Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Kerry Rhodes........Uh, yeah!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    From what I remember about the 2009 season regarding "The Results" with Kerry Rhodes:

Rhodes didn't know his assignment in a MNF game with Miami. Tedd Ginn blew right by him for a 40+ yrd TD. The Jets lost by less than a TD.

Rhodes didn't know his assignment in a game with Jax. Mercedes Lewis blew by him in the seam for a big play helping close out a Jax win.

(I believe he lost his starting job after that).

Rhodes didn't know his assignment at the end of the 1st half of the AFC Championship Game leading to a 4 play 80 yd drive in which a TD pass was completed to exactly where Kerry was supposed to be.

The Results speak for themselves and is why Rex/Pettine jettisoned the guy. He simply couldn't be trusted.
    Yeah he had a few mental lapses, didn't always tackle like he could, but he made up for it with big plays and turnovers and generally shutting down opposing tight ends week after week......Right before Rex got here he was literally our best and most effective pass rusher on the team as a safety as well and still was solid in this role

Our defense in 09 with Rhodes on the team was the best Jets D I've ever seen.....such a mistake to go with Smith/Leonhard over him
    Last edited by King Koopa; 06-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonbiggs View Post
    Simple Money.
    Whatever

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Yeah he had a few mental lapses, didn't always tackle like he could, but he made up for it with big plays and turnovers and generally shutting down opposing tight ends week after week......Right before Rex got here he was literally our best and most effective pass rusher on the team as a safety as well and still was solid in this role

Our defense in 09 with Rhodes on the team was the best Jets D I've ever seen.....such a mistake to go with Smith/Leonhard over him
    Yeah, losing a guy like Jenkins from 09 to the 10 season wasn't a factor. Kerry Rhodes, who was one of the lesser factors in that 09 D was. LOL

Funny, is it on him that the D wasn't better before 09 and Rex came to the Jets? He only gets credit for 09? When has at his Jet worst?

He was a player at times. Just not often enough. No one makes up for poor play, blown assignments and giving away points due to lackadaisical play.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It has nothing to do with what Kerry digs off the job. It has to do with him playing like a pu$$y when he was at work. Don't you remember his half A$$ attempts at tackling? Don't you remember him putting acting AHEAD of his football career? He NEVER gave 100% after he got resigned.

HE made the personal decision that his football career would only be important UNTIL he started acting full time. Then it didn't matter. And even before that, he would give what effort he deemed to be ENOUGH.

Sherry has no one to blame but himself.
    I remember him being the best overall safety the Jets have had in the last 10 years, and one of the few safeties that could consistently cover a tight end. He was a terrific blitzer and had a knack of being around the ball. He was not in an in the box safety. Eric Smith was, Rex loved him and he conistently hurt the team. Kerry was a large part of the reason we had a truly dominant defense, but he was Hollywood. Such crap.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Kris Jenkins had a lot more to do with the dominance of that Defense.
    Carrie was bltching it out as he normally did.
    He most certainly didn't make or break ANY D we've had.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's dispel the notion that Kerry Rhodes is anything other than a very athletic guy who has completely wasted his potential. He is a free safety. Really good Free Safeties intercept the ball. In 118 career games, he has 23 interceptions. That is a 16 game season average of 3.12.

Let's compare that to Eric Smith, who played more SS than FS. In 96 career games, he has 6 career interceptions for a 16 game season average of 1.00

Delving a little deeper we see that Rhodes started 116 of his 118 games, while Smith started only 36 of his 96 career games. I would take this as a safe bet that Rhodes has a considerable advantage over Smith in snaps played.

What does this mean? It means that Rhodes performed only marginally better than a slow-footed career back-up who started for a little more than 2 seasons because the Jets had crappy Safeties. In other words, why pay Rhodes to be on your team when he is just a little better than a guy off
    the street.

Gay or not, (not that it really matters) Rhodes is over-valued by many for no apparent good reason other than he looks like he should be a really good FS.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    I remember when Rex first got here he brought in Douglas, Scott and Leonhard to help bring the rest up to speed learning the D.

Guys like Revis, Harris and Jenkins learned from these men, but Rhodes was having fits because he wasn't making the calls and wouldn't defer to Leonhard in this area and was being a pain in the ass. Too bad, if he put the team first and gave it his all he would of been one of the best FS in the league all while wearing green and white.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post
    I remember when Rex first got here he brought in Douglas, Scott and Leonhard to help bring the rest up to speed learning the D.

Guys like Revis, Harris and Jenkins learned from these men, but Rhodes was having fits because he wasn't making the calls and wouldn't defer to Leonhard in this area and was being a pain in the ass. Too bad, if he put the team first and gave it his all he would of been one of the best FS in the league all while wearing green and white.

YEP!

For some reason everyone seems to forget that part... That and he was soft and Rex was too mean for his comfort.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaPZ187 View Post

Plus he got in a fight with Coach Thurman..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    YEP!

For some reason everyone seems to forget that part... That and he was soft and Rex was too mean for his comfort.
    They also seem to forget that he sucked his last couple of years.

He only began to play when people couldn't see him doing nothing in AZ. Then he became a stud.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agenda and hate?

This thread is about Sherry Rhodes, NOT what you perceive as Rex Ryan's failures.

So riddle me this Ruth Bader Ginsburg...

WHY do you think Sherry doesn't have a job right now?
    OMG you calling him Sherry. That is so funny. I get it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Well, he did not steal millions dollars from a dying old man. If he did, we would call him "Belly Rhodes".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    This man uh... Gets it. Had to be said.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty hilarious that a man's sexual orientation is the hottest thread on the strip, especially for those posting that this certain topic "disgusts."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    How much expression do we need? I just made love to my wife last night, and feel no need or yearning to express it to others. Nor do i ram my tongue down her throat in public to show off my feelings for her or to project my beliefs.

