a beast

I agree Lowery was solid as well and then we inexplicitly got rid of him as well

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Rhodes had talent no one disagree's with that but he didn't like Rex's system with leonhard calling the D and he got in a fight with the D-back Coach at the time Dennis Thurman that's why he's gone..
    I think if we hung on to him, gave him another year we would of have had a stud free safety......I admit he struggled picking up the system, but seeing 2010 and 2011 without him, there really isn't a question on if we should have hung on to him in my eyes

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I think if we hung on to him, gave him another year we would of have had a stud free safety......I admit he struggled picking up the system, but seeing 2010 and 2011 without him, there really isn't a question on if we should have hung on to him in my eyes
    Rhodes forced his way off the team what did you want Rex to do give in and play the way Rhodes wanted?? Sometimes certain people that are "Me" players refuse to do what is good for the team.. He didn't struggle with the system he didn't like it or Jim Leonhard..

Exactly. Rhodes was always a pain in the ass, before Rex came in he was giving more leadership by Mangini after a rugged start with him. He and Vilma were good friends watched film together and ran the D on the field. I think he was pissed when Vilma was dumped and he wasn't happy to have Rex's Baltimore guys run the show on the field. Tough that's what happens when new management comes in.

The fact is Rex's D was substantially better with Rhodes on the field than without him. The same was true with Lowery. Both gone as is Thurman.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Exactly. Rhodes was always a pain in the ass, before Rex came in he was giving more leadership by Mangini after a rugged start with him. He and Vilma were good friends watched film together and ran the D on the field. I think he was pissed when Vilma was dumped and he wasn't happy to have Rex's Baltimore guys run the show on the field. Tough that's what happens when new management comes in.

The fact is Rex's D was substantially better with Rhodes on the field than without him. The same was true with Lowery. Both gone as is Thurman.
    By gone do you mean that Thurman is now the new DC??

OR he could have done what the HC wanted him to do. Embrace the defense and his teammates become a much better player in Rex's system (and no one questions that Sherry had the talent to do just that), and as a result? Much better defense, whoich is a big win for the team, fans, CS, HC, owner, and so on and on.

Instead, he was a little b*tch that wanted to play HIS way.

So unless you enjoy complete and total unrest in the organization, you need to have players that will listen and do what the HC wants.

That's why you hire a HC.

Or else no big deal, we don't need a HC, we'll just have the players draw up plays in the dirt during a game, practice when they want to, and who knows what else.

You do know that highlights do not include his bad plays, right? Apparently, the Cards did not feel Kerry's "highlights" warranted keeping him around so he was cut, and remains sitting at home waiting for a call. Successful football players "show up" every play not on just enough to parse together enough plays for a short highlight video.

By gone do you mean that Thurman is now the new DC??
    I meant Pettine.

You do know that highlights do not include his bad plays, right? Apparently, the Cards did not feel Kerry's "highlights" warranted keeping him around so he was cut, and remains sitting at home waiting for a call. Successful football players "show up" every play not on just enough to parse together enough plays for a short highlight video.
    The Cardinals tried to keep him and get him to take a pay cut. He refused and was cut. They did want to keep him they didn't want to pay him 4.5 million.

The Cardinals tried to keep him and get him to take a pay cut. He refused and was cut. They did want to keep him they didn't want to pay him 4.5 million.
    and he has signed with who?

Shutting down tight ends routinely and playing solid coverage overall is not a highlight shown either.....I'm just saying look at those highlights and compare to Eric Smith......He hasn't even made half of those big plays in all of his team here, nevermind in one season.....nor did/does he have the talent to do so

Maybe Rhodes is asking for alot of money.....there are a few talented vets out there unsigned

I guess we can agree to disagree on Kerry Rhodes. IMO, he takes too many plays off, and only decides to bring his A game for one or two games per year. Obviously, others feel differently.

and he has signed with who?
    The Cardinals saved 6 million against the cap on the final year of his contract. They tried to extend him for this year and next. He is likely to sign on for a vet minimum contract or something slightly better. That's the NFL right now.

Lots of good players cut and looking to work for peanuts. The gay thing may keep him from getting a good look. I suspect SF to take a hard look.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    OR he could have done what the HC wanted him to do. Embrace the defense and his teammates become a much better player in Rex's system (and no one questions that Sherry had the talent to do just that), and as a result? Much better defense, whoich is a big win for the team, fans, CS, HC, owner, and so on and on.

Instead, he was a little b*tch that wanted to play HIS way.

So unless you enjoy complete and total unrest in the organization, you need to have players that will listen and do what the HC wants.

That's why you hire a HC.

Or else no big deal, we don't need a HC, we'll just have the players draw up plays in the dirt during a game, practice when they want to, and who knows what else.
    That's life when management changes people can do what they want to do in a free society. They can take it unhappily, adapt to it, or move on. It works pretty well.

I guess we can agree to disagree on Kerry Rhodes. IMO, he takes too many plays off, and only decides to bring his A game for one or two games per year. Obviously, others feel differently.
    Fine with me.....My main point was even Rhodes' "C game" is head and shoulders above the trash we replaced him with, nevermind if he actually stepped up and played his A game all season long

Let's hope our young guys make the most of the opportunity at the safety position this season and beyond

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

The Cardinals saved 6 million against the cap on the final year of his contract. They tried to extend him for this year and next. He is likely to sign on for a vet minimum contract or something slightly better. That's the NFL right now.

Lots of good players cut and looking to work for peanuts. The gay thing may keep him from getting a good look. I suspect SF to take a hard look.
    Yep that would be the place for Rhodes to go even if he don't play football..

Yep that would be the place for Rhodes to go even if he don't play football..
    I would think the prospect of playing for them would be very exciting for him.