I need no special flags, no special "honk if youre straight" bumper stickers to promote my agenda, nor do i wish to have others thrust upon me to accept, when my personal beliefs tell me there is nothing about it which is right or acceptable.
    Ha, "personal beliefs." I used to read the book that gave me my "personal beliefs." I too had my parents, teachers and priests tell me what my "personal beliefs" were. I'm sure that you don't shave your beard, eat shellfish or wear clothing with mixed fibers because that would be against the "personal beliefs" that were spoon fed to you. Did you ever really read that book? It's filled with homicide, infanticide and genocide. Not exactly a book of moral code.

Gay people have flags, bumper stickers and parades to "promote" their "agenda" because of intolerant people like you. They aren't promoting an agenda, they are just trying to be treated exactly like a straight person. Nobody bats an eyelash if a straight couple is canoodling on the street, but when two guys are doing the same thing, intolerant people like yourself get their panties in a bunch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no question he is gay. I'm sorry but any dude rolling in the sheets with another sausage has got to be gay. That's just f*cking wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    I would bang you so hard and wouldn't pull out. Then you'd be slurping your own poo off my purple mushroom. Trust me, you'll love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    This post is remarkable.
    +1, this exchange didn't get nearly the attention it deserved.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    at least Rhodes isn't under investigation for a homocide

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    at least Rhodes isn't under investigation for a homo-cide
    Yes he is

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Yeah, losing a guy like Jenkins from 09 to the 10 season wasn't a factor. Kerry Rhodes, who was one of the lesser factors in that 09 D was. LOL

Funny, is it on him that the D wasn't better before 09 and Rex came to the Jets? He only gets credit for 09? When has at his Jet worst?

He was a player at times. Just not often enough. No one makes up for poor play, blown assignments and giving away points due to lackadaisical play.
    Jenkins was obviously much more of a factor.....But I think that a season into Rex's system, Kerry Rhodes would have been even better going into 2010 and beyond......His athleticism and natural ability blew away the guys that we tried to replace him with......I admit he struggled on occasion the last year with us but I think he would have been back to his Mangini-form going forward

We certainly missed Kerry back there in 2010 and 2011......Bell and Landry were fine though last season

Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I remember him being the best overall safety the Jets have had in the last 10 years, and one of the few safeties that could consistently cover a tight end. He was a terrific blitzer and had a knack of being around the ball. He was not in an in the box safety. Eric Smith was, Rex loved him and he conistently hurt the team. Kerry was a large part of the reason we had a truly dominant defense, but he was Hollywood. Such crap.
    Agreed 100%.....He made big, game changing plays.....How quickly fans forget

Agreed he had more to do with it, but we missed Rhodes as well......Especially when you replace him with absolute trash like Eric Smith, essentially

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Let's dispel the notion that Kerry Rhodes is anything other than a very athletic guy who has completely wasted his potential. He is a free safety. Really good Free Safeties intercept the ball. In 118 career games, he has 23 interceptions. That is a 16 game season average of 3.12.

Let's compare that to Eric Smith, who played more SS than FS. In 96 career games, he has 6 career interceptions for a 16 game season average of 1.00

Delving a little deeper we see that Rhodes started 116 of his 118 games, while Smith started only 36 of his 96 career games. I would take this as a safe bet that Rhodes has a considerable advantage over Smith in snaps played.

What does this mean? It means that Rhodes performed only marginally better than a slow-footed career back-up who started for a little more than 2 seasons because the Jets had crappy Safeties. In other words, why pay Rhodes to be on your team when he is just a little better than a guy off
    the street.

Gay or not, (not that it really matters) Rhodes is over-valued by many for no apparent good reason other than he looks like he should be a really good FS.
    To suggest that Rhodes is just marginally better than Eric Smith is asinine......Rhodes is a good (Not very good or even elite, but "good) starting free safety. Eric Smith is an absolute liability out there with little to no playmaking skills. It's not a comparison.

To just base it off of purely interceptions is also way off base.......Rhodes shut down some of the better tight ends out there, while Eric Smith got burned routinely by the worst.......What about the times Rhodes would go crazy off the edge with the strip sacks? Those gamechanging plays don't count? I've literally never seen Eric Smith do anything "great" for our team.....I recall plenty of big plays when it comes to Rhodes

Again, not even a comparison
    Last edited by King Koopa; 06-19-2013 at 01:10 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

To suggest that Rhodes is just marginally better than Eric Smith is asinine......Rhodes is a good (Not very good or even elite, but "good) starting free safety. Eric Smith is an absolute liability out there with little to no playmaking skills. It's not a comparison.

To just base it off of purely interceptions is also way off base.......Rhodes shut down some of the better tight ends out there, while Eric Smith got burned routinely by the worst.......What about the times Rhodes would go crazy off the edge with the strip sacks? Those gamechanging plays don't count? I've literally never seen Eric Smith do anything "great" for our team.....I recall plenty of big plays when it comes to Rhodes

Again, not even a comparison
    What game changing plays? The guy has been a starter for 8 full seasons and has 8 Forced Fumbles and 13 sacks. He may flash on rare occasions, but there is a reason the Jets got rid of him and the Cardinals arrived at the same conclusion. While he may "flash" every now and then, he lacks any kind of consistency or toughness. If he was more than marginally better than any old spare part you could stick out there at FS, he'd be on a team.